Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dampier Released - Should The Raptors Dump Someone To Sign Him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dampier Released - Should The Raptors Dump Someone To Sign Him?

# More Higgins: “Out of respect to (Dampier), we have decided to release him ... so he may pursue opportunities ... prior to training camp.” 15 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

Bobs GM Rod Higgins: “We explored several trade possibilities involving Erick, but ultimately have been unable to find a viable option ..." 17 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

Bobcats -- wow -- just announced release of Erick Dampier. Which means Damp will get to pick his next destination after clearing waivers
    http://http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

The Raptors are currently at the maximum of 15 players counting including Weems and Dorsey both of whom right now have non-guaranteed contracts.

So it seems to me that if the Raptors are going to want to sign Dampier that they are going to have to get rid of one of the following four players to do it.

1. Buy out Evans or Banks

or

2. Release Weems or Dorsey

Should they let one of those plaeys go and sign Dampier?
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Sep 14, 2010, 04:27 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

I wasn't aware that we were in "Win Now" mode...

But in all seriousness - I understand you're simply posing a question but the answer is absolutely never in hell should we acquire any short-term talent. Hell we should be seriously considering moving anyone that won't be useful in 2-3 years from now when we'd be aiming at making a push for becoming a contender. Any short term solutions before that are simply reducing our chances of getting our young'ns experience and unnecessarily raising our draft pick number. (and getting in the way of a proper rebuild a la Portland, OKC, New Jersey, etc)
    When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post

But in all seriousness - I understand you're simply posing a question but the answer is absolutely never in hell should we acquire any short-term talent. Hell we should be seriously considering moving anyone that won't be useful in 2-3 years from now when we'd be aiming at making a push for becoming a contender. Any short term solutions before that are simply reducing our chances of getting our young'ns experience and unnecessarily raising our draft pick number. (and getting in the way of a proper rebuild a la Portland, OKC, New Jersey, etc)
      I could not have said it any better.

Also, the Raps can only offer the vet minimum as they are over the 'soft' salary cap. If you were Erick Dampier - would you accept 1.3M to play for Toronto or Miami?

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post

Do you think that some of the posters here wanted to acquire Dampier only for his money? I.e. expiring contract.

Ouch that hurts
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Dampier is headed str8 to Miami, truss......

Comment

Interesting a trade was not done with Dampier. Even if it was not with the Raptors, I thought something would get done.

The other thing to keep in mind now is, barring a trade, the Bobcats only have $2.2M and veteran's minimum contracts to offer. If you check out the ESPN depth chart http://espn.go.com/nba/teams/depth?team=cha you'll see they have Najera playing the 3, he is not a three and McGuire is hardly a first option off the bench. Also Henderson hardly impressed his rookie year (albeit Brown is hardly kind to rookies) so they are shallow at SG with only him and Carroll after Jackson. I would like to see Livingston play well because after his injuries and his fight back, he deserves it, but in reality neither he nor Augustine are starting PG material right now.

After the contract given to Thomas, I doubt they will have him sitting on the bench. It would seem to me Diaw is most likely to be moved.

At least the Dampier waiver and possible trade can be put to rest now.

I don't think (and I certainly hope not!) the Raptors are going to open the season with the current roster. The next few weeks will hopefully produce a surprise or two.

Comment

Three words: NO DIAW PLEASE!

Comment

The better question is, why would Dampier want to join the Raptors at this stage of his career?

Comment

can we not get players that were once owned by Shaq which he later named after a tranny or a woman?! We don't need Erika at the age of 35 who wants more money then he is worth.

Comment

Hell No...

Comment

I don't mean to overvalue Weems, but are you kidding about releasing 24 year old Weems, who is an absolute bargain and has great tools, athletic ability and the desire to improve himself, for a 35 year old center who would do absolutely nothing for the long term potential of a team that is focused on rebuilding?
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

He already said he wanted to go to Miami and try and win a championship, he's 34. He won't want to go to a rebuilding team that won't even give him minutes.

Comment

is there one single reason for signing that 35 years old center?

Comment

Simply no

Comment

Raptors in the running according to SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ent/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X