No announcement yet.

Raptors sign Ronald Dupree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After doing some further due diligence and with the help of Ryan Wolstat at SunMedia it appears that the reason that Weems has not been given a contract extension is because

under the current CBA rules the Raptors can not extend Weems current contract.

From an email that he sent me yesterday
    =============================================

Yep, that's what I'm saying. I believe the same thing happened with Calderon. People wanted them to extend him, but they couldn't until his old deal expired.

Here's the rules:

52. Can existing contracts be extended?

Contracts for fewer than four seasons may not be extended. Longer contracts can be extended under certain circumstances:
    Type of contract When signed Can be extended
    Six or seven seasons Prior to July 1, 2005 Four years after contract signed
    Six seasons On or after July 1, 2005 Three years after contract signed
    Four or five seasons Any Three years after contract signed
    Extended contracts Any Three years after extension signed
    Renegotiated contracts* Any Three years after renegotiation signed
    Rookie scale contracts Any From the day following the July moratorium to the October 31 preceding the player's last option season**

* If renegotiation provided a salary increase greater than 10%.

** Provided the team had previously picked up the option for that season. The deadline is the following business day if October 31 falls on a weekend or holiday.

Except for extensions of rookie scale contracts (which must be signed by October 31), extensions may be signed up to June 30, the day before the player would have become a free agent.

Rookie scale contracts may be extended for up to five seasons beyond the player's last option season, bringing the total contract length to six seasons. All other extensions are limited to five seasons, including the seasons remaining on the current contract (even if extended in late June, the current season counts as one full season toward the total). For example, a contract with two seasons remaining may be extended for up to three additional seasons.

The salary in the first year of an extension to a rookie scale contract may be any amount up to the player's maximum. For all other extensions, the salary in the first year of the extension is limited to 110.5% of the salary in the last year of the existing contract. However, it also can't exceed the maximum salary the player can receive if he were to sign a new contract that year as a free agent (see question numbers 11 and 12).

This poses an interesting problem -- if an extension takes effect three years from now, how do they set the salary if the maximum salary (and therefore the maximum amount for the extension) won't be known for three years? What they do is write the extension to include the maximum 10.5% raise (assuming the team agrees to give the player that much). Then when the extension takes effect and the maximum salary for that season is known, the extension salary is amended if necessary.

An example is in order. Shaquille O'Neal's contract was extended prior to the 2000-01 season. His original contract ran through the 2002-03 season, in which he made $23,571,429.20. The first year of his extension, 2003-04, was originally written for (the then-maximum) 112.5% of this amount, or $26,517,857.85. As a 10+ year veteran, O'Neal's salary couldn't exceed 105% of $23,571,429.20, or the 2003-04 maximum salary for a 10+ year veteran (which turned out to be $15,344,000), whichever is greater. That means O'Neal's 2003-04 salary could not exceed $24,750,000.66 (using 105% of his previous salary, since that was the greater of the two). O'Neal's extension was therefore amended downward to the maximum ($24,750,000.66) once the 2003-04 maximum salary was determined.

Raises in each year of an extension to a rookie scale contract are limited to 10.5% of the salary in the first year of the extension. For all other extensions, raises are limited to 10.5% of the salary in the last year of the existing contract. If the salary in the first year of an extension is amended as described above, then all subsequent years of the extension are also amended to accommodate the maximum raise, if necessary.
    53. Can existing contracts be renegotiated?

A contract for four or more seasons can be renegotiated after the third anniversary of its signing, extension, or renegotiation that increased any season's salary by more than 8%. Contracts for fewer than four seasons cannot be renegotiated. A contract cannot be renegotiated between March 1 and June 30 of any year. Only teams under the cap can renegotiate a contract, and the salary in the then-current season can be increased only to the extent that the team has room under the cap. Raises in subsequent years are limited to 10.5% of the salary in the first renegotiated season. The renegotiation may not contain a signing bonus. Contracts cannot be renegotiated downward (players can't take a "pay cut" in order to create salary cap room for the team) or to contain fewer seasons.

