The Chris Bosh Trade: Trade Deadline Vs. Summer Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chris Bosh Trade: Trade Deadline Vs. Summer Time

A lot has been discussed lately about the lack of curtousy Bosh showed his former team by not giving them good heads up on his decision to leave. Many feel Bosh had his mind made up All-Star weekend. This was before the trade deadline. So, my question to you is this. If Bosh had let the team know his intentions prior to the trade deadline or if Colangelo came to the conclusion anyway and he had moved Bosh then, what do you feel he would have got back in return? Would it have been better than what he got in the summer? Keep in mind that there would be no TPE, given that any team seriously in the hunt to re-sign him would have been a contender and over the cap.
    2010 Trade Deadline
    75.00%
    Summer Of 2010
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Colangelo fully well knew that Bosh wasn't sticking around prior to the trade deadline, he would have jettisoned him. And a like Houston probably would have made a solid pitch - probably offering up their own soon-to-be FA in Scola in return. I don't think Bynum was ever on the table.

Comment

There were many rumors suggesting that Bynum was on the table. If it went down I don't think the Lakers would have had to worry about Bosh bolting. He probably would have got a ring. He would also had all the attention and T.V. time he could ever want.

Comment

Something tells me before long he going to start re thinking jumping on Wade and Brons coattails....We all know he did this for attention and to show he's on those guys level and now he already has to defend criticism that he isnt lol...

i love the fact Udonis Haslem is out playing him right now making him look kinda irrelevant...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          There were many rumors suggesting that Bynum was on the table. If it went down I don't think the Lakers would have had to worry about Bosh bolting. He probably would have got a ring. He would also had all the attention and T.V. time he could ever want.
          I remember the Lakers saying that it was never really on the table and that they floated the rumours out there to light a fire under Bynum. I also know Bynum is a personal favourite of Jerry Buss and vetoed a few trades in the past involving AB.

Comment

Link? I missed that story.

Comment

Trading Bosh regardless was not an option. BC was already starting to say things like "that if Bosh did not stay he had promised to work together on a s&t". No team out there would have been willing to give anything significant unless an extension with Bosh was forthcoming (except maybe Houston who had plenty of assets). The past season, even if BC knew before the trade deadline there was the other matter of how well the team was doing at the allstar break. Was he just going to let the season go into the toilet? Well, as it turns out it did after all regardless. That is probably what is most irksome. No, the trade horse had left the barn the previous summer for anything significant in return and then too. Witness what is happening with Carmelo. In his case everyone knows he is going to leave but Denver feels they are not getting enough and are holding off. I recognize there is a diff. because he has been more open (not to the public) about where he wants to go. Bosh was untruthful.

Addendum: the NBA has to find a solution to the movement of "franchise" players in the next cba. As we all know, unlike other sports, the effect of such a player from a team (without adequate fallback/replacement) is devastating. On the other hand the acquisition of one can do wonders . Its not just the 20% immediate improvement but the residual pos. effect such an addition has on the other 80% of the starting lineup. I imagine it's conversely true for the losing team...in most cases.

Comment

Gimme a few minutes. Lemme see if I can dig it up.

Comment

Either way it's a crappy tactic to deploy in my opinion.

Comment

Trade rumors take on many different forms during a long 82-game regular season. Some are very real and just the right phone call from happening, some are created by the local media seeking that watercooler buzz on a slow news day and others are motivational ploys intended to light a fire under a player with very little motivation.

Hmmm, now that sounds a little too familiar.

That Andrew Byunum for Chris Bosh trade was just that, a leak by the Lakers front office with the sole message: Pick up your game or we're shipping your ass to Toronto!
                    BTW - Bynum's not getting traded for Chris Bosh! Besides being a motivational ploy, let's look at it further. Bynum *IS* Jim Buss's guy. Do not underestimate the power of that situation! Many teams came through with interesting offers for Bynum and the Lakers turned down all of them. Jim is slated to take over Jerry Buss's spot on the team and Bynum is his long-term cornerstone. Plus roster-wise Bosh doesn't fit. Gasol is a 4 who can play the 5 and Bosh is a 4 only. The Lakers, who's advantage is being long and big, find themselves getting a little smaller with Bosh. It was never happening.
                    LINK

I think Phil Jackson also admitted it on television that it was just a motivational tool.

