Noah Deal Shows Value of Amir Signing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maleko wrote: View Post
    I agree with jaworski. One season. 11mil is foolish. I love the people on here saying that amir is overpaid and then Noah is twice the player and therefore worth it. By the many arguments on here Noah should get six mil. Just gotta laugh. Just plain and simple not worth it. But hey... Not my money.
    Noah is more than double the player Amir is. And it was more vital to Chicago to splash out money on Noah, as he was key to their playoff success. Whilst Amir isn't vital to this team, if we didn't have him we could just sign another PF which will anyways not really be of such great impact. The main difference is, we didn't have to sign Amir for so much (but I'm fine with his contract, I think he'll be above-average) whilst Chicago HAD to sign Noah for that much.

Comment

Noah is extremely overhyped, just like his father was extremely overhyped. Not that Joakim isn't good, and not that Jannick wasn't good (he once won Roland Garros, and I think France won the Davis cup with him). They just aren't the excellence, but they always have been loved by the media. On the other hand, Amir is underhyped (with the obvious exception of Buddahfan). I'd swap them, but I don't think it could determine the team's success.

Comment

pistol pete wrote: View Post
        Noah is extremely overhyped, just like his father was extremely overhyped. Not that Joakim isn't good, and not that Jannick wasn't good (he once won Roland Garros, and I think France won the Davis cup with him). They just aren't the excellence, but they always have been loved by the media. On the other hand, Amir is underhyped (with the obvious exception of Buddahfan). I'd swap them, but I don't think it could determine the team's success.
        Jack DeRozan Kleiza Bargnani Noah would win more than 40 games. I actually think Noah is underrated. What he did for Chicago last year, for the Gators. He would have been either no.1 or 2 pick in 06 if he had decided to be selfish and join the NBA. But he decided to win a second title with Florida.

Comment

Noah is a bit overrated, but he's a C in a league devoid of C's. He's deceptively strong, a good rebounder, a decent one on one defender and a good defender within the team system. More than that, he's also a good fiery competitor and a locker room leader. Amir is a good locker room influence because he's friendly and hard working, but he'll hardly light a fire under your ass. Also, he's been in the league 5 years already, and while he's still young, he doesn't look that much different than the player he was under Flip, whereas Noah's only been in the league 3 years and has shown significant growth each year. Don't get me wrong, Amir's a good guy and I'm glad we retained him (especially this year, we would have been BRUTAL without him), but he needs to fill out and control his fouls. Someone said it earlier, that it's twice the value of Amir's because he's twice the player Amir is. And it's true. Now lets just hope Amir proves me wrong and becomes a true rotation player in the league.
          "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
          -Newsradio

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
            Jack DeRozan Kleiza Bargnani Noah would win more than 40 games. I actually think Noah is underrated. What he did for Chicago last year, for the Gators. He would have been either no.1 or 2 pick in 06 if he had decided to be selfish and join the NBA. But he decided to win a second title with Florida.
            I would disagree - Al Horford was the stud their that got low post buckets off set plays and rugged rebounds. Noah was just the energy guy who picked up the garbage.

He is high octane and a real gamer but u cant run set plays for him with consistency and expect him to beat his guy off the bounce.

He and Amir are very similar guys - tremendous athletes with great energy and defensive intensity - neither is an offensice wizard. The whole point of this thread is to highlight the fact that these types of durable fast defensive minded bigs are not cheap - Raps got good value on Amir.
            "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
              I would disagree - Al Horford was the stud their that got low post buckets off set plays and rugged rebounds. Noah was just the energy guy who picked up the garbage.

He is high octane and a real gamer but u cant run set plays for him with consistency and expect him to beat his guy off the bounce.

He and Amir are very similar guys - tremendous athletes with great energy and defensive intensity - neither is an offensice wizard. The whole point of this thread is to highlight the fact that these types of durable fast defensive minded bigs are not cheap - Raps got good value on Amir.
              I have to disagree aswell. Noah was the energy guy who picked up the garbage? He won the most valuable player in his final season with the Gators. He was a defensive beast, and rebounded far more/better than Horford did. Noah was greatly important in the double championship winning Gators team, and wasn't just a "guy who picked up the garbage".

As for him being like Amir... Maybe if you think of it so generally. But Noah has twice the speed, is much stronger, bigger, is far greater defensively (Amir is an "okay" defender. Noah is one of the best defensive Cs in the league), greater offensively, a bigger threat to other teams, rebounds FAR better than Amir ever will (although per48 stats might say differently, you can't compare rebounding when one player played under 20 minutes, the other above 30), Noah has already proved how important he is on the court, has proven how well he can play, in both NBA and college level whilst Amir still hasn't done anything, apart from destroying teenagers in High School. Amir might become a decent player, but he is no way comparable to Noah. Noah > Johnson.

Comment

But Noah has twice the speed, is much stronger, bigger, is far greater defensively (Amir is an "okay" defender. Noah is one of the best defensive Cs in the league), greater offensively, a bigger threat to other teams, rebounds FAR better than Amir ever will (although per48 stats might say differently, you can't compare rebounding when one player played under 20 minutes, the other above 30), Noah has already proved how important he is on the court, has proven how well he can play, in both NBA and college level whilst Amir still hasn't done anything, apart from destroying teenagers in High School. Amir might become a decent player, but he is no way comparable to Noah. Noah > Johnson.
                I get it. Noah is better than Amir. I don't think anyone is really disagreeing with you, but the extent of your bromance with Noah is insane and actually seems to work against your argument. Did you think about any of these points before you typed them? According to you Noah should be able to Rival Usain Bolt in footspeed (23 mph - most atheltes are ~10mph) and both of them only score off open dunks or putbacks, so the offensive thing is moot. Even the rebounding... I mean Noah is better but only marginally.... you make it sound like it's comparing Dwight and Andrea....
                When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

By Nick Friedell
                  ESPNChicago.com
                  Archive

DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Joakim Noah has agreed to a five-year contract extension with the Chicago Bulls.

