Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calderon To Bobcats Rumors Heat Up Again? - Will Jose Calderon be a Bobcat Monday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calderon To Bobcats Rumors Heat Up Again? - Will Jose Calderon be a Bobcat Monday?

Why Monday? - My guess is because it is the first day after the completion of the FIBA tournament
    =============================

Will Jose Calderon be a Bobcat Monday?
    September 9th, 2010 | by Steve Clarke |

As first discussed in a previous blog here at JurassicHoops.com, all signs point to Bryan Colangelo making a big play for Erick Dampier’s expiring deal on Monday. Today, Jarrett Jack spoke about the situation in a slamonline.com interview, commenting that the Raptors seem likely to make another move before training camp, and my money is on the Raps and Bobcats finally consummating a Jose Calderon-to-Charlotte deal.

Reports earlier today said BC has been considering making a play for Louis Amundson. Could a Charlotte-Toronto-Phoenix sign and trade deal work? My guess is where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

Putting the Amundson issue aside, as I stated in that previous entry, the league’s collective bargaining agreement would allow for a deal such as:

Calderon + Reggie Evans + Marcus Banks in exchange for Dampier and Boris Diaw.

In this scenario, Charlotte gets their PG, Toronto gets bigger. Whether Dampier would ever take the court if acquired is another issue – if he were to be acquired, he’s said he’s agreeable to having his contract voided and re-written at a more reasonable number. Reports say Diaw is in terrible shape, so this is a factor to consider, as well.

Don’t be surprised one bit if Calderon says “Adios” to the ACC on Monday or shortly thereafter. Regardless of whether my speculation holds true, some sort of significant transaction by BC seems imminent.
    Jose Going Going Gone?

Personally I don't know what the Bobcats would do with four point guards

Calderon
    Augustine
    Livingston
    Banks

Then again if the Raptors could manage to land Augustine

Calderon
    Evans

Total $14.1 million

for

Dampier $13 million non-guaranteed
    Augustine - Team option in 11-12 and QO in 12-13

Total $15.5

I would go for that trade
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Sep 10, 2010, 03:38 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

So, because Jarrett Jack, who isn't involved in the decision making process, said it SEEMED LIKELY that the Raptors would make another move, this writer, without any sources whatsoever, speculated that it's a deal involving Calderon going to Charlotte.

I've obviously got no problem with people writing blogs, but Buddahfan, why on earth would you reprint it here as if it's somehow some sort of scoop?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      So, because Jarrett Jack, who isn't involved in the decision making process, said it SEEMED LIKELY that the Raptors would make another move, this writer, without any sources whatsoever, speculated that it's a deal involving Calderon going to Charlotte.

I've obviously got no problem with people writing blogs, but Buddahfan, why on earth would you reprint it here as if it's somehow some sort of scoop?
      Good question:

It is a slow day on the forum and I did not want to start another Bargnani or Johnson thread.

Have plenty to discuss tomorrow regarding Lithuania vs Team USA. but today is a bit slow.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

What are the details on Diaws contract? I'd pull it off if he's under 3 years. Or if he's traded right away.

Comment

Damp is kind of old and we need an actual Center not tax relief from that position. If we accept Jack as our starting pg they do have some fairly strong guys who would make great backups... Only thing is I can't imagine them moving Jose for anything less than a potential starter, and more importantly, I would be stunned if BC trusts MJ right now.

Comment

This is my guess...
            Calderon to Charlotte
            Dampier to Toronto
            Toronto's TPE to Charlotte
            Diaw to Team X
            Team X Player(s) Y to Toronto

I think it would have to be a three-team deal because... if Jose is going to Charlotte, Diaw is leaving, and I don't think BC wants him any more than Jose anyway. Tyson Chandler was the reason the other deal almost went through.

Any suggestions on who Team X Player(s) Y could be?

BTW, the reason Monday is the magic day... it's when Dampier's trade restrictions go away. Right now he can't be traded with other players, only on his own.
            Last edited by jrdyck; Fri Sep 10, 2010, 05:08 PM.

