No announcement yet.

Why The Raptors Could Be Better Than Most People Think; Bosh Linked to Galea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why The Raptors Could Be Better Than Most People Think; Bosh Linked to Galea

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...4609/index.htm

On a day-to-day basis, not a lot has changed for Dr. Anthony Galea. Sure, some Canadian pro hockey players have made themselves scarce at the Institute of Sports Medicine Health & Wellness Centre near Toronto since Galea hit the headlines late last year, but wait around the parking lot long enough and you'll run into a prominent athlete or two. Like 2008 Canadian Olympic high jumper Nicole Forrester. "They just don't know him," she says of Galea's detractors. What U.S. law enforcement officials know is that Galea—whose patients have included Tiger Woods, Olympic swimmer Dara Torres, former NFL running back Jamal Lewis and NBA star Chris Bosh—is a proponent of using human growth hormone (HGH) to help heal injuries
    While many of Galea's U.S. athlete clients have been NFL players (reportedly including Washington Redskins wide receiver Santana Moss), Bosh—a new member of the Heat's all-star trinity—went for what two sources close to Galea said were PRP injections last year when a left-hamstring injury caused him to miss Toronto Raptors training camp. Through his agent, Bosh said Galea's treatment helped him return in time for the season.

Why The Raptors Could Be Better Than Most People Think; Bosh Linked to Galea

Phil Jackson was interviewed earlier today and asked about the Heat. However it seems to me that the parts I highlighted in red apply to all sports teams.

Here’s Philip on with radio station ESPN 1000 in Chicago:

“They got great talent. There’s no question about their talent they have. But, talent doesn’t always win. The team that shows the best teamwork will win it. We think we have established something. But, if [the Heat] can unite — and build quickly — they might be able to do it.”

“I always refer to when Wilt Chamberlain was traded from Philadelphia to Los Angeles and that put Baylor, West and Chamberlain together — three of the top scorers in NBA history — and they never won a championship together the four years they were together. It’s not always scorers and talent that wins it. But it’s teamwork that does it.”
    http://bit.ly/abLh4l

Everyone who followed the Raptors last season knows that the team was about as united as water and oil.

It was also Bosh's team and everything else came afterward.

It was about Bosh getting his points

It was Hedo getting his touches "Ball"

It was about a big mess.

There was absolutely no "Ubuntu" among the Raptors players as a whole.

My sense is that this year it will be different.

This team has no star player or players if you count "Ball" to cater to

The 10-11 team is young and will be hungry.

Many of the key players from 10-11 spent time this past summer working out together on the court.

Forgetting the fact that I think that the 10-11 team may be as talented as the 09-10 team to more than make up for the loss of Bosh when you add in the expected growth of the young players from last season along with the additions of Kleiza and Barbosa.

By the way Ryan Wolstat has an interesting article about Bosh and his possible use of roids last sesaon

Bosh linked to Anthony Galea

By RYAN WOLSTAT, QMI Agency

Last Updated: September 23, 2010 6:04pm

Galea often added HGH to injections

No doubt losing Davis for an unknown period of time will hurt the team. However, it seems to me that if the players can really come to together as a team, which of course is a big if, then I think that they will surprise a lot of people to the upside.

There is no doubt that the young guys are hungry. Hungry to prove that they are more than a lot of people think that they are. Hungry to start carving out a legitimate place for themselves as legitimate NBA starters.

Guys like DeRozan, Johnson, Kleiza, Calderon, Bargnani, and even Jack and Weems to a certain extent all have something to prove. Not to themselves but to the other players in the league and the fans.

Carlesimo has done some good stuff working with young players in both the NCAA and in the NBA. I think he will bring a lot.

All of these young guys know the knock on the Raptors is that they don't play defense. Carlesimo's greatest successes as a coach at both the NCAA and NBA levels has been his ability to mold young players together into solid defensive teams.

Defense is not about one on one but about how the five guys on the court play together as a unit for 48 minutes night in and night out and what kind of effort that they bring.

Triano is now in his second year. There are no star players that he has to cater to in 10-11. I think we will see guys either giving the effort contributing for the good of the tema or being pulled from the lineup and replaced with someone who will put the team first both on offense and defense.

I am optimistic that this core group will come together "Ubuntu" and surprise a lot of people to the upside with their play and the the wins that they accumulate this coming season.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

The only thing I agreed with in that post was Nawal Ayoub Valderrama. So thanks for that at least.

Comment

wow an optimistic outlook... I'm really quite encouraged. That's rare... but I'm all for it.
        I really hope the raptors do surprise most of our realistic expectations

Comment

Copywryter wrote: View Post
          The only thing I agreed with in that post was Nawal Ayoub Valderrama. So thanks for that at least.
          Thanks for reading
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I think the teamwork will help the raptors and they will be slightly better then most expect. However I feel that teams with superior talent will always end up being the best. I could see the raptors competing for the last playoff spot, and then getting swept in the first round.