ESPNChicago.com Bulls blog

Bulls blog The latest news from Bulls reporter Nick Friedell. Blog

The deal is worth $60 million plus additional bonuses, Dan Fegan, one of Noah's agents, told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

"I'm pretty happy," Noah said Monday. "It's very exciting. I'm very happy that I'm going to be able to be here for a while. I feel like the Bulls definitely did me right.

"But I promise I'm going to give 150 percent every time I'm out there, and I understand with a lot of money comes a lot of responsibility. I'm excited for the challenge."

Noah admitted that a new CBA, and a potential lockout this summer, factored into his decision.
                  http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nb...ory?id=5646081

I am not sure how an athlete can give more than 100% unless he is using some performance enhancing drug

Must be some form of expression meant to impress the listener and reader

On the other hand based upon his first comment that the "Bulls did me right" followed by "I am going to give 150%" it seems to me like he knows that he is being overpaid and to keep from feeling guilty about it he is promising the impossible.

Just my observation

Herr Dr. is in

C.G. Jung
                  Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Oct 5, 2010, 04:41 PM.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Noah is a bonafide starting C, while Amir has yet to prove he can even stay on the court long enough to be a 6th man. So there really is no comparison until Amir actually plays 30MPG and even then, Noah can guard both PFs and Cs. That said, half decent rotation bigs are usually overpaid in comparison to guards and swingmen, so both of them are making out like bandits. Simple supply/demand economics. Injuries will probably be the deciding factor on value.

Comment

I have to disagree aswell. Noah was the energy guy who picked up the garbage? He won the most valuable player in his final season with the Gators. He was a defensive beast, and rebounded far more/better than Horford did. Noah was greatly important in the double championship winning Gators team, and wasn't just a "guy who picked up the garbage".
                      No way dude - Horford went 3rd Noah went 9th for a reason.
                      Much of the space and time enjoyed by Noah was compliments of work done by Horford double teams drawn by Horford.
                      both have great pedigree - don't get me wrong I like both. I think hustle defense guys who bring it every night are way under rated (#Tayshaun Prince)

Furthermore Howard and Camby are head and shoulders above Noah in terms of Defense... and lets not even talk about Noah's ability or lack-thereof to go get his own shot.

Back to the original point Raps got good value with Amir @ 5.5 he is not as good as Noah in some ways but he is not too far off.
                      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                        No way dude - Horford went 3rd Noah went 9th for a reason.
                        Much of the space and time enjoyed by Noah was compliments of work done by Horford double teams drawn by Horford.
                        both have great pedigree - don't get me wrong I like both. I think hustle defense guys who bring it every night are way under rated (#Tayshaun Prince)

Furthermore Howard and Camby are head and shoulders above Noah in terms of Defense... and lets not even talk about Noah's ability or lack-thereof to go get his own shot.

Back to the original point Raps got good value with Amir @ 5.5 he is not as good as Noah in some ways but he is not too far off.
                        Horford going 3rd, and Noah going 9th was a huge shocker in 07. But yes, back to original topic :P

Amir isn't worth 5 mil a season IMO, but when you look at other contracts that were thrown out this summer then yes. Anyways he can't hurt, and 5 mil a year won't cripple our flexibility... I just hope he can just meet expectations (which I think he will) and bring energy and alley-oops that will help me watch games this year :P

Comment

Amir Expanding His Repertoire

We've heard Amir Johnson mention his work with assistant coach and Alex English this offseason and on Tuesday, he got a little more specific on his focus while with the Hall Of Famer in East L.A. during the summer.

"Just working on his turnaround jump shot he used to do," said Johnson. "Just keeping the ball up the same time."

While new weapons in his offensive arsenal were part of the plan, building his range was also a priority.

"We always did five shots a spot. Then I'd run full court, come back down, same spot and shoot it and just do it all on five spots on the floor... it was a lot of repetition."

English has been encouraged by what he's seen from the five-year pro.

"He's getting better every day," said English. "The more he plays and the more that he gets a chance to use it in the game, it's going to only build his confidence.

"I hope we can keep him healthy, keep him in the game, because he really worked hard on his perimeter game, as well as, just being more focused on the floor."

English, an eight-time NBA All-Star and the league's 13th all-time leading scorer,
                          knows a thing or two about adding to his game.

"I remembered when I played, every summer, I would add a different kind of shot or I would get stronger or I would do a little bit more conditioning, so when I came back I had something different to add to my game on the floor and every player should do that," said English.

"That's what Amir did this summer, that's what Reggie (Evans) did this summer and that's going to be a plus for us."

Check out even more video from Tuesday's practice, including David Amber, Rowan Barrett and Sherman Hamilton reflecting back on training camp, Matt Devlin's one-one-ones with Julian Wright and Andrea Bargnani plus Devlin and Jack Armstrong looking ahead to the preseason opener against the Suns (can you say, 'Ball'?).
                          My only comment is that for those who don't know English is also HOF class of 97.

Bargnani interview here
                          Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Oct 6, 2010, 09:35 AM.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Oh, just to put it there for those who didn't know. Amir will be making 9 Million in his last year.

Comment

Working...
                            X