2011 NBA Draft - Who should be pick + International Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

matt wrote: View Post
    Harrison Barnes sounds like an athletic Carmelo. No.1 or Top 5 pick, as long as that guy is on the board, we get him, we need a guy who can demand the ball, besides, we have another first rounder, our team's future looks good AS long as we pick the right players, which probably will hinder us anyways b/c BC sucks at it.
    I'd much rather have a guy that is a team player then go back to superstar carrying the team.
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sun Nov 14, 2010, 04:29 AM.

Comment

I certainly didn't like reading this...

One scout likened this year’s class to the 2006 draft, when the Toronto Raptors took Andrea Bargnani(notes) with the No. 1 pick.
      Whether or not you're a Bargnani fan, the fact of the matter is that the draft was a weak one and history may be repeating itself again. If the Raptors get a top pick in another weak draft that would be incredibly disappointing.

That said, Harrison Barnes is the guy I like the most, from what little I've seen. He seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders, too, which is important.

I don't like what I'm hearing about Perry possibly being lazy. That's the last thing you want from your potential franchise player. I'd rather have a guy with a little less skill, but who leaves it on the floor every night.

I'd like to see more of Irving before I pass any judgements on him.

If Kanter's knees are good, he might be intriguing. He's a big, tough, strong center who plays both ends of the floor well and has a high IQ. I'd be very wary about his knees, though.

I do think that Colangelo will probably not draft an International player, unless one drops. I think there's been too much backlash about that and he seems to be trying to get away from that label a little.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

What if we traded for 2012 draft picks? We need to wait for the trade deadline, and see how the college rankings are. Because if there are more promising HS players then maybe we SHOULD trade for 2012...

Comment

I would take barnes, best one in my opinion.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            I certainly didn't like reading this...

Whether or not you're a Bargnani fan, the fact of the matter is that the draft was a weak one and history may be repeating itself again. If the Raptors get a top pick in another weak draft that would be incredibly disappointing.

That said, Harrison Barnes is the guy I like the most, from what little I've seen. He seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders, too, which is important.

I don't like what I'm hearing about Perry possibly being lazy. That's the last thing you want from your potential franchise player. I'd rather have a guy with a little less skill, but who leaves it on the floor every night.

I'd like to see more of Irving before I pass any judgements on him.

If Kanter's knees are good, he might be intriguing. He's a big, tough, strong center who plays both ends of the floor well and has a high IQ. I'd be very wary about his knees, though.

I do think that Colangelo will probably not draft an International player, unless one drops. I think there's been too much backlash about that and he seems to be trying to get away from that label a little.
            As long as the Raptors draft the Aldridges, Roys, Gays, or Rondos it will not be considered a poor draft class for the Raptors.

Comment

I'd just like to point out that we're told every year will be a "weak" draft, and that's rarely the case. For example, last year's draft was supposedly weak. But we got Wall, Turner, Cousins, Bledsoe, Fields, and Paul George among others that will all be very solid players for years to come. Already 4 stars-in-the-making. Probably more.
              Joshua Priemski
              NBA blogger
              SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
              www.RufusOnFire.com/
              www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the NCAA and I can't watch any game in my country, but as always I can say a thing or two about the international players.

About Donatas Motiejunas, he was expected to be the next big star coming out from Europe, but he's development is taking too much time. A lot has been written about him, but the fact that he didn't make the Lithuanian National Team for the last World Cup, was a surprise, because except for Kleiza, the rest of the team was absent.

Jan Vesely had a excelent season last year with Partizan, taking the team to the final four with a weak roster compared to some powerhouses like CSKA, Real Madrid, Barcelona or Olympiacos. He can do about everything and he's everywhere on the floor, but he's not the type of player that will surprise every one with his talent.

I saw Jonas Valanciunas for the first time last Friday agains Barcelona. He's very young (Born in 1992) but I liked very much what I saw. He show flashes of a Marcin Gortat type of player. Plays near the basket, needs to be feed by a good passer in order to be productive. But to play at that level, at this young age and making 11 points and just a few mistakes, is something to remember.

He's foul prone but that could be because his young age and the lack of respect of the referees. He's body is not that weak as scouts say. He adeed some muscle in the summer a has a lot of potential to grow much more. He's a typical center, doesn't have the range of Bargs or Montiejunas but could be a potential beast in defense and rebouding. That being said, I don't think he'll end up as a lottery pick (if he enters the draft). If he and his team don't have a outstanding season this year (and no one expect them to have) he'll be a late mid first round, maybe we could add him with a draft day trade. Very interesnting prospect

Comment

Montiejunas he's compared to possibly being a poor man's Bargnani. Is that really a top 5 or lottery skill set, especially with some character issues (dude doesn't play defense or rebound).
                  As long as the raptors don't get number 1, then they will draft a point guard, maybe two.

