BC still has to make one more trade: Kleiza or Barbosa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC still has to make one more trade: Kleiza or Barbosa

Sounds like BC is committed to rebuilding around the YGZ which I think is good news for the Raps. I think this must have come about recently though (its possible that even the ORL/MIA games sealed it), because his actions over the summer were not really consistent with that (eg. kleiza, DA, Dampier).

But anyway as it stands now, there is simply a logjam at the wings, and he has to make another trade:

DD/Weems/Kleiza/Barbosa....and thats assuming Peja and Wright are glued to the bench, and Bayless is strictly a PG.

I think logically, one of Kleiza or Barbosa will be traded next. Who do you think it is going to be?

You can make a case for either. Barbosa ability to create has been more valuable so far and with Jack gone gives Raps some backup PG. But now there is redundancy with Bayless. Kleiza gives Raps a bigger SF and a more of a down low scoring threat. Plus you have to consider what other teams will be looking for. I dont think BC will be attached to either, whichever one is the better trade.

If I had to guess on a hunch: I'll guess Barbosa will be the one to go. Just because I think from his years in PHX, a lot of the top contenders know what he can do and will be more interest in him.
    Kleiza
    13.04%
    Barbosa
    17.39%
    neither/somone else
    69.57%

If I had to pick between just Barbosa/Kleiza, I would guess Barbosa.

My primary reasons for this are his age and contract. Once you eliminate Stojakovic & Evans (since their contracts are expiring and will NOT be re-signed), 10 of the 12 Raptors are currently 25 years old or younger - Calderon is 28 and Barbosa is 30. Given the goal of building a good young core of players, Barbosa is the asset more likely to be traded than Kleiza. I like Kleiza's ability to play PF with a smaller lineup on the court and also like the way his skillset differs from the rest of the wings. DeRozan, Weems, Wright, Barbosa & Bayless rely more on speed & athleticism, whereas Kleiza is more of a bull who can both postup and work the perimeter consistently - having wings with contrasting strengths gives Triano more options.

If I were guessing from the entire roster, I would pick Stojakovic #1 and Evans #2, as being the most likely player to be traded next.

Comment

Stojakovic, if we can a pick or a decent player that'd be great.

Comment

If we can somehow get Chris Kaman from Clippers Id do it..

Comment

I think Stojakovic has good trade value, but I would be happy with even a minor move such as flipping one big expiring contract for another, at a position we could actually use. One example that immediately comes to mind would be to trade him to Sacramento for Dalembert, who would be a great backup for Bargnani and give us a defense/rebound-minded alternative at C.

Comment

My pick for player most likely to be traded this season was Barbosa, but that was before the wrist injury. If his injury hinders him at all, I don't think there's any chance he'll be traded. I think he would be great, great trade asset if he were healthy, because I can see a number of contenders wanting him on the team.

I don't see Kleiza being traded unless a good deal comes along. He's got a reasonable contract and he gives the Raptors something they don't have much of.

I agree with CalgaryRapsFan that Peja and Reggie are the most likely to be traded.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

But just moving Stojakovic alone does not address the wing logjam: DD\Weems\Kleiza\Barbosa (and Bayless sort of).

I think BC has only totally commited to this rebuild recently and thus he is still going to clear that up.

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              If I had to pick between just Barbosa/Kleiza, I would guess Barbosa....
              Yeah Kleiza gives them a few things they dont have other wise. But even with Bayless, Barbosa just does what he does better, so I would still say he is more valuable to the Raps. Age I would not think would be much of a factor (doesn't hurt to have one "old guy" around) but contract will of course be a big factor. In the end I dont think it will be completely up to the Raps, they'll have to see whatever best trade they can make.

True, Peja and Evans are probably the most likely to get traded b/c they're expiring contracts.

But I think on top of that, Kleiza or Barbosa will also be gone soon....b/c of the logjam and IMO they were accumulated before this change of heart

Comment

Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
                But just moving Stojakovic alone does not address the wing logjam: DD\Weems\Kleiza\Barbosa (and Bayless sort of).
                If Peja is moved, you've got 7 players, including Wright, for 3 positions. I don't think that's a logjam. Bayless will be the backup PG. Barbosa will share backup PG duties as well as backup the SG position. Kleiza will backup the SF position as well as play some PF. And Wright will get some minutes here and there. I think the Raptors will be fine if the trade Peja.

