Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Know This Post Will Jinx Him The "Garbage Man" is Now 4th in Points Per 36 Minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I, at least, am not claiming that Amir can play 36 mpg, but the fact is that, when he is on the court, he is extremely productive, so he should be given as many minutes as possible.

And can you guys please stop saying per 36 minute stats are meaningless. They aren't. They are the absolute best indicator of how productive a player is when he is on the court, which is what matters most.

And if per 36 minute stats are meaningless, why do you guys think that he would foul out in that amount of time? The only way to tell that is by using per 36 minute stats, which apparently are meaningless...
    Well, I didn't say they were meaningless, but they are just one tool of many to analyze a player (including watching the games, lol). They are quite useful, but not the absolute best stat, as you stated. The most glaring deficiency is that per 36 min stats are not pace adjusted, so in many circumstances it's better to look at ratings & percentages, etc...

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      Well, I didn't say they were meaningless, but they are just one tool of many to analyze a player (including watching the games, lol). They are quite useful, but not the absolute best stat, as you stated. The most glaring deficiency is that per 36 min stats are not pace adjusted, so in many circumstances it's better to look at ratings & percentages, etc...
      You didn't claim they were meaningless, but others have, and that part was directed at them.

As for your assertion, it's true that a player isn't going to play as hard for 36 minutes as he's going to play for 20, but first of all, that's besides the point if you want to find out how productive a player is while he's on the court. Whether or not he can stay on the court that long, the stats give you a good indication of what he does when he's on it. And also, players generally produce pretty similar numbers whether they play 26 or 36 minutes. Most players play a certain way instinctively and playing more minutes generally doesn't change that. For example, look at Marco Belinelli's stats...
      http://www.basketball-reference.com/...belinma01.html

His per 36 minute stats have changed very little from last year to this year even though he's getting 10 more minutes a game this season.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        You didn't claim they were meaningless, but others have, and that part was directed at them.

As for your assertion, it's true that a player isn't going to play as hard for 36 minutes as he's going to play for 20, but first of all, that's besides the point if you want to find out how productive a player is while he's on the court. Whether or not he can stay on the court that long, the stats give you a good indication of what he does when he's on it. And also, players generally produce pretty similar numbers whether they play 26 or 36 minutes. Most players play a certain way instinctively and playing more minutes generally doesn't change that. For example, look at Marco Belinelli's stats...
        http://www.basketball-reference.com/...belinma01.html

His per 36 minute stats have changed very little from last year to this year even though he's getting 10 more minutes a game this season.
        Minor correction here, Timmy. I think you misunderstood my use of the term 'pace adjusted', to mean guys pacing themselves. Pace adjusted means that some stats are calculated on a "per 100 possession" basis, as opposed to per minute (or per 36 min basis). This is to account for the fact that teams like PHX, NYK, GSW play at a high pace, which inflates the stats of some guys (like David Lee, for example) because they more offensive/defensive possessions, resulting in more opportunities to pad stats in the same amount of minutes. Using per 36 min to compare players within the same team (i.e. same pace) is valid, IMO.

Comment

Will he lose his #1 ranking from last season?

Fouls Per 36 Minutes Ranking

Fouls Per 36 Minutes Ranking 2009-10
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
          X