Again, a team over the salary cap cannot renegotiate a contract. An interesting case of this was Shawn Kemp with the Sonics. Kemp, who was unhappy with his contract and wanted to renegotiate, could not get a larger contract from the Sonics because they were over the cap. Kemp forced a trade to Cleveland, who was far enough under the cap at the time to give him the large contract he wanted. Kemp's contract was renegotiated soon after the trade.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Dupree did not play well in summer league. I am guess that this signing is for training camp for the final roster spot. Weems will get his signing but I think the raps probably have 1 more move to do to free up money for him. That move could come as late as the trade deadline but I don't think weems is going anywhere.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
        Dupree did not play well in summer league. I am guess that this signing is for training camp for the final roster spot. Weems will get his signing but I think the raps probably have 1 more move to do to free up money for him. That move could come as late as the trade deadline but I don't think weems is going anywhere.
        It looks like according to the CBA Weems could become a free agent next July.
        Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Sep 17, 2010, 10:32 AM.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

good research btw if weems becomes a free agent i expect him to stay with toronto and toronto will probably reward him when that time comes.

Comment

i would have much rather seen us sign bobby brown, he seemed to have some sexy chemistry with the YGZ at the VSL.
            http://www.twitter.com/YateeshKevin23

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
              After doing some further due diligence and with the help of Ryan Wolstat at SunMedia it appears that the reason that Weems has not been given a contract extension is because

under the current CBA rules the Raptors can not extend Weems current contract.

From an email that he sent me yesterday
              =============================================

I think you're going to have to clarify, because this section could be interpreted in multiple ways:

"Rookie scale contracts Any From the day following the July moratorium to the October 31 preceding the player's last option season**
              ** Provided the team had previously picked up the option for that season. The deadline is the following business day if October 31 falls on a weekend or holiday.
              Except for extensions of rookie scale contracts (which must be signed by October 31), extensions may be signed up to June 30, the day before the player would have become a free agent."

This passage comes from the section on special circumstances allowing the extension of "longer" contracts, whilst citing rookie-scale contracts. Which rookie-scale contracts are longer than 3 (2nd round)--4 (first round) years?
              Last edited by philwill; Sat Sep 18, 2010, 01:02 PM.
              It's about money

Comment

Also -- under what conditions would he not enter RFA?
                It's about money

Comment

From a strictly business perspective and under the current rules it makes 100% sense that the Raptors would:

a) wait until right before the season to guarantee Weems' contract
                  b) wait until next summer to offer him any new contract
                  c) see what the interest is around the league and use right to match contract

because

a) you don't want his contract on the books if he suffers an injury anytime before or during training camp or season
                  b) you aren't sure about his place in the organization yet
                  c) you have the right to match any contract he receives.

I may be wrong, but guys like Gilbert Arenas, Monta Ellis, and Wesley Matthews signed non-guaranteed minimum 2 year contracts for their first two seasons and then cashed in big after two years. This is why when many guys drop in the NBA draft they would rather be a second round pick than a first round pick. It is a trade off between guaranteed minimum money versus big money 2-3 years sooner.

I know Arenas, Ellis, Matthews, Boozer, etc. are the exception and not the rule.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    From a strictly business perspective and under the current rules it makes 100% sense that the Raptors would:

a) wait until right before the season to guarantee Weems' contract
                    b) wait until next summer to offer him any new contract
                    c) see what the interest is around the league and use right to match contract

because

a) you don't want his contract on the books if he suffers an injury anytime before or during training camp or season
                    b) you aren't sure about his place in the organization yet
                    c) you have the right to match any contract he receives.

I may be wrong, but guys like Gilbert Arenas, Monta Ellis, and Wesley Matthews signed non-guaranteed minimum 2 year contracts for their first two seasons and then cashed in big after two years. This is why when many guys drop in the NBA draft they would rather be a second round pick than a first round pick. It is a trade off between guaranteed minimum money versus big money 2-3 years sooner.

I know Arenas, Ellis, Matthews, Boozer, etc. are the exception and not the rule.
                    All good points and teams also like to avoid late first round picks if they can get in exchange an early to even top 1/3 second round pick for it unless they really like the player available to them late in the first round.

Comment

I still don't understand how he would be a free agent.

Would he not be a restricted free agent?
                      It's about money

Comment

philwill wrote: View Post
                        I still don't understand how he would be a free agent.

Would he not be a restricted free agent?
                        Yes, he is a restricted free agent. The Raps will have the right to match any offer he receives this year if they pick up his contract for this upcoming season.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Yes, he is a restricted free agent. The Raps will have the right to match any offer he receives this year if they pick up his contract for this upcoming season.
                          First they have to make him the QO of just over $1 million.

That of course will depend on what happens in 10-11

Teams do not issue Qualifying Offers to someone who they don't want.

However for $1 million the Raptors would probably be getting a really good deal.

Comment

Working...
                          X