There are a few more sites with the rumour being de-bunked.

Comment

I think I'm pretty happy with how things went. I like our new team, I like the new feeling. We play a lot harder now, we play more as a team. So I think Bosh's departure might have brought something good. Because even with Bosh, we would never have reached the level to win in the post-season. And with the salary and court attention he takes up, it would have been hard to put good players around him. Now we have a nice team, no stars but 10 solid players. And in a few years, I think we can go back to winning. We need to utilize the draft, that we wouldn't have been able to if we had Bosh because we would always be either a late lottery pick or playoffs, and work up the ladder just like Portland did and so did OKC.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                        I think I'm pretty happy with how things went. I like our new team, I like the new feeling. We play a lot harder now, we play more as a team. So I think Bosh's departure might have brought something good. Because even with Bosh, we would never have reached the level to win in the post-season. And with the salary and court attention he takes up, it would have been hard to put good players around him. Now we have a nice team, no stars but 10 solid players. And in a few years, I think we can go back to winning. We need to utilize the draft, that we wouldn't have been able to if we had Bosh because we would always be either a late lottery pick or playoffs, and work up the ladder just like Portland did and so did OKC.
                        +1
                        and I love the third fiddle role Bosh has in Miami, and I love the fact he's playing poorly

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                          LINK

I think Phil Jackson also admitted it on television that it was just a motivational tool.

There are a few more sites with the rumour being de-bunked.
                          Thanks man. I somehow totally missed that. Like I said earlier, I think it's a crappy tactic. As far fetched as it may sound right now, there may come a time when the Lakers need Andrew Bynum more than he needs the Lakers.

Because even with Bosh, we would never have reached the level to win in the post-season. And with the salary and court attention he takes up, it would have been hard to put good players around him.
                          Excellent point Joe.

Comment

If you think and look back now, the more it seems like the whole Miami Three gig was planned right from the get go.

I dont think it wouldve mattered if Bosh informed BC that he was not resigning with the Raps, bottomline is, it was fairly obvious that he was intending to hit FA to sign with the Heat. If he really wanted to play for a contender, he couldve gone into a compromise with BC to sign the extension and then get traded to a contender, coz no way in hell BC is gonna get anything valuable in return for Bosh without an extension. In fantasy, NBA live, NB 2k, maybe. But in reality, when youre trading away a franchise player, the other 31 managers know that that player wants out, and fast. No way theyre going to offer a level-deal for a franchise player who will eventually opt out after the season. Thats why i kept defending BC on the Bosh situation. Coz he was pretty much Bosh's hostage. Trade Bosh and get nothing, or wait till the summer and hopefully do a S&T. Bosh knew he was going to team up with LBJ and Wade, coz why did he wait to do the sign and trade? why did he waste a whole season? coz he knew it was going to be worth it at the end.

Comment

im actually happy with the current Raps, that is, if BC doesnt blow it up again. I hope he keeps this team intact even while losing games. and by team i mean the young gunz, plus jack, davis, alabi, kleiza, even wright and calderon.

but losing a high calibre player like Bosh does hurt. imagine if he made the sacrifice to join the heat, with the raps, we couldve signed another high calibre player to play alongside him. i just pity him coz he'll eventually see himself getting lost in the shuffle in miami, specially if they get a good PG and center. Its fairly obvious that the offense runs through Lebron and Wade, and they cant throw it in the inside to Bosh because he is not a post up player. Once they get a center who can score, rebound and block, Bosh will fade further more into the background.

Comment

Working...
                              X