Why Toronto Might Be the Best Option for Dampier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Toronto Might Be the Best Option for Dampier

Doug giving his two cents worth today on the Dampier situation.

If it does happen, I'd expect Amir back on the bench and Bargnani starting at the PF spot.

Oh, and there were no new faces and I’m told the Raptors are still holding out hope they can entice Erick Dampier here.

And, you know, why wouldn’t he consider it?

Money’s going to be the same everywhere but I imagine he’d start here and he won’t in Houston (Yao Ming) or Milwaukee (Andrew Bogut) and you know he’s got some experience playing in the front court along with the likes of Andrea Bargnani since Damp played with Dirk in Dallas.

Anyway, not sure how hot those embers are but there’s a bit of smoke still there.
    Source - Click here

If Damp signs here, he'll start for sure as opposed to any of the other places mentioned, but at age 35, I doubt he has much left in the tank, which is why I don't understand why Colangelo is hot and heavy for him. Would have been just as good off if he signs Rasho.

Comment

The writer neglected to mention that the Rockets are only planning on playing Yao 20 minutes per game in the regular season to insure that he is available in the playoffs. In Houston he wouldn't be the starter but he would get starter-like minutes. In Toronto I think moving Bargnani to PF, Johnson to the bench to make room for Damp would be great.

Comment

I don't know if he would get starter minutes in Houston. I'm sure they signed Brad Miller in the off-season. I'm pretty sure they did... not 100% sure though...I could be wrong..and too lazy to look it up.

Comment

Why would Doug be interested in Dampier?
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Wouldn't any veteran at his age want to go to a contender for a shot at the title, starter or not? Why would he come to toronto and play for uneventful games as far as he's converned given the Raptors's current situation (i.e. not expected to make the playoffs). He's old, he shouldn't care about how minutes he gets to pad the stats since he's likely not getting another long term contract, so at this point, you'd think it's all about winning for him, no? I mean, that's what most veterans past their prime are doing, going for cheap to a contender.

Comment

i doubt Dampier would want to come to Toronto. I think he is like 35 years old so he would most likely want to be on a contending team and add front court depth to a championship team

Comment

He won't start here either, so I don't understand. Or did we give Amir that much money to come off the bench?

Comment

The problem is that he already apparently shot down Miami who is the perfect fit for him (who knows why)... so it's a completely unreadable situation...
                  When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Why don't we get a thread on why Dampier might be the worst option for Toronto? We are a team looking at player development, why would we want to invest any minutes in a centre that's already past his prime?

Comment

if this was a few years back i wouldnt have minded seeing Damp in a raps jersey but now im not so sure he has the durability to start any more then 30 games.

i like BC's thinking process for wanting a legit center to start so Bargs can play the 4 but at this point in time Damp is not the answer.

Comment

The dude is old... Surely a long term plan would be more appropriate?

Comment

There's a real reason why Miami didn't sign him to the veteran's minimum- he's out of shape and may be stalling in signing to another team to avoid the 1st week(s) of training camp- according to some media reports.

Still, if he's healthy he gives TO what it lacks- a true big man in the paint, and as long as he gets his points off of put backs and doesn't post up Dampier should be good for 24-30 minutes a game- if healthy, for whoever sign him. But if he has to spend an early part of the season getting in shape, catching up then he could drag down a team like TO that has a very brutal opening NBA regular season schedule in 2010-11.

I see either Milwaukee (Bogut) or Portland (Camby, Pryzbilla, Oden) who both have a recent history of injured centers as currently the most logical landing spots for Dampier if money isn't the deciding factor and competing in the playoffs is.

It would have been nice to see Bosh get a chance to play next to a Dampier type- quality rugged veteran big man, in TO.

Comment

No chance Dampier would start here IMO... 35-year-old center who was a borderline starter even in his prime? I don't think so. Oh, and our best player happens to be a center.

I also don't think he'd be too fond of playing in the fast-break/run'n'gun offence we expect to see this year. Not exactly the definition of the word "athlete".

If he does want to come and play 15 minutes a game on a non-playoff team, more power to him I guess.....

Comment

Dampier could offer value towards trading deadline for a team looking to add another big front court defensive minded body to compete with LAL or BOS.

Comment

Working...
                              X