Hell, the big positions are more logjammed. FOr two positions, you've got Bargnani, Evans, Johnson, Davis, Dorsey and Alabi. That's 6 players for 2 positions. And that doesn't even include Kleiza.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  My pick for player most likely to be traded this season was Barbosa, but that was before the wrist injury. If his injury hinders him at all, I don't think there's any chance he'll be traded. I think he would be great, great trade asset if he were healthy, because I can see a number of contenders wanting him on the team.

I don't see Kleiza being traded unless a good deal comes along. He's got a reasonable contract and he gives the Raptors something they don't have much of.

I agree with CalgaryRapsFan that Peja and Reggie are the most likely to be traded.
                  Yeah assuming Barbosa is healthy I would think a lot of contenders would make a pitch for him. It would probably help all involved, if they got together and decided whether he needs surgury.

But I just dont think Kleiza and Barbosa will both survive the season here together.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    If Peja is moved, you've got 7 players, including Wright, for 3 positions. I don't think that's a logjam. Bayless will be the backup PG. Barbosa will share backup PG duties as well as backup the SG position. Kleiza will backup the SF position as well as play some PF. And Wright will get some minutes here and there. I think the Raptors will be fine if the trade Peja.

Hell, the big positions are more logjammed. FOr two positions, you've got Bargnani, Evans, Johnson, Davis, Dorsey and Alabi. That's 6 players for 2 positions. And that doesn't even include Kleiza.
                    I think ideally you want 3 wings, and 2 pg.

If DD\weems\kleiza are your wings (SG and SF)

Then that leaves Jose\Bayless\Barbosa for PG....which is too much

There's one too many players in that mix IMO.

Comment

For the Bigs, same thing, I think you ideally want 3 bigs. Its uncertain how ready Ed Davis is going to be, so for now I see:

C: Bargs/AJ
                      Pf: Evans/AJ

If Evans gets traded then that would push AJ to starting PF, and Ed Davis would be the 3rd big. But since no one knows how Davis is going to look right now, there isn't the urgency to trade Evans IMO.

Alabi and Dorsey are bench fodder for this season

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        I think Stojakovic has good trade value, but I would be happy with even a minor move such as flipping one big expiring contract for another, at a position we could actually use. One example that immediately comes to mind would be to trade him to Sacramento for Dalembert, who would be a great backup for Bargnani and give us a defense/rebound-minded alternative at C.
                        And also if a certain "employed Team Canada coach" is announcing, Sammy D can strangle him to vent off some steam.

Comment

Neither, they're both BC's boys. I personally like them both. If there's a move to be made, it would be Peja (for obvious reasons) or Reggie, if the right deal comes along. This may never happen but Miami just lost Haslem until February. They may come knocking for Reggie and offer up Chalmers. This may cause people to burn BC's effigy but if you really think about it, the move would be consistent with the team's youth movement. I'm with Buddah in the sense that Reggie is a liability as a member of the starting five. If Reggie gets dealt, Kleiza could move to the 4 position. Peja becomes the 3 off the bench. Something like this (it may even motivate Bargs to go after some rebounds):

PG - Calderon
                          SG - Derozan
                          SF - Weems
                          PF - Kleiza
                          C - Bargnani

2nd unit

PG - Bayless
                          SG - Barbosa
                          SF - Stojakovic / Wright
                          PF - Davis / Dorsey
                          C - Johnson
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

i don think either of em get traded either, y would he do that? Kleiza is someone he juss signed and trading him off shows he failed, unless a magnificent deal comes on kleiza is here to stay, he hasnt even played badly either, also he's not old. Barbosa only has i think this and nex year on his contract, again if u can get somethin great out of him sure but otherwise nah, juss cause your havin some youth movment doesnt mean u have to eliminate everyone above the age 26..... u need some people who have been round awhile, also im pretty sure reggie has an okay shot at bein resigned for a smaller contract at the end if sticks around till then

Comment

I liked our 8 man rotation during the Celtics game and would be fine with continuing that with some minor changes. If we take yesterday's rotation and replace Evans with Davis, Barbs with Bayless, and move Stoicovich we would have a good line up.

Jose
                              DD
                              Weems
                              Davis
                              Bargs

Bayless
                              Amir
                              Klieza

You could start Amir instead of Davis if he's not ready. I'm not sure if our guys could maintain that kind of rotation all season, but you could put in Dorsey and Wright for spot minutes to keep guys fresh. You move Peja, Evans, and Barbs for picks and the like and we are in solid for both this season and next season.
                              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X