Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trife76
    replied
    Raps will be alot worse than 40-42 and its got little to do with Bosh moreso that the east got a lot tougher....

Knicks,Indy,Washington and NJ all going to be better ESP Wiz and Nets so not only are we LESS talented as a roster
    but several teams got more talented and more talented than us.....i cant wait to here the reasons in mid Jan were losing by 20 at home but trust me folks its coming....but it shouldnt bother yall cuz it means Harrison Barnes is on the way

Leave a comment:

• Frankthetank
    replied
    I can guarentee that non of those analyst have watched as many raptors basketball games then myself or half the people on the board. YOur telling me that these analyst with 29 teams are going to watch 7 preseason games of the team they predict to finish last in the eastern conference. Come on shake your head! The raptors are as good or better then new york, philidelphia, new jersey, detroit, washington and indians. The season will dictate who's better not these talking heads. Almost all these morons had the bucks in the bottom three of the eastern conference last year.
    Toronto will compete and their will be very little that seperates these 7 teams. At this point based on the preseason they would have just as much chance to be better then all these teams as anyone of those teams.
    If life was so simple it would be easy to say that with bosh and turk gone we would fall off a cliff. The fact that these two were such bad leaders and chemistry killers kills this arguement.
    Its obvious that the team has better chemistry and is better suited to play together then last years team. A reduction of talent doesn't mean they will fall of the cliff. Depth and skill aren't to bad as compared to their eastern conference peers.

Leave a comment:

• JoePanini
    replied
    This year, our division is going to be super tough. 12 games against Boston, New York and New Jersey will be pretty tough. 76ers won't pose too much of a threat but they have young talent and will definitely have one W against us...

Leave a comment:

• kcharito
    replied
    We are fed up with the US predictions.
    I don't know if we win 1 or 70 (?!?!?) games. All I want to watch is the team playing.
    I enjoyed very much the game at Montreal, the atmosphere was great, the team was better i believe.
    Of course nobody could stop Amare. But the defensive play in general was much better than the previous pre-season games.

I believe that the team will not be worse than last year. Ok, we don't have Bosh. Everybody asks who will take 11 rebounds and score 24 points per game. I could answer that Evans may take 11 rebounds per game, and maybe Bargniani-Barbosa-Kleiza trio could score more than 24 per game.
    I don't know I just looking forward to tip-off.
    The only thing that makes me believe that this year may be more difficult than last one, is that some playoff contenders of the past years like Chicago, Miami and New York, strengthened their teams much.

Leave a comment:

• JoePanini
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Who said 60??? I don't even remember 50?..
    Yahoo! and ESPN I think... Loads of analysts thought that after our division leading year, we were going to keep increasing, and after our little slump people still thought we could get 50. I remember cause I was telling my friends how they were nuts...

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Who said 60??? I don't even remember 50?..

Leave a comment:

• JoePanini
    replied
    I'll just say that I don't care what ESPN predicts. They said that we could in 50 games last year. Some analysts said 60. So yeah. I don't get the point of these predictions, it's not important what these guys think, I would rather hear what our players honestly predict.

Leave a comment:

• Pizzaman
    replied
    ESPN knows shit!
    This team may not win as many games as last year, but IMO it will not be because they are worse than last year, but rather because most other teams in their division and the East in general have improved greatly.
    Getting back to this team versus last years team:
    We have not replaced CB4 offensively or on the boards and their will be some leakage there for sure, HOWEVER;
    Kleiza is a HUGE improvement to Turk both ends of the floor and also has swagger and leadership ability.
    Bargnani will be better as will Amir and Jack, and DeRozan and Weems will both have breakout years.
    Barbosa was a steal and is better than anyone we had coming off the bench last year and will be a huge sprak both ends. Davis will develop into asolid player and will provide depth this year.
    Our depth is better than last year for sure and Anderson is an improvement over Rasho.
    We got rid of ball hog chuckers ( you know who)
    Evans is improved a great deal if only because he did nothing last year.
    This team will get better and better as they play and learn and I expect them to be a nice team to watch by the second half.

Leave a comment:

• Employee
    replied
    Come on people!! What do you really expect this year? Who is actually worse than us (on paper at least)??

Cavs still have 2 all stars, a bunch of really solid role players and a chip on their soldier.

New Jersey has an awesome coach and are way deeper than last year.

Beside that, who even comes close? I hope I'm wrong, but this is gonna be a long ass year and most of you are being delusional.

Leave a comment:

• Raptorsss
    replied
    Guys who's going to step up? It doesn't matter on offense. The team has 6 players who can put up 20 points a game. The touches will be shared, this team does not need a super-star to carry the team. There's some things to consider looking at the pre-season stats (which are still important) the team is near the top in most offensive categories and are third in steals. They've outrebounded their opponents. When was the last time you've seen the team do that?

The fact even with many of the same players as last year this is a completely different team. They are no longer a jump shooting, 3-point shooting, high-free throw %/assist team.

