Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has The EC Gotten Stronger vs the WC Since the June 10 Draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has The EC Gotten Stronger vs the WC Since the June 10 Draft?

Since the overall change in the strength of the EC will have an impact on the Raptors win total in 10-11 I wanted to look at this to see if the EC strengthened itelf visa via the WC since the end of the 09-10 season. This analysis is an attempt to isolate the player movement between the EC and WC since and including the June 2010 draft.
    --------------------------------------------

Top Players Moving East to West
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1. David Lee to Warrirors
    2. Josh Childress to Phoenix - From Greece
    3. Luke Ridnour to T-Wolves
    4. Matt Barnes to Lakers
    5. Samuel Dalembert to Kings
    6. Michael Beasley to T-Wolves
    7. Brad Miller to Houston
    8. Al Harrington to Nuggets
    9. Hedo Turkoglu to Phoenix
    10. Courtney Lee to Rockets
    11.Tyson Chandler to Dallas

Top Players Moving West to East
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1. Amare Stoudemire to Knicks
    2. Carlos Boozer to Bulls
    3. Eric Dampier to Charlotte - Charlotte however is looking to trade him
    4. Linas Kleiza to Raptors - From Greece
    5. Anthony Morrow to Nets
    6. C.J. Watson to Bulls
    7. Darren Collison to Pacers
    8. Drew Gooden to Bucks
    9. Anthony Randolph to Knicks
    10. Leandro Barbosa to Raptors

I would give the advantage to the WC on the player movement due to the greater depth and higher talent level of the quality players moving East to West.

Lottery Draft PIcks WC
    -------------------------------------
    Wesley Johnson
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Ekpe Udoh
    Al-Farouq Aminu
    Gordon Hayward
    Cole Aldrich
    Xavier Henry
    Patrick Patterson

Total Lottery PIcks 8 including 5 top 10 picks

Lottery Draft PIcks EC
    -------------------------------------
    John Wall
    Evan Turner
    Derrick Favors
    Greg Monroe
    Paul George
    Ed Davis

Total Lottery PIcks 6 including 5 top 10 picks

Average First Round Draft Position
    --------------------------------------------------
    WC - 9
    EC - 7

Total First Round Picks
    ------------------------------------
    WC - 17
    EC ----13

The EC nabbed the first three picks and then only three more among the lottery group.. The success of the EC vs the WC in the June 10 draft will probably rest very heavily on the success of the first three picks in the draft plus Ed Davis.

Comparing the two conferences it looks like the EC could be considered the "three run home run" conference. Baseball fans will understand the significance of this phrase. The WC on the other hand looks more like a line drive hitting team with fewer home runs but more base runners and eventually some runs scored but a lot of runners left on base. The winner in the draft? Obviously too early to call but at this point I will give a slight edge to the EC. I just love those three run home runs.

Conclusion:
    --------------------------
    The EC acquired some home run hitters in the draft along some guys to get on base in front of them. In addition the EC acquired two home run hitters and a bunch of basically average to mediocre players via trades and free agent signings.

The WC acquired a lot of line drive hitters in the draft. In addition the WC acquired around 11 solid above average NBA players via trades and free agency signings.

Lets combine the draft, trade and free agency player acquisitons since the June draft. A handful of home hitter type players to the EC vs a solid group of above average players in quantity to the WC.

It seems to me that at this point since the draft the WC has strengthened itself more than the EC has since the June 10 draft unless the three home run hitters drafted by EC teams along with Davis manage to fulfill their potential. Then I would give a slight advantage to the EC

So how will this affect the Raptors in 10-11?

It seems to me that in 2010-11 the EC overall will be a little weaker visa via the WC than it was in 09-10. Therefore the overall player movement among the teams should benefit the Raptors win total slightly in 10-11 visa via 09-10 since they play more games against EC teams.

Hopefully an analyis of the impact that the player movement will have regarding the EC playoff seeding goes in the 10-11 season will be forthcoming next month.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Sep 14, 2010, 04:00 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

I was about to comment on Drew still staying east until I totally blanked on him
    playing with the Clippers. I was under the impression he was still with the Bulls beforehand. Played for about 5 other teams in about the span of a year. Delonte ended up getting waived by Minnesota and is back east with Boston.

Comment

Rg1990 wrote: View Post
      I was about to comment on Drew still staying east until I totally blanked on him
      playing with the Clippers. I was under the impression he was still with the Bulls beforehand. Played for about 5 other teams in about the span of a year. Delonte ended up getting waived by Minnesota and is back east with Boston.
      Thanks

I made the correction and removed West.

I also orginally missed the Dalembert deal until I got a gentle reminder from @stackmack
      Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Sep 14, 2010, 04:01 PM.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Yeah I'm trying to think of anyone else but all I have now is James Posey going to Indiana from
        New Orleans

Comment

Rg1990 wrote: View Post
          Yeah I'm trying to think of anyone else but all I have now is James Posey going to Indiana from
          New Orleans
          He was on the original list but didn't make the cut of who I consider the better players changing conferences.

Comment

EC > WC

No matter how many relative theories one pulls out of thin air the Rap's will be lucky to win 25 games this season- as is, under Jay aka MistaDoblina:

Comment

You also have to look directly on the teams, who's gotten better and who's gotten worse:

Miami - Alot better
              Chicago - Alot better
              Orlando - same/worse
              Millwauakee - better
              Boston - same/better/worse
              Atlanta - same/worse
              New York - better
              Philadelphia - better
              Charlotte - worse/same
              Indiana - better/same
              Detroit - better/same
              New Jersey - better
              Toronto - alot worse
              Washington - better/same
              Cleveland - alot worse

Out of last season teams only 3 teams have gotten worse coming to this season: Toronto, Cleveland and Charlotte. While everyone else either stayed the same or gotten better.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                You also have to look directly on the teams, who's gotten better and who's gotten worse:

Miami - Alot better
                Chicago - Alot better
                Orlando - same/worse
                Millwauakee - better
                Boston - same/better/worse
                Atlanta - same/worse
                New York - better
                Philadelphia - better
                Charlotte - worse/same
                Indiana - better/same
                Detroit - better/same
                New Jersey - better
                Toronto - alot worse
                Washington - better/same
                Cleveland - alot worse

Out of last season teams only 3 teams have gotten worse coming to this season: Toronto, Cleveland and Charlotte.
                While everyone else either stayed the same or gotten better.

If you have any support to your statement, I am sure that all the readers would love to see it.

At this point I don't have an opinion on the individual teams in the EC and whether they have gotten better or worse visa via each other. I want to see how the teams play the last four games of the pre-season before giving an opinion on it.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                  If you have any support to your statement, I am sure that all the readers would love to see it.
                  umm the fact that Toronto lost Bosh, the fact that Cleveland lost Lebron and the Bobcats have lost their starting pg (Felton) and starting center (Chandler) without adequate replacement would suggest that all 3 of these teams have gotten worse then they were last season.

Comment

The Bobcats got worse because they signed Kwame Brown. End of story

Comment

Working...
                    X