Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

@HPBasketball (Hardwood Paroxysm) Thinks Bargnani Plays Pretty Good Post Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparing post-up defense

Player-----% of Time--Plays--PPP----FG%--%SF--%TO--% Score
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bargnani---37.4-------284---0.80---42.2---7.7---11.6-----41.9
    Johnson---19.5---------75---0.84---39.1--16.0---17.3----44.0
    Bosh------30.1--------191---0.84---43.6---5.8---10.5----43.5

% of Time means the percent of shots given up by that player of all the shots he allowed by the player that he was guarding on that type of play. So 37.4% of the shots allowed by Bargnani were on post up plays and only 19.5% of the shots allowed by Johnson were on post up plays.

Plays means shots allowed by that player; eg Bargnani, by the player that he was guarding at the time the opponent attempted a shot

PPP means points allowed per possession by the player that he was guarding at the time that the shot was taken

Player----Minutes Played--Post up Shots Allowed per Min Played
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Bargnani-------2,799---.101
    Johnson-------1,453----.052
    Bosh----------2,526----.076

So from this we see

1. Johnson and Bosh allowed more PPP than Bargnani when defending a post-up shot
    2. Johnson fouls about 1/6 of the time defending a post up shot - very very high
    3. Johnson also forces turnovers about 1/6 of the time defending a post up shot - very high
    4. Johnson had the fewest post up shots allowed per minute of court time by quite a bit. About half of what Bargnani had. This makes sense since Bargnani spends most of his time on defense in or near the low post whereas Johnson is all over the court. See my other post about 20% of the shots being taken against Johnson being spot up three point shots. An extremely high number against a Power Forward.
    5. Johnson also held his opponent on post-up shots to the lowest FG% of under 40%
    5. Bargnani was the best post-up defender of the three players when measured in terms of points allowed per post up play because Johnson commits too many damn fouls on post up plays and every other kind of play except spot up 3 point jump shots

My guess is that Johnson's foul percentage and turnovers forced percentage were probably near the top among players in the league defending post up shots. Preliminary conclusion. Johnson needs to learn how to play tough post-up defense without fouling so much.

Shots taken against per minute on the court

Player--------Minutes---FGA Allowed--FGA Allowed Per Min on the court (1)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bargnani-------2,799---759----------.271
    Johnson-------1,453----385---------.265
    Bosh----------2,526----635---------.251

(1) Taken by the player that was being guarded at the time of the shot.

Sources: BasketballReference.com for the minutes and Synergy Sports Tech for everything else.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Sep 18, 2010, 12:33 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Nice stats once again Buddha!

Bargs clearly proved last year that he was stronger and he protected the paint, now he must improve the rest of his defense, cause he's sheet at everything else...

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
        Nice stats once again Buddha!

Bargs clearly proved last year that he was stronger and he protected the paint, now he must improve the rest of his defense, cause he's sheet at everything else...
        Thanx
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
        X