X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithuania Overpowers China In Win - Kleiza Completely Outplays Yi Jianlian

Lithuania Wins 78-67 out rebounding China 50 - 30

World Champs eighthfinals, Day 4
    The 2010 World Championships quarterfinals are almost set! Lithuania downed China 78-67 behind 30 points from All-Euroleague forward Linas Kleiza.
    http://www.euroleague.net/

For most of the game Kleiza was matched up with Yi Jianlian of the Wiz on both ends of the court.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...jianlyi01.html

Kleiza completely dominated Yi on both offense and defense.

Kleiza finished with 30 points almost all of them coming from 15 feet and in. Kleiza used his upper body strength and quick moves to overpower the weaker Chinese defenders including Yi. Kleiza scored with variety of moves including hard drives to the basket, baseline drives and reverse, pull up and spot up jump shots as well as a at least one baby hook in the lane on a 180 reverse. He missed on his only two, three point attempts and made two of three from the foul line.

Kleiza just missed finishing with a double double falling one rebound short as he finished with nine rebounds.

On defense Kleiza used his upper body strength to force Yi into taking awkward shots and as well as keeping Yi off his sweet spots. I don't recall Yi taking Kleiza off the dribble even once in the game.

box score to follow
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Sep 7, 2010, 01:31 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

box

http://turkey2010.fiba.com//pages/en...4728/game.html

Kleiza 30/9 - far and away the POG
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Yi did finish with 12 rebounds but he was only 4 of 9 from field finishing with 11 points and could not stop Kleiza at all.

Box Score here

http://turkey2010.fiba.com//pages/en...4728/game.html
      Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Sep 7, 2010, 01:28 PM.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

WOO. I'm lovin' Kleiza's game. Gonna help us alot. He can score from any spot on the court, and do it well. Excited for the start of the season, really want to see how he plays!

btw, I think Russia will give the US a huge challenge. I watched the game, Rus-Nzl and till the third quarter both teams played real well, and hussled to like crazy. But the russians were way to big, and shot way to well!

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          Lithuania Wins 78-67 out rebounding China 50 - 30

World Champs eighthfinals, Day 4
          The 2010 World Championships quarterfinals are almost set! Lithuania downed China 78-67 behind 30 points from All-Euroleague forward Linas Kleiza.
          http://www.euroleague.net/

For most of the game Kleiza was matched up with Yi Jianlian of the Wiz on both ends of the court.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...jianlyi01.html

Kleiza completely dominated Yi on both offense and defense.

Kleiza finished with 30 points almost all of them coming from 15 feet and in. Kleiza used his upper body strength and quick moves to overpower the weaker Chinese defenders including Yi. Kleiza scored with variety of moves including hard drives to the basket, baseline drives and reverse, pull up and spot up jump shots as well as a at least one baby hook in the lane on a 180 reverse. He missed on his only two, three point attempts and made two of three from the foul line.

Kleiza just missed finishing with a double double falling one rebound short as he finished with nine rebounds.

On defense Kleiza used his upper body strength to force Yi into taking awkward shots and as well as keeping Yi off his sweet spots. I don't recall Yi taking Kleiza off the dribble even once in the game.

box score to follow
          judging by the game outline and throughout the tournament seems like hes been working on his post and inside game alot in Europe. except im still on the fence about if he could play pf in the nba. seems like it depends on the match-ups he gets that shows if he cant take advantage of them or not i dont know if he can defend a gasol or a boozer or a nowitzki.

Comment

Sweet!
            I love that he did so much damage on the interior!
            The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

blaze89 wrote: View Post
              judging by the game outline and throughout the tournament seems like hes been working on his post and inside game alot in Europe. except im still on the fence about if he could play pf in the nba. seems like it depends on the match-ups he gets that shows if he cant take advantage of them or not i dont know if he can defend a gasol or a boozer or a nowitzki.
              Even if he can't play a huge amount at PF, his post moves will be very handy backing down SF's.
              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Who said anything about him playing PF in the NBA?

He is physically like a Paul Pierce. A stronger and slower #3
                Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Sep 7, 2010, 03:40 PM.

Comment

He is physically like a Paul Pierce. A bigger and slower #3
                  Thats the problem I have with him. He's not fast enought to guard the likes of Lebron, Gay, Pierce, and he is not big enough to guard most PFs in the league, he is pretty much at a disadvantage when it comes to defence.

Comment

He is physically like a Paul Pierce. A bigger and slower #3
                    no one did, just know one of the purposes BC brought him in was for his inside game refering that he was going to play some PF and the way hes playing in this tournament is going to make jay and Bryan more inclined to use him there.

i agree with you with the comparison and he is a slower but bigger 3 i just hope that they decide to keep him there instead of using him alot at the #4 is what i was trying to imply lol

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                      Even if he can't play a huge amount at PF, his post moves will be very handy backing down SF's.
                      Today most of his scoring came facing the basket on not on post up plays. He scored a lot in the paint but that was because he received a pass while in there or dribbled into the paint. Very little post up.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                        deffinately, thats why i think his game is way more suited for the 3 considering it seems like he has a decent inside and outside game he could be very effective offensively. and imagine him and demar on either side of the going in for the back-door cuts and baseline jams? getting me pumped

Comment

deffinately, thats why i think his game is way more suited for the 3 considering it seems like he has a decent inside and outside game he could be very effective offensively. and imagine him and demar on either side of the going in for the back-door cuts and baseline jams? getting me pumped
                          bigtime ... good balance there, different styles.

Comment

Next up for Lithuania is Argentina.

Kleiza vs Scola.

They could even wind up guarding one another.

Though if I were the Lithuania coach and with each player getting only five fouls in FIBA play I would try and find someone else besides Kleiza to guard Scola

Lithuania probably doesn't have much of a chance and if Kleiza plays the game in foul trouble they will have zero chance.

Comment

matt wrote: View Post
                              Thats the problem I have with him. He's not fast enought to guard the likes of Lebron, Gay, Pierce, and he is not big enough to guard most PFs in the league, he is pretty much at a disadvantage when it comes to defence.
                              Who the hell is fast enough to be able to guard those players? I don't know one player in the league that can guard LeBron. Boston was able to slow him down by teaming up on him. What Kleiza will bring is the ability to prevent the bigger small forwards from scoring in the post, which would be nice.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X