No announcement yet.

Lithuania Up 20 at Halftime - Only Kleiza Misses Threes for Them in 1st Half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithuania Up 20 at Halftime - Only Kleiza Misses Threes for Them in 1st Half

Tenacious defense by Lithuania in the first half and 8 for 10 on threes bolts them to a 50-30 half time lead.

Kleiza and Scola both with only seven at halftime.

To be updated.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

85-53 Lithuania after three quarters

Argentina just doesn't have any energy today.

Their legs are dead.

Three point shooting off and slow on defense.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
      85-53 Lithuania after three quarters

Argentina just doesn't have any energy today.

Their legs are dead.

Three point shooting off and slow on defense.
      Buddah, which defence?

Comment

I'm watching as well. Couple of things:

For the most part, Argentina have simply dumped the ball to Scola and are expecting him to do something. Reminds me of how the Raps used to play with Bosh. Mostly Scola is just shooting mid-range jumpers (again...Bosh). As his shots rim out or brick, so go the hopes of Argentina if they continue to play this way (see: above comment on Bosh).

Kleiza is being doubled a lot, which is opening up the floor for the other players, who are simply taking it to Argentina. Kleiza is making the good passes.

I can see Kleiza playing very well with Amir and Davis, with Amir/Davis there to clean up Kleiza's misses and vice-versa. They play close to the rim. As such their misses don't cause wild rebounds, leaving plenty of opportunity for putbacks.

Comment

Announcers just made a good point: Kleiza just seems to be doing whatever Lithuania needs at the time. He's not scoring a crazy amount (though he is scoring), but he's grabbing timely boards, setting the good picks, getting good stops, in general playing like a vet. He's got no handle, though he's pretty efficient scoring up close.

It's the first time I've seen him play here, and I was hoping to see him light it up (which he hasn't). I've been pretty pleased though with the way he has been playing. The rest of Lithuania is doing the scoring.

Scola, by the way, has been guarding Kleiza. Kleiza is not guarding Scola.

Comment

Lithuania hit the big 100!

Comment

That's game. Argentina simply got destroyed.

Comment

So far there are a number of things I have noticed about Kleiza.

1. He has hustled almost continually on both ends of the court - Of course this is playing for his national team so we shall just have to see how it translates

2. He has a very nice game from 15 feet and in with a number of moves and can use both hands effectively.

3. He bodies up well on defense though he can be pinned and gotten by

4. Not great handles, can have the ball stripped but seems to be always looking for the best opportunity for the team except when he is expected to shoot on a given play.

5. Not very effective from beyond fifteen feet to maybe 20 feet.

6. Strong for a #3

7. Seems like a great teammate. Was the first over to pick up a fallen teammate. Was the first over to check on another teammate injured on a play. Looks to pass to his teammates even when he is open, if he thinks that they have a better shot. Are you reading this Jarrett Jack?

Considering that the Raptors are paying him about $5 million a year I think they will get their monies worth. I think if fans keep it in that perspective and not try and compare him to the SF's in the league that are making $10 - 20 million a year then they will be very happy with his play in 10-11.

8. I think he will be an overall positive both in the locker room and on the court, which is a lot more than can be said of "Ball"

Comment

1. He has hustled almost continually on both ends of the court - Of course this is playing for his national team so we shall just have to see how it translates

2. He has a very nice game from 15 feet and in with a number of moves and can use both hands effectively.

4. Not great handles, can have the ball stripped but seems to be always looking for the best opportunity for the team except when he is expected to shoot on a given play.

6. Strong for a #3

7. Seems like a great teammate. Was the first over to pick up a fallen teammate. Was the first over to check on another teammate injured on a play. Looks to pass to his teammates even when he is open, if he thinks that they have a better shot. Are you reading this Jarrett Jack?

Considering that the Raptors are paying him about $5 million a year I think they will get their monies worth. I think if fans keep it in that perspective and not try and compare him to the SF's in the league that are making $10 - 20 million a year then they will be very happy with his play in 10-11.

8. I think he will be an overall positive both in the locker room and on the court, which is a lot more than can be said of "Ball"
                  i wanted him on the raps before he even went to europe......can't wait to see him this season going to be even better

Comment

Good post Buddah. I think Kleiza is a much better long distance shooter then you've seen. The problem with his outside shooting is he's very streaky. When he's on watch out he can go for 30 points easily in a game. Good fit for an offensively challenged team that lacks that killer offensive insticts that Kleiza has. Kleiza will help the raptors alot and will be the starting SF.

Comment

I also posted this in the "Lets NBA" section as a separate thread.

Scola Is A Sore Loser and Dirty MF

Obviously I didn't see all the body contact that Scola was involved with during the game vs Lithuania but what I did see there is in my opinion never ever a valid reason for the cheap shot punk play like Scola made in the 4th quarter vs Lithuania.

The play was dead or Argentina had just turned the ball over on this play when the outcome of the game was no longer in question.

One of the Lithuanian players was standing with his back to Scola about a foot or two away. Scola took his right arm bent it and gave a full force back of the right forearm to the back to the neck of the Lithuania player. They were not jockeying for position at the time so the play was not accidental and incidental. It was just a gangster cheap shot.

There is never ever a reason for a basketball player to drive a forearm shiv into the back of the neck of another. I don't care if not stopping that player from scoring would cost you a FIBA or NBA title. That is just cheap shot punk BS play.

In this case there was not even a benefit to his team by doing it but just a gangster attempt to try and get out some of the frustration of a humiliating defeat.

He just went on my NBA all time punks list.

Welcome Luis. May your future career give you all that you deserve, punk

Comment

Kleiza finished with 17 and 9 and 3 turnovers in 35 minutes on 7 of 14 from the field

Scola finished with 13 and 4

Delfino with 25 and 4. The vast majority of Delfino's points came on layups and free throws. He was 8 of 12 from the field and 6 of 6 from the foul line.

http://turkey2010.fiba.com//pages/en...4728/game.html

Comment

USA's strategy...

USA saw double teaming Kleiza won't work.
                          So they will put Durant on him one-on-one

As a team, Lithuania plays better
                          but individually, USA is more athletic

I hope for the Green Team to upset USA...
                          but it's gonna be really really tough.

Comment

6. Strong for a #3

Great post Buddahfan! Are you listening Jack??? ( PRICELESS)

Comment

I also posted this in the "Lets NBA" section as a separate thread.

Scola Is A Sore Loser and Dirty MF

Obviously I didn't see all the body contact that Scola was involved with during the game vs Lithuania but what I did see there is in my opinion never ever a valid reason for the cheap shot punk play like Scola made in the 4th quarter vs Lithuania.

The play was dead or Argentina had just turned the ball over on this play when the outcome of the game was no longer in question.

One of the Lithuanian players was standing with his back to Scola about a foot or two away. Scola took his right arm bent it and gave a full force back of the right forearm to the back to the neck of the Lithuania player. They were not jockeying for position at the time so the play was not accidental and incidental. It was just a gangster cheap shot.

There is never ever a reason for a basketball player to drive a forearm shiv into the back of the neck of another. I don't care if not stopping that player from scoring would cost you a FIBA or NBA title. That is just cheap shot punk BS play.

In this case there was not even a benefit to his team by doing it but just a gangster attempt to try and get out some of the frustration of a humiliating defeat.

He just went on my NBA all time punks list.

Welcome Luis. May your future career give you all that you deserve, punk
                              He's on my list for Greasiest NBA players too! Cut your hair hippie!

Comment

Working...
                              X