Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double TAX? Canada's Hidden Problem?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    heinz57 wrote: View Post
    you want bad. visit the basement of the V.I. in bradford. classy joint. saw a dude eating a bowl of popcorn in there.

    or there's one in orillia close to rama that i have nightmares about on a regular basis..

    dont judge me you pricks... i like naked whores.
    hahahah same here!

    Comment


    • #32
      PapiJulio wrote: View Post
      Have you ever been to Canada? Or just assume that we live in igloo's all year? I only live in my igloo for 9 months of the year. The other 3 months I ride my Dog Sled to the north Pole.

      Sorry Tim... you left yourself wide open after that comment!
      I was being sarcastic. I thought it was obvious by stating a misconception Americans have and then state that the other problem is the misconceptions Americans have. I thought it was pretty obvious, personally.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

      Comment


      • #33
        MangoKid wrote: View Post
        I didn't know that the games were played outside.
        + 1

        Comment


        • #34
          PapiJulio wrote: View Post
          Sounds like we are getting closer to a answer here....
          If you were so inclined, I am not, you could probably find the treaty if there is one, in some kind of summarized form by searching for something like "Tax Treaty U.S. Canada"
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

          Memories some so sweet, indeed

          Larger Photo of the avatar



          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

          Comment


          • #35
            tbihis wrote: View Post
            im gonna shy away from this one...
            The Clippers have some very good young talent

            Griffin
            Gordon
            Bledsoe
            Aminu - Who will be better than Davis
            Jordan

            All obtained in the last few seasons through the draft.

            Their biggest problem in my opinion is their head trainer and his strengthening and conditioning program. In my opinion his programs may be contributing significantly to Clippers history of higher than normal player days lost each season due to injury.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

            Memories some so sweet, indeed

            Larger Photo of the avatar



            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

            Comment


            • #36
              Buddahfan wrote: View Post
              The Clippers have some very good young talent

              Griffin
              Gordon
              Bledsoe
              Aminu - Who will be better than Davis
              Jordan

              All obtained in the last few seasons through the draft.

              Their biggest problem in my opinion is their head trainer and his strengthening and conditioning program. In my opinion his programs may be contributing significantly to Clippers history of higher than normal player days lost each season due to injury.
              I dont think you should be mentioning the Raps in the same sentence as the Clippers. That team is cursed, we dont want their bad luck rubbing off on us.

              I think drafting young players and having young players on your team is good for the future, but even then, you need veteran leadership, and not just a veteran yapping on the sidelines, you need a guy on the floor for 30-35 minutes guiding these youngs during the game. Why do you think the phrase "experience counts" became a cliche in the NBA. Because experience counts. OKC did take the Lakers to game 7, but why did they lose? Because Durant didnt have the veteran leadership Kobe has. Kobe stunk during game 7 of the finals but the Lakers still won. Because of Pau and Odom? Sure, but Kobe was there and he made things happen.

              I think you should refrain from using terms like "Who will be better than...." you dont want to shoot yourself on the foot and stuff it in your mouth later, hehehe thats 2 sayings in one! They said Olowokandi was the next David Robinson, Kwame Brown the next Tim Duncan, Bargnani, Oden....I think in the draft, picks 1-3 there's 60% chance the player will do good but 4 onwards is pretty much a coin toss. Like i always say, try and get talent in the current NBA pool, players who have experience, knows the system and can take an 82 game grind, if you really cant then draft it is.

              Biggest problem with the clippers is theyre cursed and bad management, like the Raps (oh shit i mentioned them in the same sentence). theyre probably going to do something in the future to mess up the young core, like maybe trade one of them along with baron to sweeten the deal, or griffin gets injured again.

              Comment


              • #37
                the clippers only have one problem.

                donald sterling

                but its a massive greasy problem.. and it seeps down and infects everything beneath it.

                Comment


                • #38
                  tbihis wrote: View Post
                  I dont think you should be mentioning the Raps in the same sentence as the Clippers. That team is cursed, we dont want their bad luck rubbing off on us.

                  I think drafting young players and having young players on your team is good for the future, but even then, you need veteran leadership, and not just a veteran yapping on the sidelines, you need a guy on the floor for 30-35 minutes guiding these youngs during the game. Why do you think the phrase "experience counts" became a cliche in the NBA. Because experience counts. OKC did take the Lakers to game 7, but why did they lose? Because Durant didnt have the veteran leadership Kobe has. Kobe stunk during game 7 of the finals but the Lakers still won. Because of Pau and Odom? Sure, but Kobe was there and he made things happen.

