Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Quotes From Sonny Weems (Bargnani Team Chemistry Related Past & Present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aren't you dizzy from all that smh.

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
      Fact is that you don't draft an unknown overseas project with the number one overall pick- point blank, especially a self proclaimed 5 year project then in year 5 try to take all the pressure off of him being the Franchise go to guy by saying the team has no go to guy- then why did BC draft Bargnani in the 1st place to be a role player????

As a matter of fact the whole 2006 NBA draft stinks of Ewing/NY especially with the current perception in the basketball community that TO is a Euro team & has been an experimental Euro/International NBA team ever since BC took over. What better why to exemplify that than with a future foreign Franchise player? BC & Stern are 2 of the most deceiving folks in the NBA game in my mind.

Getting the second best player in your words with the 1st pick.....smh Bargnani wouldn't be a top 3 pick if the 2006 draft was redone in my mind.......arguably looking back he currently wouldn't be a top 5 pick- in a weak draft ie Rondo, Roy, Gay, Aldridge, Thomas....smh As well Rudy Gay was in the discussion as a top 3 selection from my recollection. BRoy was a surprise only to those who didn't know that much about him as most anyone who followed hs/college basketball from the greater Seattle area knew he was a far better player than Morrison at the time.

Fyi- I wanted TO to draft my 206 Seattle brethren BRoy (as TO already had Bosh & Charlie V on the roster), Bosh wanted Aldridge at the time but BC wanted Bargnani- guess who won out? Just like I wanted TO to draft TWilliams (206 Seattle ) over DeMar & Avery Bradley (206-253 Seattle/Tacoma) over EDavis (even though I like Davis the Rap's have enough PFs). What type of offers did BC have for that #1 pick- remind me please.........forget being general please get specific that would be terrific.

"an unknown overseas project"

wow

you do realize that bargs was going to go top 3 no matter what, he was far from unknown.

I wish you were 'unknown' to this board.

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post
        I still get mad thinking about drafting Joey Graham over Danny Granger....we coulda had our own superteam...
        Rap's scouting sucks balls........Jim Kelly needs to go ASAP.......smh

A BC consensous ='s yes men.....smh

Comment

Fabricated, forced or anything like that, Dre finally opening up and chilling with YGZ will help the team in ways that we can't imagine. I for one am happy there's chemistry there that can help the team gel, because with our talent level all we have now is the sum of our parts. Seriously people, this is actually something about the raptors to feel good about, because once the season starts we're gonna miss feeling good about this team.

Comment

Fact is that you don't draft an unknown overseas project with the number one overall pick- point blank, especially a self proclaimed 5 year project then in year 5 try to take all the pressure off of him being the Franchise go to guy by saying the team has no go to guy- then why did BC draft Bargnani in the 1st place to be a role player????
            do you understand what the difference between a FACT and OPINION is? Because you immediately followed up a "FACT" proclamation with an OPINION.

a FACT would be that Bargs wasn't the first unknown overseas project to go first in a draft. and the guy who was first DID NOT set a precedent of it being a bad idea.

Comment

Rap's scouting sucks balls........Jim Kelly needs to go ASAP.......smh

A BC consensous ='s yes men.....smh
              Thing about that is Granger was a lottery pick but teams passed cuz of his knees so he damn near fell in our laps and we still fucked it up and took Joey....i was going crazy thinking we had pulled off the biggest draft coo in years and then i hear from Oklahoma State meh....

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                do you understand what the difference between a FACT and OPINION is? Because you immediately followed up a "FACT" proclamation with an OPINION.

a FACT would be that Bargs wasn't the first unknown overseas project to go first in a draft. and the guy who was first DID NOT set a precedent of it being a bad idea.
                Who was the 1st ?

Comment

Who was the 1st ?
                  Yao

Comment

Bargnani is part of a failed fantasy BC has with euro big men that he started in PHX

anyone recall Zarko Cabarkapa lol
                    He was the first euro center that was going to revolutionize the position...

Comment

False !

Coming out his rookie season Chucky V looked like a decent big man..and the consensus is you dont trade big for small in the NBA...
                      In hindsight neither play amounted too much altho TJ 1st season here is still very underrated by the Calderon brigade BUT those moves def precipitated the selection of either bargs or LA and the overlooking of guards that were available in that draft....
                      I felt nearly the same way about Villaneuva as I do about Bargnani. I thought he was vastly overrated by most Raptor fans who were mesmerized by his offensive skillset (sound familiar?). In fact, on one popular forum at the time (I think it was Hoopsworld), the consensus among Raptor fans was that Villanueva would be a better player than Bosh. Villenuava was actually the reason I came up with the FGA/FTA ratio as a way to tell how good a scorer someone could be.

Plus, Villanueva was horrible on defense. I was absolutely thrilled when I heard about the trade for Ford.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                        Yao
                        traditional center...everyone knew Andrea was a jumpshooter
                        Its different...teams will take a chance on a 7-6 post man not so much a 7 foot jumpshooter who is thought of as soft...

Comment

He wasn't an unknown. I just finished saying that Colangelo had scouted him for many years. Who in the top five of the 2006 draft is now anything more than a role player?

