• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Have High Hopes for Amir Johnson

PUBLISHED Thursday, Sep 30, 2010 at 2:37 pm EDT

Sean Deveney

Sporting NewsSporting News

Back in February 2008, when Shaquille O’Neal was in Phoenix and Amir Johnson was with the Pistons, Johnson went up against O’Neal and attempted to dunk. But O’Neal laid a hard licking on Johnson, sending him to the floor, a play that was ruled a flagrant foul. O’Neal apologized to Johnson, who, at the time, said, “No problem.”

But, two years later, Johnson hasn’t really forgotten the play. A little revenge on O’Neal remains among Johnson’s goals for the season. “I want to dunk on Shaq this year,” Johnson told SN. “I want to make that happen. He got the flagrant foul in on me and I want to get him back for that. Hopefully it’ll be this year. But I have got to catch him before he retires.”

For Johnson, though, slamming Shaq would be just a small part of what is a very important season. Since being drafted out of high school by the Pistons in 2005, Johnson has been a practice-floor wonder whose teammates gawk at his potential. When game time has come, though, Johnson has either found himself deep on the bench or too unsure of his offense to produce.

That has begun to change, though. Johnson was given a regular reserve role last year, and grew more confident in his offense as the season progressed. He averaged 15.8 points over the Raptors’ final six games, closing the season with outputs of 26 and 21 points.
    cont on link

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...r-amir-johnson

Also see a Triano interview from yesterday in which he talks about Johnson's minutes for 10-11 and Johnson's offense.

If it doesn't pop up as the current default video it is in the list below the current default video and is dated Sept 30.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/originals/index.html

Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

This means, DO NOT SIGN DAMPIER PLEASE!!! If the team wants this young man to develop and to prove his worth at 30 Mil, allow him to start at the 4. Anyone suggesting that Barg's game will change at the 4-spot is utterly delusional. Let Amir start at the four. He's mobile, doesn't clog the lane for anyone wanting to drive, doesn't ask for the ball too much and executes the pick and roll like a gazelle. Stay away from Damps please.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

So here's the solution to keeping Amir as a starter AND starting Damp at centre: play Bargs at the 3.

Whoa, whoa, settle down, people! Before you prepare to lynch me, think about it: the last time they gave minutes to him at the 3 (some three or four years ago), it was, I admit, an abysmal failure. But his footwork has improved dramatically since then, and he no longer bites on pump fakes, instead keeping his feet on the ground and using his long wingspan to either block shots or keep a hand in the shooter's face. While not possessed of excellent foot speed, he is way better at keeping his man in front of him. Against a three, he would play a few feet off the guy and still, thanks to that wingspan, be able to hinder his shot. And if the opposing 3 tries to drive against him, Bargs will block his shot. And if he blows by Bargs, he has two very capable defensive bigs behind him to clean up the mess, plus Bargs won't be counted on to provide interior help defence. PLUS his extremely pedestrian rebounding numbers will look downright scintillating playing as a 3. PLUS he'll create all sorts of matchup problems at the other end. So the starting unit would be Damp, AJ, Bargs, Derozan and probably Calderon. And our second unit would be pretty damn good: Anderson or Alabi and Bargs would share minutes at the 5; Davis/AJ at the 4, Kleiza the 3, Weems the 2 and Jack the pg. I fully expect one of Jack and Calderon to be gone soon, so substitute Barbosa as the backup pg (and heaven help us). Thoughts?

Comment

amir talking big lets see what he can do
        ya dun noe

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
          So here's the solution to keeping Amir as a starter AND starting Damp at centre: play Bargs at the 3.

Whoa, whoa, settle down, people! Before you prepare to lynch me, think about it: the last time they gave minutes to him at the 3 (some three or four years ago), it was, I admit, an abysmal failure. But his footwork has improved dramatically since then, and he no longer bites on pump fakes, instead keeping his feet on the ground and using his long wingspan to either block shots or keep a hand in the shooter's face. While not possessed of excellent foot speed, he is way better at keeping his man in front of him. Against a three, he would play a few feet off the guy and still, thanks to that wingspan, be able to hinder his shot. And if the opposing 3 tries to drive against him, Bargs will block his shot. And if he blows by Bargs, he has two very capable defensive bigs behind him to clean up the mess, plus Bargs won't be counted on to provide interior help defence. PLUS his extremely pedestrian rebounding numbers will look downright scintillating playing as a 3. PLUS he'll create all sorts of matchup problems at the other end. So the starting unit would be Damp, AJ, Bargs, Derozan and probably Calderon. And our second unit would be pretty damn good: Anderson or Alabi and Bargs would share minutes at the 5; Davis/AJ at the 4, Kleiza the 3, Weems the 2 and Jack the pg. I fully expect one of Jack and Calderon to be gone soon, so substitute Barbosa as the backup pg (and heaven help us). Thoughts?
          I think Andrea's development is more important than Amir's, but anyways why would we start Dampier? He would come off the bench, and play over 20 minutes, even 30 (Amir fouls, ALOT)

Comment

The Raptors should have high hopes for AJ, he's a greatly experienced prospect in season #5 at 23 years of age. He's got good hands, he's in great shape and appears motivated to take a step in the game. I would be much more interested in seeing AJ and Bargs get it together and figure it out (even if it takes a couple of years) than have another wandering vet come take half a stab at it and suck up our "excess" funds... not to mention all the precious development minutes. No disrespect to Dampier specifically, but it's a tactic that has failed here repeatedly. Andrea and Amir are both poised to take a step, both relatively unproven with still great potential, plus it's almost all young blood behind them. Just throw them in the fire and if they get burned and live then they'll come back harder in season two, something no Toronto team has had the chance to do in a few years.

Comment

[AmirJohnson.com @IamAmirJohnson] News : Raptors Have High Hopes For Amir Johnson - http://www.amirjohnson.com (RT and Comment!) about 1 hour ago via web
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Im not enamored with Amir beyond a 8 and 8 guy off the bench BUT there is no way you can play Bargs at the 3 lol

Comment

Amir picked up 5 fouls in 15 minutes off the bench yesterday? Hopefully Amir hasn't picked up a life long NBA reputation w/ the Ref's or he may have to be a energy bench guy for his NBA career.

Comment

Working...
                  X