                  I think you should refrain from using terms like "Who will be better than...." you dont want to shoot yourself on the foot and stuff it in your mouth later, hehehe thats 2 sayings in one! They said Olowokandi was the next David Robinson, Kwame Brown the next Tim Duncan, Bargnani, Oden....I think in the draft, picks 1-3 there's 60% chance the player will do good but 4 onwards is pretty much a coin toss. Like i always say, try and get talent in the current NBA pool, players who have experience, knows the system and can take an 82 game grind, if you really cant then draft it is.

                  Biggest problem with the clippers is theyre cursed and bad management, like the Raps (oh shit i mentioned them in the same sentence). theyre probably going to do something in the future to mess up the young core, like maybe trade one of them along with baron to sweeten the deal, or griffin gets injured again.
                  In my opinion the biggest problem today with the Clippers is their head trainer.

                  This curse stuff is not in my realm of reality.

                  There is a rational explanation for everything that happens and the curse is not rational

                  As far as the young guys especially Aminu in this case I can tell that he is already better than Davis by far.

                  He is already averaging 15 and 8 per 36 minutes in about 12 mpg.

                  He is shooting 46% including 67% on his threes (7 for 11)

                  http://www.basketball-reference.com/...aminual01.html

                  Aminu can do it all except for one thing.

                  1. He can score inside, mid-range and shoot and make the three.
                  2. He can rebound
                  3. He can defend
                  4. He can run the floor
                  5. He has good handles.

                  He was a PF in college and the Clippers are using him at SF. So he needs to get up to speed in learning how to defend that position. However, he has all the physical skills to do that. It is just a matter of time until he learns how to do it.

                  Aminu would have to become a total head case, which is always possible, or become injury prone, which is always possible, but if neither of those two happen he will far better than Davis.

                  I have seen all of his games with the Clippers. The guy can just outright ball.

                  I also saw Davis play in the LVSL so I have a comparison though limited in playing time.

                  But in terms of overall physical and basketball skills Aminu has more than Davis. There is a reason that he was drafted before Davis.

                  The Clippers have not made a bad first round draft pick in the last three drafts. In fact all of the players are performing at least to if not in excess of expectations by the so called experts.

                  I do agree that you need a veteran to help a young core.

                  However, saying that I am not making any claims for the Clippers this season. It all depends on health. EJ is still by far their most important player. I don't think they have won a game in the last two seasons when he has been injured.

                  He is probably one of the best #2 guards in the league right now. You can make book on that. Since the FIBA tournament he has added the final touch that he needs to become an all-star and that is a stepped up aggressiveness.

                  VDN has them playing very hard except for Baron Davis.

                  Davis and Kaman are their two biggest problems. Kaman has a very low basketball IQ and his dumb plays vs Utah cost the Clippers the game vs Utah literally. The game only went into over time because Kaman committed a lane violation on a successful free throw by EJ, which if Kaman had not done the Clippers would have won.

                  Davis is horrible. I hate this guys game. I never liked it since his days at UCLA though he did put some very good numbers in N.O and with with GS. It has always seemed to me that he was a "me first" player. He would have been okay at maybe a #2 slot if he were taller. However, like Jack he is too much "me first" player to be a good Point Guard. Yes he has gotten credit for some past successes and I can't say that he didn't deserve it but his conditioning attitude and overall play since he signed with Clippers have stunk.
                  Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Nov 12, 2010, 03:16 PM.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                  Memories some so sweet, indeed

                  Larger Photo of the avatar



                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    heinz57 wrote: View Post
                    the clippers only have one problem.

                    donald sterling

                    but its a massive greasy problem.. and it seeps down and infects everything beneath it.
                    You are parroting the Clipper bashers.

                    Yes Sterling may be the problem if he refuses to have their head trainer fired and replaced with someone who is competent. Sterling doesn't design the strength and conditioning programs, the Clippers head trainer, Jason Powell does. The guy in my opinion just needs to go.

                    People love to bash Sterling and I can't say a lot of it isn't warranted. I for one would have loved to see him sell the Clippers this last summer to a group of investors led by David Geffen. Alas, he did not.

                    However having said that the Clippers have lost a a lot a players games to injury under Powell's watch and he needs to go before the Clippers will ever become a success. You can't win in the NBA no matter what kind of talent you have on the roster if that talent is way to excessively injured and and out of uniform as a result.
                    Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Nov 12, 2010, 03:24 PM.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                    Memories some so sweet, indeed

                    Larger Photo of the avatar



                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      In my opinion the biggest problem today with the Clippers is their head trainer.

                      This curse stuff is not in my realm of reality.
                      I was just joking on the curse part, but maybe they are, who knows.

                      Well right now, even pick 58 Caracter is better than Davis. Because Davis hasnt played a single NBA game. Lets get back to this topic after Davis is fully healed and playing at his full speed.