Comment

No kidding. There's a whole lotta speculation here but thanks for giving me something to read while im supposed to be working.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

The question I have is why would we trade for Diaw! there isn't enough play time for him under current roster. Personally, I dont think Dampier is an upgrade over what we have as potential centre players AB/ Amir/ Dorsey/ Evans Alabi and ED. Jose is a much more productive player at his position so on its own that is a lopsided traded in favour of Charlotte (unless we will take his contract to waive him latter on).

I've seen Diaw in the back to back that France played against Canada at the ACC a few weeks ago. He looked fat (by NBA standards) and did not impact the game? Why would we give up our expirings to take him on especially if he is going to take away mins from our young forwards. We would be doing Charlotte a great dead and this should come at a premium. These expirings will get us more at the trade deadline when a lot of teams will try to get out of some contracts or make room for next summer.

I'm for Jose Dampier trde (tete a tete if Damp is to be waived) that will take Joses salasry off our books and give us a lot of financial felxibility. But Diaw for expirings (Evans and Marcus) is not enough we have to get something more for taking on his salary.

Comment

I like the trade. It gives the Raptors a guy who can guard three positions and handle the ball at times in a point forward role. Diaw would be eager to perform the role that made Turkoglu resent the Raptors. I don't really view Dampier as a "cap dump" because the Raptors really are swaping two expiring contract themselves in the process. I think this deal would really help things in Toronto. It would make room for Weems (GF) and Barbosa (G). Weems could come off the bench to spell DeRozan, Barbosa could play the point while sharing playmaking duties with two good ball handlers in Weems and Diaw. This makes a lot of sense and further gravitates the team towards what Colangelo sought to do when first entering Toronto. Meanwhile the Raptors get a true center who can play solid minutes in a backup role. A bench lineup of Barbosa, Weems, Kleiza, Davis and Dampier is mighty, mighty good. This isn't on par with the rumored Raptors/Bobcats trade of the summer but its not that far off. Meanwhile, the Raptors retain their player exception to potentially use at the deadline when struggling teams are looking to sell.

Comment

doug smith said today he talked to management and there is nothing happening. either they arent saying anything since the failed trades or this is bunk. I'm thinking bunk.

Comment

I wont believe any trades until they actually happen.

Comment

aintno4s wrote: View Post
                        doug smith said today he talked to management and there is nothing happening. either they arent saying anything since the failed trades or this is bunk. I'm thinking bunk.
                        I can think of a number of occasions where Doug Smith has said something wasn't going to happen and it did happen.

Comment

aintno4s wrote: View Post
                          I don't think that the Raptors would do anything while Triano was in Turkey with Team USA.

No doubt that he would be be involved in all trade decisions.

Yes he could be consulted by phone, but then maybe the Raptors want to see what Kleiza will do in the second game that Lithuania plays vs team USA before deciding on whether they want Diaw.

I used to be high on Diaw but now I would just as soon play Kleiza and try and get Augustine to back up Jack if Calderon is going to be traded.

Is there any truth to the Raptors still exploring moving Calderon?

It would seem reasonable that BC will continue to look for an opportunity or two to improve the Raptors before the pre-season starts and even up to the beginning of the season. Though I wouldn't want to wager on whether anything might happen with the Bobcats over the next 6 weeks or so.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                            Good question:

It is a slow day on the forum and I did not want to start another Bargnani or Johnson thread.

Have plenty to discuss tomorrow regarding Lithuania vs Team USA. but today is a bit slow.
                            Eh. Fair enough.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

unless augstine is involved, BC should just lead jordan on, and then take the deal away at the last minute. diaw is not needed now that klieza is impressing, as well as he looks out of shape, plus we have the ygnz.

agustine & the ygnz, thats a fast break team and a half!
                              Last edited by Afro_Daddy; Fri Sep 10, 2010, 07:17 PM.
                              No Dissrespect...
                              With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.. You hear me BC?

Comment

Working...
                              X