2011 NBA Draft - Who should be pick + International Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 NBA Draft - Who should be pick + International Players

I know it's extremely early in the season, but I have to bring this up. Who should we pick, the best talent on the board or a player we need. Next years draft will only have a few players who have the potential to be great, like Harrison and Irving and the rest are all decent players who will have "ok" NBA careers. Who would you pick if ALL the players were available (if we had no.1 pick) and what is your rank of the college and international players next year?

Also, next year's draft could end up being the draft with the most international players selected in the lottery. Players like Motiejunas, Valanciunas and Jan Vesely could all get picked in the lottery. Yahoo! had an article about the "average" NBA Draft next year in which Marc J. Spears thinks that 4 foreign players will be selected in the top 10.

1. Harrison Barnes, SG-SF, North Carolina freshman, 6-8, 210 pounds – Scout’s take: “He can score the basketball in bunches, really score. But can he make people around him better? He’s also a good rebounder, but he needs to improve his passing and defense. There’s a lot of work to do. He’s not a readymade player.”

2. Perry Jones, PF, Baylor freshman, 6-11, 220 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s very long and athletic. A lot of people say he is lazy and has a very low motor, but he does have a great skill set.”

3. Kyrie Irving, PG-SG, Duke freshman, 6-1, 172 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s the next Rod Strickland. One-and-done players are kind of rare there, but he’s good enough to play in the NBA next year. He’s a real true point guard. He makes tough plays and is a good passer. He’s like Chris Paul(notes), limited size-wise.”

4. Jonas Valanciunas, PF-C, Lithuania Lietuvos Rytas, 6-11, 230 pounds – Scout’s take: “Very long and can go to the glass on both ends. Can score in transition; plays above the rim. Nice hands. Still needs to work on strength against bigger players in the post. Playing big minutes in Europe against men.”

5. Donatas Motiejunas, PF-C, Italy Benetton Treviso, 7-0, 215 pounds – Scout’s take: “Long left-hander who can go to the post and score. Inconsistent, but can play above the rim. Like his skill set. Needs to get stronger. Could be special in time. Game more suited for NBA than Europe with his quickness.”

6. Jan Vesely, SF, KK Partizan Belgrade, 6-11, 240 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s having a slow start for Partizan. He’s an energy player, high-motor kid. He’s receding a little. He hasn’t produced the way a top-five pick should. He’s an above-the-rim, hustle guy.”

7. John Henson, PF, North Carolina sophomore, 6-10, 200 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s long with freakish arms for a 7-foot-1 wingspan. Very good ball skills. Used to be a point guard. Needs to improve his shooting and get in the weight room. He’s very thin with narrow shoulders.”

8. Mason Plumlee, C, Duke sophomore, 6-11, 210 pounds – Scout’s take: “Good athlete who had a solid freshman year and will be better this year. He has athleticism, size, great motor, finishes around the basket and toughness. Skill set not great, but he can improve.”

9. Josh Selby, PG, Kansas freshman, 6-1, 180 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s a Jonny Flynn(notes)-type of point guard. High energy. He will pick up the pace of a game. Definitely likes to go to basket. He can apply a lot of pressure on defense.”

10. Enes Kantner, PF-C, Turkey, 6-9, 250 pounds – Scout’s take: “He set a scoring record at the Hoop Summit breaking Dirk Nowitzki’s(notes) mark. Scouts saw him be a dominant player. He is a very gifted player inside, solid rebounder. He will be a good, not great player. It might help his stock that he doesn’t play at Kentucky.”
    Here are a couple of Mock Drafts:

mynbadraft.com
    draftexpress.com

I know it's early, but it's been a long week-end, and I'm pretty anxious on what Triano and Colangelo would do come Draft day...

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to tell but if I had to pick it'd be Barnes. He seems like the guy with the most skill and potential in next years draft.
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sat Nov 13, 2010, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I don't think Ed has ever played with Barnes? But it would have been awesome if they had played together last year! But I'd pick Kyrie Irving. Depending on PG prospects next year :/

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...hebuzzer111210

Supposedly 'they' are saying this is a weak draft.

Irving would be my pick right now - that is subject to change as the NCAA season has barely started.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...hebuzzer111210

Supposedly 'they' are saying this is a weak draft.

Irving would be my pick right now - that is subject to change as the NCAA season has barely started.
          I posted the same link But yeah, it also depends on how many good PG freshmen are not going for the draft...

Comment

It's hard to tell who to pick until the season starts. If recollection serves me well Ed Davis was a top 5 pick before he got injured in college.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I don't care who they draft.

However, I do know that they need a really good PG, really bad.

Maybe this kid will work?

Will let everyone know more after Monday night

15 - 4 in 23 minutes in his NCAA debut last night (He is a JUCO xfer)

The best Point Guards these days as a group are coming our of Kentucky and UCLA

KY
              ---
              Wall
              Bledsoe

UCLA
              ----------
              Westbrook
              Collison
              Holiday
              Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Nov 13, 2010, 10:55 AM.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                It's hard to tell who to pick until the season starts. If recollection serves me well Ed Davis was a top 5 pick before he got injured in college.
                I don't know where he wsa ranked when he got injured but in Rivals 2008 high school class Davis was ranked 15th.

He may have moved up after his freshman season in college.

Was he an early withdrawal from the 2009 draft?

Rivals
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

gimme some of that perry jones. 6-11 sf that rebounds like pf and can drop 3's? yes please.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

i think barnes will be a solid pro but doesn't have the star potential jones does. plus he's already a better defender.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                      I posted the same link But yeah, it also depends on how many good PG freshmen are not going for the draft...
                      Sorry about that. I didn't click on your link but thought that write up looked familiar :s

Comment

1.Barnes
                        2.Perry
                        3. Irving

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Sorry about that. I didn't click on your link but thought that write up looked familiar :s
                          It's alright

Comment

It says Irving has a height disadvantage, but Chris Paul is 6-0 and still owns people. It will be fun to watch the NCAA go by. Maybe new people will stand out. The Raptors DEFINITELY need a PG this next year though. We can't afford not to.

Comment

Harrison Barnes sounds like an athletic Carmelo. No.1 or Top 5 pick, as long as that guy is on the board, we get him, we need a guy who can demand the ball, besides, we have another first rounder, our team's future looks good AS long as we pick the right players, which probably will hinder us anyways b/c BC sucks at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X