Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA to Ban Shoes

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-278191

Though no NBA player actually professed an interest in buying these special Athletic Propulsion Labs vertical-influencing basketball shoes, you have to wonder if there are a series of floor-bound big men, the league over, that just had their Tuesday ruined by David Stern.

This is a press release, and not an actual report from the frontlines, but it's an interesting turn nevertheless.

The NBA has actually banned some shoes (which can be yours for only $300!) due to an apparent "unfair competitive advantage," which will no doubt send the sales of these Athletic Propulsion Labs' duds through the roof. I hope Messrs. Stern and Adam Silver bought some stock in this company before they made it infamous.

For the first time in its 64-year history, the National Basketball Association (NBA) has banned a new line of shoes based on the league's rule against an "unfair competitive advantage" that increases a player's vertical leap. The league's ban on Athletic Propulsion Labs' Concept 1 confirms the company's claims that the shoe, with its Load ‘N LaunchTM Technology, performs as advertised. No professional player will be allowed to wear the product in games for the upcoming 2010-2011 NBA season.

This action comes on the 25th anniversary of the NBA's ban on Nike's Air Jordan shoes, albeit for reasons of their colorful appearance rather than any performance advantage.

Athletic Propulsion Labs (APL) was notified by a senior NBA official who stated, "League rules regulate the footwear that players may wear during an NBA game. Under league rules, players may not wear any shoe during a game ‘that creates an undue competitive advantage (e.g., to increase a player's vertical leap).' In light of that rule...players will not be permitted to wear the APL shoes during NBA games."

Shoe companies, for decades, have promoted a sort of "unfair competitive advantage" through their shoes, from PF Flyers to the most recent set of Derrick Rose(notes)-brand adidas that we'll showcase here at BDL later this afternoon. But this is the first time that the NBA has borderline endorsed one brand of shoe being better than another, even if they won't allow its players to run in it.
    We know of a big man in a Raptor's uniform that could use some vertical leap to snag some rebounds.....

This actually makes me want to go buy them shoes but I don't know if they will make any difference since I was already dissapointed as when I was younger with the reebok pumps

and the Nike Shox

I think its all marketing ploy.

I'm going to buy a pair right now!

Comment

LOL ... I used to rock those exact Reebok Pumps back in high school when I played hoops. Still one of the most comfortable shoes I ever owned.

Comment

This really makes me wonder. If sports (basketball) footwear continues to follow the obvious trend of performance enhancement, then at some point down the line every manufacturer will have adopted similar or different techniques that might be considered an unfair competitive advantage. Eventually, either pro sports organizations will accept the inevitable, or they'll have to invest in some company that will still produce what will then be considered old-fashioned and actually worse by comparison to the eventual norm. Now THAT would have to be some kind of precedent.

Comment

Back when VINCE was my HERO
          What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

noxleno wrote: View Post
            This really makes me wonder. If sports (basketball) footwear continues to follow the obvious trend of performance enhancement, then at some point down the line every manufacturer will have adopted similar or different techniques that might be considered an unfair competitive advantage. Eventually, either pro sports organizations will accept the inevitable, or they'll have to invest in some company that will still produce what will then be considered old-fashioned and actually worse by comparison to the eventual norm. Now THAT would have to be some kind of precedent.
            Exactly what happened with Major League Baseball... Wood bats are not cutting edge lol.
            When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

P.S. Does this mean Bargs can play with these?!?

Or these

When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Hi,
                I am usually wearing puma shoes you can buy NBA to Ban Shoes from anywhere.

__________________________________________________ ______
                Natural Spin Dance International is a fast growing dance product

supplier based in Toronto, Canada, we provide all your needs in dancesports.

Since our beginning, the principle elements of our company have been

focused on our service and delivery of quality products with affordable prices.

for more Details Latest Shoes

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                  LOL ... I used to rock those exact Reebok Pumps back in high school when I played hoops. Still one of the most comfortable shoes I ever owned.
                  Yeah I agree but some of the spin-offs were funny. Anyone remember the pump hat?

Comment

Anybody remember that Seinfeld when George and Jimmy were trying to sell those shoes? That's what came to mind when I read this:

Comment

almighty369 wrote: View Post
                      Hi,
                      I am usually wearing puma shoes you can buy NBA to Ban Shoes from anywhere.

__________________________________________________ ______
                      Natural Spin Dance International is a fast growing dance product

supplier based in Toronto, Canada, we provide all your needs in dancesports.

Since our beginning, the principle elements of our company have been

focused on our service and delivery of quality products with affordable prices.

for more Details Latest Shoes

Please Ban this person for trying to tell me I can purchase "NBA to Ban Shoes" anywhere.

Comment

noxleno wrote: View Post
                        Please Ban this person for trying to tell me I can purchase "NBA to Ban Shoes" anywhere.
                        lmfao
                        NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
                        X