Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toronto, Portland Added to Dampier's List of Options

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Toronto, Portland Added to Dampier's List of Options

    Toronto, Portland Added to Dampier's List of Options

    9/27/2010 3:37 AM ET By Sam Amick

    "I've talked to Milwaukee, Toronto, Portland, and one other team," he said after confirming talks with the Rockets as well. "There's no one in the No. 1 spot. I'm not in a rush. I just want to find the perfect fit and [/B][/COLOR] give myself an opportunity to compete for a championship."
    - Say What?

    The Raptors are the only known team in the running with salary-cap space, which -- depending on their level of financial interest -- gives them the clear financial edge.
    Talking time
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  • #2
    Raps dodged one bullet by not signing the Gangster, the second is even bigger -- Dampier. Even thinking about him is a sign of desperation and betrays a lack of strategy going forward.

    Comment


    • #3
      sigros89 wrote: View Post
      Raps dodged one bullet by not signing the Gangster, the second is even bigger -- Dampier. Even thinking about him is a sign of desperation and betrays a lack of strategy going forward.
      I doubt that it would be for very much. I believe that if one of a team's players goes on the extended disabled list that teams are allowed to go over 15 player contracts until that person comes back. This would be a safe move that would allow Davis to come back when he should and not before, thus reducing the risk of another injury.
      Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Sep 27, 2010, 12:48 PM.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

      Memories some so sweet, indeed

      Larger Photo of the avatar



      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

      Comment


      • #4
        Isn't Dampier basically an older, bulkier version of Amir? A rebounder/defender who's efficient on offence if not asked to do too much. I don't mind a veteran who can play the 5 and crack some heads.

        Comment


        • #5
          Dampier is the last of anything decent out there. He's a veteran. I dunno if he'll sign here or Portland. He's insurance in Portland with Camby's fragility and Joel P.'s injury. Same goes for the Bucks with Bogut. Houston may be a candidate but with Yao and Miller, Im not sure if there's room. If I'm a betting man, I'd say Milwaukee. You got a no non-sense coach, a team on the rise with a legitimate chance of playing time with Bogut on the shelf. Toronto's not going to be able to offer him anything other than more money than the rest.

          Comment


          • #6
            Do we really have cap space after signing Kleiza?

            I can't see Dampier signing here. Like BOS said, I think he'll be in Portland. They need bigs.

            Comment


            • #7
              Leave the man alone...pleeease! He wants to "compete for a championship". I am tired of these guys pimping themselves in the media using bi-directional cliches. I bet if the Raps offered him eg. 5 mill. per he'd come a running. Not unlike Mr. Bosh wanting to be "the man" when next he signed crappola.

              Comment


              • #8
                Bendit wrote: View Post
                Leave the man alone...pleeease! He wants to "compete for a championship". I am tired of these guys pimping themselves in the media using bi-directional cliches. I bet if the Raps offered him eg. 5 mill. per he'd come a running. Not unlike Mr. Bosh wanting to be "the man" when next he signed crappola.
                Too bad the Raptors couldn't offer him that kind of money.

                Comment


                • #9
                  not sure of the financial specifics, but if the raps still have money and can sign him for around 2 mil then that wont be too bad.

                  i dont think he'll sign with the raps for the vets min, coz theyre not contenders.

                  Damp would be an asset to the Raps. Big guy who knows how to use his body defensively inside the paint, does not incur too many fouls, does not need to be athletic to guard bigs and get rebounds, can teach bargs a few tricks, not offensively minded so he wont try to steal the spotlight and will be a good vet influence in the locker room.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wth is BC doing, seriously? Why did we use the Turk TPE to get David Anderson for "big man insurance" if we're just going to sign another Center who can barely handle 10 - 15 minutes on the floor? Just let Alabi develop in the minutes that Bargnani and Anderson don't play.

                    I only want to here talks of bigs if they have starter potential. We should be focusing on getting bigs who can actually make a significant difference, and a starting PG.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The first real month of the season November will be a disaster regardless if we get Erica on board.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        He's not coming to Toronto if he has a desire to be on a .500 ball club, let alone a contender.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The guy has been a good rebounder and defender for his career. He could rub off on some of the younger guys. Real benefit would be at trade deadline when he could be packaged as part of a larger deal and/or traded to a contender for some insurance. East and West teams are going to need big bodies to get past BOS in east and LAL in West.

                          I wonder if that could be one of BC's pitches to him: "Come sign with us. You'll get PT early and we'll try to send you to a contender later."

                          In reality though, he doesn't fit the bigger picture of the Raps future.

                          It seems to me, POR would make the most sense given their injury history and their three C's (Camby, Oden, Pryzbilla) and his desire to compete.

                          The Raps can only offer minimum I believe. DIdn't they use the bi-annual exemption ($1.8M) last year on Nesterovic?
                          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Sep 27, 2010, 06:47 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Macc wrote: View Post
                            Wth is BC doing, seriously? Why did we use the Turk TPE to get David Anderson for "big man insurance" if we're just going to sign another Center who can barely handle 10 - 15 minutes on the floor? Just let Alabi develop in the minutes that Bargnani and Anderson don't play.

                            I only want to here talks of bigs if they have starter potential. We should be focusing on getting bigs who can actually make a significant difference, and a starting PG.
                            I still think Colangelo wants Bargnani playing the 4. I realize that Triano said he is a 4 on the offensive side and a 5 on the defensive side, but Calongelo's interest and failed trades point to putting a starting 5 beside Bargnani (yes, Chandler would have started). I see him putting Dampier beside Bargnani, just like Dallas did with Nowitzki. Johnson would be the first big off the bench and would probably even play more minutes than Dampier... unless he was in foul trouble. As for Alabi, if you watched any of the summer league, you would have seen a guy that is not ready for this league. He is a project (even though he is already 22, he started playing basketball late and so his age doesnt reflect his experience) and would definitely be a victim of the "wolves" some of you would like to throw him to. I would see the depth chart (although not this structured) as:
                            5 - Dampier/Anderson/Alabi
                            4 - Bargnani/Johnson/Davis
                            Of course, Bargs can slide to the 5 and have Johnson at the 4. As well, Davis' injury this year and the fact that he didn't play much last year, sets him back in a significant way. He will need time to find his game and then more time to figure out the NBA game. So, by trade deadline, if Raptors are out of the playoff race, Davis should be more involved and Dampier might be a good trade chip for a team lacking a veteran center for their run.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Macc wrote: View Post
                              Wth is BC doing, seriously? Why did we use the Turk TPE to get David Anderson for "big man insurance" if we're just going to sign another Center who can barely handle 10 - 15 minutes on the floor? Just let Alabi develop in the minutes that Bargnani and Anderson don't play.

                              I only want to here talks of bigs if they have starter potential. We should be focusing on getting bigs who can actually make a significant difference, and a starting PG.
                              You may have been misinformed about the trade details re: Anderson to the Raptors. The transaction was ostensibly made probably more to get Houston under the cap and resulted in the Rockets sending cash to the Raps (rather than the other way around or a tpe). The second round pick is something that will possibly never be consummated. For further details see.....

                              http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7128811.html

                              As far as I know the Raps continue to hold both the Phoenix and Miami trade TPEs.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X