Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Julian Wright interview from Raptors.com [Jay Satur]

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Julian Wright interview from Raptors.com [Jay Satur]

    http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/draf...og_060310.html

  • #2

    From what I understand this was a big part of his problem with the Hornets; i.e., they never really clearly identified to him what they expected of him.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

    Comment


    • #3
      Good read. Glad to see all the above mentioned palyers showing up early for b4 camp begins- this is how it should be done- Bargnani!!!

      Wright is a sleeper like Weems was last season. Very athletic and competitive from my watching him in HS, at Kansas & in the NBA. If TO values Defense over Offense this season he could find his niche in TO's rotation as an energy bench guy. Players need defined roles but Jay aka MistaDoblina has a no accountability reputation from last season- hopefully that changes in 2010-11.

      Comment


      • #4
        I really like that these guys are back early they should be doing this every year!
        As for Julian I think his role should be defensive stopper.

        Comment


        • #5
          grindhouse wrote: View Post
          I really like that these guys are back early they should be doing this every year!
          As for Julian I think his role should be defensive stopper.
          I don't think there was any question in anyone's mind as to his role on the defensive end, but he can't very well play lock down defense on offense...

          If he can sit in the corner and knock down the open 3, that'd be the role I'd give him. But I have no idea if he can shoot 3s tbh.

          Comment


          • #6
            Why does Wright need to be told a role? He was playing with one of the best PGs in the game. As a professional (and young player trying to make an impression), your role is go out, play hard, run the court and play D every night. Wright is exactly what he's shown since he's been in the league. He's got some length and he's an okay defender. His game (both offensive and defensive) is inconsistent. I'd think of him as a bigger, taller MoPete without as much offensive capabilities.

            Comment


            • #7
              Wright is boxing himself in... he wasn't given a defined role and was losing minutes as a result. If the kid needs some direction of where to direct his focus, so be it. Doug Smith says he's not as good of a defender as Antoine Wright and that bugs me...I hope he surprises.

              Comment


              • #8
                Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                Wright is boxing himself in... he wasn't given a defined role and was losing minutes as a result. If the kid needs some direction of where to direct his focus, so be it. Doug Smith says he's not as good of a defender as Antoine Wright and that bugs me...I hope he surprises.
                When JWright got traded, did you hear any of the Hornets brass say that they're gonna miss him because he's a tough defender or that he has a good work ethic?
                When AWright got traded here, I heard and read a lot of good stuff from the Mavericks coaching staff about his work ethic and how tough a defender he is. So really, Smith is bang-on when he says that Julian Wright is not a good of a defender as Antoine Wright.
                Now he's gonna have a chance to prove his worth in training camp. It's nut-up or shut-up time for him.

                Comment


                • #9
                  MangoKid wrote: View Post
                  When JWright got traded, did you hear any of the Hornets brass say that they're gonna miss him because he's a tough defender or that he has a good work ethic?
                  When AWright got traded here, I heard and read a lot of good stuff from the Mavericks coaching staff about his work ethic and how tough a defender he is. So really, Smith is bang-on when he says that Julian Wright is not a good of a defender as Antoine Wright.
                  Now he's gonna have a chance to prove his worth in training camp. It's nut-up or shut-up time for him.
                  Julian Wright: Tough on D

                  Posted by Neil Paine on August 24, 2009

                  I like to read ESPN's NBA rumor mill every morning for possible story angles, and I came across this fantasy article by Brian McKitish that describes New Orleans' Julian Wright as "a lock-down defender", touting him as a potentially good fantasy pickup. McKitish's theory is that he will rack up lots of blocks and steals because Rasual Butler's departure opens the door for Wright to get a big bump in playing time, and I can't argue with that. But I was interested in whether or not Wright, coming off of just his second NBA campaign, is truly a lock-down defender in categories beyond fantasy stats.

                  And as it turns out, Wright really is a great defensive player despite being just 22. As a rookie in 2007-08, the Kansas alum did not post a sterling on/off-court +/- (the Hornets were actually 1.3 points/100 possessions better when he wasn't on the floor, and his adjusted DPM was essentially the same), but his counterpart numbers were strong (he held opposing SFs to a 13.1 PER when in the game), and was one of only 14 rookies ever to post a 15.7 DRB%, 1.5 BLK%, and 2.4 STL%. So the potential was clearly there even as an NBA newbie -- John Hollinger even wrote of Wright after his first season that he was "a long, active defender who looks like future stopper material [...] big for a wing at 6-8 but has the quickness and leaping ability to pester much smaller players."
                  http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=3238
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                  Memories some so sweet, indeed

                  Larger Photo of the avatar



                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I saw phrases like "fantasy article" and.."theory is that he will rack up lots of blocks and steals because Rasual Butler's departure opens the door for Wright to get a big bump in playing time, and I can't argue with that."

                    What really happened is that while he played more games, he played less minutes..on a New Orleans team that could have used him. And there were no new career highs in steals or rebounds. Let's just call him what he is - a reserve forward who is capable of playing 12-15 minutes a night at best.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
                      Good read. Glad to see all the above mentioned palyers showing up early for b4 camp begins- this is how it should be done- Bargnani!!!

                      Wright is a sleeper like Weems was last season. Very athletic and competitive from my watching him in HS, at Kansas & in the NBA. If TO values Defense over Offense this season he could find his niche in TO's rotation as an energy bench guy. Players need defined roles but Jay aka MistaDoblina has a no accountability reputation from last season- hopefully that changes in 2010-11.
                      Easyyyyy now ... Bargnani's been working up a sweat in realtime by playing with the Italian team ... Sonny, DeMar, Jack, Alabi, Davis, Amir = NOT playing for their country.
                      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                        Easyyyyy now ... Bargnani's been working up a sweat in realtime by playing with the Italian team ... Sonny, DeMar, Jack, Alabi, Davis, Amir = NOT playing for their country.
                        I hear you as far as it's not like he's sitting at home playing xbox and eating cheatos off his super-model girlfriend - but I think his Italian team has seemingly
                        When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                          Easyyyyy now ... Bargnani's been working up a sweat in realtime by playing with the Italian team ... Sonny, DeMar, Jack, Alabi, Davis, Amir = NOT playing for their country.
                          But they (Sonny, DD, Jack, Amir, Alabi, Davis) have been working out all summer long on a daily basis as well or working up a sweat in real time as you like to put it. And they are all currently in the TDot- are they not?

                          Btw- I don't recall Italy in the FIBA tournament? So Italy's summer basketball couldn't have been that serious. Plus from the clips of Bargnani summer play he needs all the court time w/ the YG'z that he can get.

                          Last I have seen of Bargnani he was coupled up with some flat booty average looking model for a GQ photo shoot.

                          YG'z > Bargnani
                          Last edited by SirChillyMost; Fri Sep 17, 2010, 03:35 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            mark my words, Julian Wright will have an impact this season. he shud qualify to join the YGZ, sereously have you seen this guys athleticism (however you spell it)
                            http://www.twitter.com/YateeshKevin23

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X