As a matter of fact the whole 2006 NBA draft stinks of Ewing/NY especially with the current perception in the basketball community that TO is a Euro team & has been an experimental Euro/International NBA team ever since BC took over. What better why to exemplify that than with a future foreign Franchise player? BC & Stern are 2 of the most deceiving folks in the NBA game in my mind.
                          Come on now. Give me the cue when I should put on my tinfoil hat...

Getting the second best player in your words, mind with the 1st pick.....smh
                          He was the second best player out of the consensus top four.

Bargnani wouldn't be a top 3 pick if the 2006 draft was redone in my mind.......arguably looking back he currently wouldn't be a top 5 pick- in a weak draft ie Rondo, Roy, Gay, Aldridge, Thomas....smh
                          Maybe, now if only you can use your impressive hindsight abilities and project it into the future you'll be unstoppable.

As well Rudy Gay was in the discussion as a top 3 selection from my recollection. BRoy was a surprise only to those who didn't know that much about him as most anyone who followed hs/college basketball from the greater Seattle area knew he was a far better player than Morrison at the time.
                          Rudy Gay was being talked about before the individual workouts. He fell out of favor somewhere along the way. Fact remains leading into draft day you would be hard pressed to see him in the top three in anyone's mock draft.

Fyi- I wanted TO to draft my 206 Seattle brethren BRoy (as TO already had Bosh & Charlie V on the roster), Bosh wanted Aldridge at the time but BC wanted Bargnani- guess who won out?
                          I clearly remember an interview, I think on the fan 590, where Bosh said he'd love for LaMarcus to come here because they're good friends but he'd be fine with Andrea as well. As for what you wanted, well, that's great but you don't call the shots and everyone who was getting paid to talk about this stuff was not mentioning Brandon Roy in the top three.

What type of offers did BC have for that #1 pick- remind me please.........forget being general please get specific that would be terrific.
                          I remember him talking about a veteran role player plus a lower pick.

Can you specifically tell me where Bargnani would have been drafted had he not gone #1? How about specifically telling me why five teams passed on Roy and why six teams passed on Gay?

False !

Coming out his rookie season Chucky V looked like a decent big man..and the consensus is you dont trade big for small in the NBA...
                          Ok, so? It still happens and it has worked out in the past for teams. TJ was the more talented player. They needed a PG at the time. As you said, TJ came in and played really well. It wasn't until he opened his mouth about losing his starting gig that he fell out of favor with a large group of the fans and suddenly could do no right. It was a good trade at the time. Unwritten codes are great but we need to apply logic here too. At the time it was a good trade and helped the Raptors more than the alternative, which was entering the season with a redundant time share between three guys. This trade did no long term damage but it did short term good. In hindsight, neither guy was the answer. People saying they drafted Bargnani because they wanted to trade Charlie V need to check their facts and logically think that scenario through because it doesn't make any sense.

In hindsight neither play amounted too much altho TJ 1st season here is still very underrated by the Calderon brigade BUT those moves def precipitated the selection of either bargs or LA and the overlooking of guards that were available in that draft....
                          Bargnani was Colangelo's boy. He had scouted him for years. Nobody in the top five was looking at Roy and Gay. The reason? One didn't have the perceived "upside" and one had "upside" but was raw and as such a high risk. From everything I read Colangelo had his sights on two guys, Bargnani and Aldridge. What happened next was to make way for one of them.
                          Last edited by Apollo; Wed Oct 20, 2010, 02:15 PM.

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote:
                            N/A
                            No need for profanity. Or personal insults, which is the last refuge of the defeated. I can't help but notice that you have real trouble debating with someone without personally insulting them. Maybe that's something you can work on. And no, I didn't make "shit" up.

And if you'd like to actually debate the content of my post, I'm anxious to read it. If you are unable to, then just say so. Trying to cover it up with an insult just makes you appear immature. Not that there's anything wrong with that... smh
                            Last edited by Apollo; Wed Oct 20, 2010, 02:37 PM. Reason: Quote unacceptable
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              No need for profanity. Or personal insults, which is the last refuge of the defeated. I can't help but notice that you have real trouble debating with someone without personally insulting them. Maybe that's something you can work on. And no, I didn't make "shit" up.

And if you'd like to actually debate the content of my post, I'm anxious to read it. If you are unable to, then just say so. Trying to cover it up with an insult just makes you appear immature. Not that there's anything wrong with that... smh
                              Well said

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                I felt nearly the same way about Villaneuva as I do about Bargnani. I thought he was vastly overrated by most Raptor fans who were mesmerized by his offensive skillset (sound familiar?). In fact, on one popular forum at the time (I think it was Hoopsworld), the consensus among Raptor fans was that Villanueva would be a better player than Bosh. Villenuava was actually the reason I came up with the FGA/FTA ratio as a way to tell how good a scorer someone could be.

Plus, Villanueva was horrible on defense. I was absolutely thrilled when I heard about the trade for Ford.
                                I dont know about better than Bosh but i do remember people saying him and Bosh could be a twin headed monster lol...and in hindsight yea he completely fell off,is terrible on D and is soft as terry cloth....it was skewered by a decent rookie season one where he scored 48 points in a game...that right there is going to make ppl think he could be legit cuz not alot of bums rookies or not have done that......but looking back it def was a fluke...

Comment

Working...
                                X