Comment

iggyiggyigoudala wrote: View Post
              I think the teamwork will help the raptors and they will be slightly better then most expect. However I feel that teams with superior talent will always end up being the best. I could see the raptors competing for the last playoff spot, and then getting swept in the first round.
              I agree that at this point getting into the first round of the playoffs appears to be the max best that the Raptors will be able to achieve in 10-11
              Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Sep 24, 2010, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Getting into the play-offs is incredibly important for the team, financially. If we have to be in that range, I really hope we make the play-offs, even if we get swept. Otherwise, if 3/4 into the season we're 10 seed, I wouldn't want a winning streak...

Comment

Report: Bosh linked to Galea

After a summer filled with newfound publicity, former Raptors star Chris Bosh is the latest to join the list of athletes linked to infamous Canadian doctor Anthony Galea.

In a recent report released by Sports Illustrated, the 26-year-old supposedly visited Galea in 2009 before the start of training camp to deal with a left-hamstring injury.

Galea, the director of the Institute of Sports Medicine Health & Wellness Centre in Etobicoke, was charged in May by U.S. authorities with, among other things, smuggling and unlawful distribution of human growth hormone [HGH].

According to the article, two sources with knowledge of the situation said the newly signed Miami Heat forward received platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP) from the doctor to address his ailment.

Last season, the Georgia Tech product would record his career best in points (24.0), rebounds (10.8) and field goal percentage (51.8), leading the Raptors to a disappointing 40-win campaign, a season which also included the team missing the playoffs for the second consecutive year.

In the article, Bosh released a statement through his agent, Henry Thomas, stating that PRP helped him get back into the starting lineup for the start of season.

The Raptors declined to comment due to privacy laws involving medical files of past or present players.

PRP has recently become a common healing method among professional athletes, due to the lack of side effects and its success treating ligament and muscle injuries.

The therapy is legal, as it can speed up healing, but is not believed to boost performance.

However, according to court documents revealed by SI, authorities believe Galea often mixed HGH with injections and suggested it was quite possible some of the athletes were totally unaware of the fact they were receiving unapproved drugs.

“No one in the world could ever suggest that Dr. Galea is involved in performance enhancement,” said Edward Greenspan, Galea’s lawyer, to Sports Illustrated.

The 51-year-old, who has vehemently denied any wrongdoing, was arrested on Aug. 15, 2009 in Toronto on charges of possessing HGH.

Bosh is not the only Canadian connection to Galea.

Figure skater, Patrick Chan, was said to have received similar PRP therapy to help expedite his recovery of a calf injury.

Former Olympic sprinter and 100-metre world record holder, Donavan Bailey, ruptured his left Achilles tendon in 1998 and returned less than two years later to run in under 10 seconds, claiming the doctor used therapies such as oxygen treatments to accelerate the sprinter’s recovery.

Along with the aforementioned patients, the Toronto-based doctor treated a long list of high profile athletes.

Most notably: Tiger Woods, Alex Rodriguez, Dana Torres, Jose Reyes and Huston Street.

All have released statements regarding they’re involvement with Galae, and strongly deny any illegal activity.

Comment

Bosh did increase his muscle mass a lot over the past year... Something he struggled with up to then...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Bosh did increase his muscle mass a lot over the past year... Something he struggled with up to then...
                      Listen to what coach Jay says about Bosh in the locker room last season and during his time on Toronto during an interview by E. Smith on FAN590.

I threaded the interview.

I think it was very informative and entertaining if you like to listen to basketball coaches answer questions.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                        Getting into the play-offs is incredibly important for the team, financially. If we have to be in that range, I really hope we make the play-offs, even if we get swept. Otherwise, if 3/4 into the season we're 10 seed, I wouldn't want a winning streak...
                        getting into the playoffs is a must. i think not just for the team but players getting experience in the playoffs environment is very crucial. might be a bit important financially since playoff tix are a bit more expensive but the NBA doesnt really reward teams that much when they reach the playoffs, i think they only give playoff teams 100k and for nba champions only 2mil.

i think we are 1 true center away from being a playoff team. weve got 2 solid PGs, 1 solid SG and one potentially really good, 1 experienced SF, scoring PF, all we need is a true, defensive shot blocking rebounding center. our bench although not spectacular, is deep enough to give the starting unit decent rest minutes. we got 2-3 guys who are potentially 20pt scorers so hopefully that could be good enough to squeeze into the playoffs.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          can you do a photo comparison apollo? i dont know how to post pictures here, hehehe

Comment

I think he thought the HGH was to help with his breast development for the Saturday night RuPaul parties.

Comment

Working...
                            X