So my top 5. 1.Harrison Barnes
                  2a. Kyrie Irving
                  2b.Brandon Knight (I hope the kid is a one and done, he's going to Kentucky after all).
                  4.Josh Selby (maybe like Westbrook can be converted to a PG in the NBA)
                  5.Malcolm Lee. A number of good front court players, but the Raptors should pass.
                  -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                  -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                    4.Josh Selby (maybe like Westbrook can be converted to a PG in the NBA)
                    I can't tell you how much that phrase brings me chills. The success rate of trying to convert SGs to PGs is so low it's scary. Westbrook actually played a lot of PG throughout his career before the NBA, so he's not actually a good example. Playing the PG position is a completely different skill set that is incredibly hard to learn. It's a complete change of mindset. Most simply fail and become undersized shooting guards. Bench players. That's if they stay in the league. The one's that make the transition, and it's a very low percentage, usually end up struggling for years, usually changing teams, before they are able to do it. Drafting a guy in the lottery and expecting to convert him would be a disaster waiting to happen. It's the main reason I was so against drafting Avery Bradley. As a late first rounder, or second rounder, you don't mind taking the gamble because if he just ends up being a 3rd or 4th guard, it's not a big deal. In the lottery, though, you can't make that big a gamble.

I remember thinking what a mistake it was drafting Jerryd Bayless so high. Portland has now given up on him and it's now on New Orleans, who doesn't have nearly the investment that Portland did. He might still end up being a good player, but his career has already gone the way most undersized SGs who were drafted to be converted to PG have gone.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Cory Joseph. His name is mentioned in the same sentence as Irving and Selby. Good point guard...and wait for it...HE'S FROM TORONTO.
                      Joshua Priemski
                      NBA blogger
                      SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                      www.RufusOnFire.com/
                      www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Kyrie Irving is the prospect who appeals to me the most. He strikes me as a fantastic blend of skills and seems to be a down to earth guy from the interviews I have watched with him. Forecasting right now, I would take him over any one else. In his first game for Duke, Kyrie dropped the following line:

17 points/9assists/4rebounds/1turnover/2steals/1block. He shot 4-10, 3/6 from three point, and 6/6 from the line. Oh yeah, he did all of this in only 25 minutes on the court.

I know that is a small sample size, but those are great numbers. He lead the team in assists and tied for lead in rebounds...a PG who controls the flow, scores when needed, and rebounds well. Those are some really nice numbers.

Enes Kanter also intrigues me. I am hoping we can move up in the draft and potentially get both of them. If we could walk away with a PG and Center to build around, the 2011 Draft could be the best day in Toronto Raptors history...not the hardest task, but still a brilliant day.
                        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Introcollapse wrote: View Post
                          I'm surprised no one's mentioned Cory Joseph. His name is mentioned in the same sentence as Irving and Selby. Good point guard...and wait for it...HE'S FROM TORONTO.
                          At this point, I haven't seen Joseph rank as even a lottery pick next year. I'd love for him to be a great player, but let's wait and see what he does. Besides, I don't know if you really want to make him the first ever Canadian player playing in his hometown. Great for the fans, bad for Joseph. Too many distractions.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I was thinking about this the other day too...

What if the Raps are in a position at the draft where Donatas Motiejunas is clearly the best player on the board, would they draft him? (eg. if they drafted 8-9th, and he is touted to be a 4-5th pick leading to the draft, but falls on draft day).

Normally I am 100% into "Draft the best player available" especially for teams that are so far away like the Raps. But this is one case where I think they should pass no matter what. The guy is described as a Bargs clone by nbadraft.net, with the same glaring weaknesses. Plus all the negativity there would be "oh not this again" would just make things worse. Even lets say hypothetically he pans out and becomes Bargs exactly (which would actually be a sucess all things considered) can you imagine 2 bargs on the floor? So my conclusion, do not draft that guy EVEN IF HE FALLS TO THE 2ND PICK (approx 25).

I would not say that Raps should not draft an international though. That Kanter kid looks alright. If they are in a position where he is the BPA, I say go for it.

Comment

josh selby would be my pick he looks like someone who would fit nicely with the pieces we already have. You pick barnes is your going for the best player in the draft which at this point looks weak with no real centers. Brandon knight looks like he may have another level to his game.

I am also keeping a eye out for Jordan Omogbehin who is going to usf next year.

Comment

Ummmm Ed Davis was never projected to be a top 5 player in the 2010 draft...stop making shit up..

Comment

Working...
                                X