Raptors Have Some Players That Appeal to Other NBA Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Have Some Players That Appeal to Other NBA Teams

According to Doug this morning, word is that there are some NBA teams that are calling about current players on our roster. Expect something to go down before camp opens on Tuesday.

The list of possibles seems a bit underwhelming – The Gangster (who seemed a tad more, um, mature when I saw him briefly in Turkey), David Harrison (washout in Indy), Earl Barron (relative unknown, had one good game late in the year in New York), Peter John Ramos (journeyman) and Fabricio Oberto (he’d be my pick because of his experience but not sure how much he’s got left in the tank)

Because that group doesn’t, in my opinion, hold much promise for future growth, I’m wondering if the trade route Bryan was talking about doesn’t make a lot more sense.

After all, they’ve already got a full roster and I can’t see them paying someone to go away to keep any of those guys around. And the impression I got in the conversation was that he’s looking for more than training camp fodder.

Of course, there was nothing available, even on the QT about who he’s got his eyes on trade-wide. Not entirely surprising at all, given that news leaks on two aborted transactions earlier this summer (the Charlotte one and Matt Barnes) may have been partially responsible for them falling part. Not completely, but at least partially.

One thing I got is that there are all kinds of teams calling about all kinds of players on the roster, though. Many around these parts may not think there’s much talent or guys who are coveted elsewhere but I’m not sure that’s the case if you’re an NBA GM.

Guess it all winds up with this: There’ll be news over the weekend; think today might be quiet on the player front because there are some league meetings but I fully expect at least one or two new faces in camp.
    Source - Doug Smith's Blog

Raptors Have Some Players That Appeal to Other NBA Teams
    I would hope so.

After all the Raptors current roster has a chance to make the playoffs.

So it stands to reason that they would have players that other teams might be interested in.

A no brainer, 4sure
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
      I would hope so.

After all the Raptors current roster has a chance to make the playoffs.

So it stands to reason that they would have players that other teams might be interested in.

A no brainer, 4sure
      I'm sorry, are we talking about the same team last season minus Bosh and Hedo? name me one player that BC plans to trade that is worth it. he ain't trading Bargs or young gunz so after that you have Jose who been rejected already by the greatest of all time.
      I love Doug but sometimes the guy gets too optimistic about this team and what they possess, maybe thats his job?

Comment

This is a non playoff team. Every player is available for the right price. Would we agree with how much Colangelo wants for Bargnani ? -- if your not a fan of his probably not (I suspect he wants too much for this kid) -- but every player on this team is available for the right price.

Comment

i think he was makin a joke... a small miracle for them to get anywhere near the playoffs with the way oppinions r based on the current roster

Comment

Just because a team is interested in a player, it doesn't mean that it's a highly skilled player. Calderon is probably all we could do away with and there are teams who have worse situations at pg. Other than that, the Raptors need every player on the roster....except maybe Reggie.

Comment

Reggie Evans and Marcus Banks. One or two of those guys should be on the move before the deadline. Maybe he'll move one of them this next week?

Comment

The raptors have a lot of nice players on attractive contracts, minus Calderon and perhaps Bargnani and Amir Johnson (until people realize just how good he is).

Comment

i love it when people assume right away that this team is a "non-playoff team". well cant really blame these guys, on paper it does look like an incomplete team but you have to remember the 2007-2008 raptors, was ranked 26th pre-season and eventually won the division title. its always easy and safe to predict the worse, but those who hope for the best are the ones who are true fans.

hopefully, and im not saying they will, just hopefully the raps will get to surprise people this year.

Comment

I am truly conflicted...
                    The competitor in me wants the Raps to be in the playoffs this year
                    But I know the best for the team is actually if they are in the bottom 5 of the league and get a stud PG from next year's draft.

Comment

photoman wrote: View Post
                      I am truly conflicted...
                      The competitor in me wants the Raps to be in the playoffs this year
                      But I know the best for the team is actually if they are in the bottom 5 of the league and get a stud PG from next year's draft.
                      +1 - There are a couple of stud SF's as well.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                        i love it when people assume right away that this team is a "non-playoff team". well cant really blame these guys, on paper it does look like an incomplete team but you have to remember the 2007-2008 raptors, was ranked 26th pre-season and eventually won the division title. its always easy and safe to predict the worse, but those who hope for the best are the ones who are true fans.

hopefully, and im not saying they will, just hopefully the raps will get to surprise people this year.
                        At this point the only assessment anyone can make is purely "on paper". True reality may be something vastly different but even you admit that it appears to be an incomplete squad. Do I want to be proven wrong? Hell ya!

Comment

I have a feeling that they might get involved on the fringes of the 'Melo deal or may try and get a big man from Miami if Miami signs Dampier.

If hope TO doesn't sign nor invite to camp- David Harrison, Earl Barron, Peter John Ramos or Fabricio Oberto as they are all less than. Maybe TO should have kept DJones as he is a bruiser in the paint on the cheap now currently in Phoenix.

I wonder what type of offers BC gets for Bargnani since he said he gets them all the time........

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post

See, I like ya angle. I BEEN saying that. I hate when people follow the bandwagon and just think the worst because it's easy. The bolded part of ya comment is what I think alot of people didn't know or forgot, because that year they surprised even us fans, win after win. Alot of heart on that roster and in that crowd. Especially, when VC came and we chanted M-V-P! for C-Me-Whore, the look on VC's face when he heard that, but we knocked 'em out that year. We shouldn't listen to wack shit, as die-hards. Our roster, to me, this year, seems special just because their is no "main guy", really. Triano said it best on FAN 590, when he said that guys will have to earn their starting roles.
                            The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                            Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                            www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                            http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

we need some defence guys. I can see the raps emulate the bucks of last season but we need some more defence lets go after taysaun
                              ya dun noe

Comment

Working...
                              X