                      EJ? or did you mean EG? Yeah Gordon is a beast.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        tbihis wrote: View Post
                        I was just joking on the curse part, but maybe they are, who knows.

                        Well right now, even pick 58 Caracter is better than Davis. Because Davis hasnt played a single NBA game. Lets get back to this topic after Davis is fully healed and playing at his full speed.

                        EJ? or did you mean EG? Yeah Gordon is a beast.
                        EJ is his nickname. It stands for Eric Jr.
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                        Memories some so sweet, indeed

                        Larger Photo of the avatar



                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                          You are parroting the Clipper bashers.

                          Yes Sterling may be the problem if he refuses to have their head trainer fired and replaced with someone who is competent. Sterling doesn't design the strength and conditioning programs, the Clippers head trainer, Jason Powell does. The guy in my opinion just needs to go.

                          People love to bash Sterling and I can't say a lot of it isn't warranted. I for one would have loved to see him sell the Clippers this last summer to a group of investors led by David Geffen. Alas, he did not.

                          However having said that the Clippers have lost a a lot a players games to injury under Powell's watch and he needs to go before the Clippers will ever become a success. You can't win in the NBA no matter what kind of talent you have on the roster if that talent is way to excessively injured and and out of uniform as a result.
                          Are you saying that Portland needs to fire their head trainer as well? Or the Raptors since Kleiza, Davis, Barbosa are all injured? How bout the Lakers with Kobe always banged up?

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            From: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q66

                            "66. Are teams really competing on a level playing field? Since the tax rate is different in the different states and Canada, don't the teams in a more "tax friendly" state have an advantage over the other teams?

                            Yes they do. For example, since Florida has no state income tax, an offer from Orlando will offer a higher net income than the same offer from Los Angeles. However, the league added a regulation to help neutralize the tax disadvantage of Canadian teams. All teams are permitted to offer a signing bonus of up to 20% (see question number 65). For U.S. residents in Canada, this bonus is taxed at just 15%. Using this bonus, Canadian teams can nearly achieve tax neutrality."

                            Shaq should consult a proper accountant. This subject just gets beaten to death a couple of times a year at least. The team in Orlando just "down the road" from the Atlanta team enjoys a larger take home packet. The tax rates in NYC are higher than Toronto.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Bendit wrote: View Post
                              From: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q66

                              "66. Are teams really competing on a level playing field? Since the tax rate is different in the different states and Canada, don't the teams in a more "tax friendly" state have an advantage over the other teams?

                              Yes they do. For example, since Florida has no state income tax, an offer from Orlando will offer a higher net income than the same offer from Los Angeles. However, the league added a regulation to help neutralize the tax disadvantage of Canadian teams. All teams are permitted to offer a signing bonus of up to 20% (see question number 65). For U.S. residents in Canada, this bonus is taxed at just 15%. Using this bonus, Canadian teams can nearly achieve tax neutrality."

                              Shaq should consult a proper accountant. This subject just gets beaten to death a couple of times a year at least. The team in Orlando just "down the road" from the Atlanta team enjoys a larger take home packet. The tax rates in NYC are higher than Toronto.
                              Great post. Thank you.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Bendit wrote: View Post
                                From: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q66

                                "66. Are teams really competing on a level playing field? Since the tax rate is different in the different states and Canada, don't the teams in a more "tax friendly" state have an advantage over the other teams?

                                Yes they do. For example, since Florida has no state income tax, an offer from Orlando will offer a higher net income than the same offer from Los Angeles. However, the league added a regulation to help neutralize the tax disadvantage of Canadian teams. All teams are permitted to offer a signing bonus of up to 20% (see question number 65). For U.S. residents in Canada, this bonus is taxed at just 15%. Using this bonus, Canadian teams can nearly achieve tax neutrality."

                                Shaq should consult a proper accountant. This subject just gets beaten to death a couple of times a year at least. The team in Orlando just "down the road" from the Atlanta team enjoys a larger take home packet. The tax rates in NYC are higher than Toronto.
                                Same here, great post. Ive been really stuck on the notion we have higher taxes.

                                But the problem is, players dont know this. They go by word of mouth, i mean if shaq said it, other players are probably thinking it too. Education is the key.

                                I guess if cold and taxes are really not the problem, then winning is. Like the Clips, great weather, low tax, but still no great players. Nobody wants to join losers, bottomline.

                                Im hoping there will come a time when a superstar realizes, hey, i can create my legacy with a team like the Raptors. If i get this team to contend, this will be my legacy. So far, nobody seems to man up. They all want to join the "other good guy".
                                Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Fri Nov 12, 2010, 04:09 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X