This is a team that rebounds and forces turnovers. A team that will make the majority of their points in the paint (even without a legitimate post-up game). The offense and defense are completely different than last year.

My point, is everyone (including myself), crapped on Milwaukee for losing 3 starters last year and they were projected to finish 14th in the conference. How did that turn out? They were a healthy Bogut away from making the second round.

This is a team that will play close games and get occasionally blown out by some of the better teams. Don't count them out, scrappy teams can surprise a lot people.

Note: On a side note, yes its only preseason, but the Raptors beat the Knicks in almost every significant statistical category. They are also posting the worst defense in the league. Their the Raptors 2.0, one dominating talent surrounded by jump shooting mediocrity. The team is way way overrated. Who cares about the talent if D'Antoni refuses to coach defense.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    I think you'll see teams play tight man to man on the Raptors, daring them to drive.

Leave a comment:

• sleepz
    replied
    tbihis wrote: View Post
    I think the constant references to Bosh and Turk states that thats where theyre basing this season's outcome, but what kinda gets to me is that theyre saying that the raps already struggled when those 2 were in the lineup, what more without them? but like i said, theyre playing a different format now, and we have more than enough players who can score.

Basketball is a team game, and the raps have enough players who can step up and take charge. just because players are not starters doesnt mean theyre not as good. fisher is the starting PG for the lakers, have you seen him put up monster numbers? his stats are not even close to calderon.

bottomline is, predictions are doomed from the beginning. you cant really say whats going to happen after 82 games. like i said before, ESPN ranked the raptors 26th pre-season and they ended up winning a division title. go figure.
    Nothing wrong with optimism, and yes the Raptors have surprised when they have been doomed by sports writers in the past. Predictions are calculated guesses so you make plenty of sense.

When you look at the roster do you really believe their scoring will remain constant, knowing that they won't get to the line as often and there will be less double teams as no player on the roster commands a consistent one? Do you also believe that with the subtraction of Bosh and Hedo that the remaining players will now show their true defensive abilities? It's only preseason but from what I've seen the defence looks equally as bad as last year and unless they are pressing (that full-court stuff got Pitino booted out of the league mind you) I expect similar defensive stats to last year.

No disputing that basketball is a team game and I agree that Fisher doesn't put up monster numbers.....but he plays with a collection of guys that do. Talent wins and while I agree that just because you are not a starter doesn't mean you are not good, but against teams with unquestionable starters and proven talented players, the Raps would have to play with an energy and level of confidence and basketball IQ that I haven't seen from this team in years to be competitive.

I would like the Raptors to prove the doubters wrong as I am one of the doubters myself, but I don't see it happening and I'm hoping that at the end of the year we will have the chance to draft or acquire some better talent under the watchful eye of a new GM and coach.

Leave a comment:

• MangoKid
    replied
    I think the constant references to Bosh and Turk states that thats where theyre basing this season's outcome, but what kinda gets to me is that theyre saying that the raps already struggled when those 2 were in the lineup, what more without them? but like i said, theyre playing a different format now, and we have more than enough players who can score.

Basketball is a team game, and the raps have enough players who can step up and take charge. just because players are not starters doesnt mean theyre not as good. fisher is the starting PG for the lakers, have you seen him put up monster numbers? his stats are not even close to calderon.

bottomline is, predictions are doomed from the beginning. you cant really say whats going to happen after 82 games. like i said before, ESPN ranked the raptors 26th pre-season and they ended up winning a division title. go figure.
    But who's really gonna step up? I know you'll say Kleiza and while he looked great at the FIBA WC's, he hasn't proven that he can do it on the NBA stage. Both DeRozan and Weems are raw (as Davis will be when he returns), Amir is still foul prone, Bargnani's having an awful pre-seaon and will have to put up with double-teams for the first time on a consistent basis. All in all, I hope we're a fun bunch to watch with a lot of running, fast breaks and hustle and energy. Leave it all out on the court. However, it's easier said than done.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied

The criticism that those analysts were primarily giving, outside the loss of household names, was defense.

This team is an entirely different beast than the one that won the division. That team had seasoned, smart vets to depend on and the division was really weak that year. Things have changed.

One more thing. If we're going to use the rationality that ESPN once knocked the Raptors prior to the season beginning and then they went on to win the division then what about the other (probably) ten seasons where they didn't give them a favorable outlook prior to the season and the team went on to stink? They still have a better win% than the Raptors do in any season in their 15 year existence.

MangoKid wrote: View Post
    This team is bad. Like really bad. I'd be surprised if we do win more than 30 games. There are still rebounding deficiencies, still no real go-to scorer, issues on D, no real identity. We'll be basement dwellers all season.
    Yes and this place will be very interesting if you like watching people running around with their hair on fire.
    Last edited by Apollo; Fri Oct 22, 2010, 04:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MangoKid
    replied
    This team is bad. Like really bad. I'd be surprised if we do win more than 30 games. There are still rebounding deficiencies, still no real go-to scorer, issues on D, no real identity. We'll be basement dwellers all season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X