Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henry Abbott (the guy who started TrueHoop) confirms raps are the worst team in nba.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Abbott is entitled to his opinion.

but facts are facts. wins say who the best and worst are.

Comment

RR has a way of self regulating opinion regarding the Raptors position in the NBA universe. Does Abbott have a crystal ball about season's end? Not all of us are blue skiers. We follow our team each day. Does he?

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        RR has a way of self regulating opinion regarding the Raptors position in the NBA universe. Does Abbott have a crystal ball about season's end? Not all of us are blue skiers. We follow our team each day. Does he?
        i dont think he's talking about win/loss record only...

he's factoring in the future outlook of the team... young players, cap flex, draft picks.

last season, the nets would be the worst team if it was just based on win/loss. but they had a ton of injuries so it's kind inaccurate to go by just the win/loss record.

Comment

I started listening to espn today some months back but I wish there was another podcast that did basketball because t Ryen Russillo doesnt knows his stuff. the espn football today podcast is much much better than this guys show. As far as henry Abbott is concerned, there are very few people reporting on basketball now a days that I respect their opinion and after listening to him on that podcast I wouldn't put him in the few category

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            HOw can you "confirm" something like that? At this it's point it's simply subjective.

In the words of Indigo Montoya, as written by William Goldman, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
            I was thinking the same thing about the word "confirms". I guess he confirmed someone else's confirmation.

I can confirm however, that I have the largest pe-... nevermind.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
              I don't understand how we're the worst team when we're 5-9 and the Clip are 1-13... Not to mention Jersey, Philly, Wizards, Minny, and Houston have less wins. Hardly.
              +10000000 See, they think we're ALL dum and don't know anything about basketball. Remember, Atlanta sucked, now look...Boston sucked, then what happened?....OKC was gonna take long to get good or make the playoffs, then look....Man, forget these hypnotized fans that believe negative writers, who talk crap, instead of what they see themselves when they watch tv. Stats don't lie, and we're 5-9 and not 1-13, as mentioned. On to the next....
              The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
              Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
              www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
              http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
              http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

The one thing I would say to lend a little bit of weight to Abbott's opinion is that The GM is pushing the fact that with the trade exception and the expiring contracts, that they have some 'currency' to add talent, but as per the article below from CNNSI, expirings and trade exceptions aren't as valuable as people think:

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010...als/?eref=sihp

My biggest fear, as a fan, is that they WON'T do anything with it and blame the new CBA (they are already alluding to it) and then try to sell us on DeRozan/Weems/Bargs/Davis 4some and youth, which just would come woefully short...

Another thing to keep in mind is that while Abbott or other 'insiders' might now watch us that much, I'm pretty sure 20-25 other teams can say that. If he said that Washington was the worst team, people there can shout about JaVall McGee and John Wall. Philly can talk about Evan Turner and Sweet Lou Williams. Clippers have Griffin/Gordon/Bledsoe/Aminu 4some, which right now is miles better than Toronto's. Being the worst team is subjective, because you can make any opinion fit your argument, depending on your criteria. I can make a case that New Orleans is MUCH better than Miami, but realistically, in a 7 game series, I'm taking the Heat. The thing I worry about is the fact that you CAN make a cohesive case that this team is the worst (or at least among the worst) and that's never a good thing....

Comment

Legalize-It wrote: View Post
                  i dont think he's talking about win/loss record only...

he's factoring in the future outlook of the team... young players, cap flex, draft picks.

last season, the nets would be the worst team if it was just based on win/loss. but they had a ton of injuries so it's kind inaccurate to go by just the win/loss record.
                  And neither was I actually. I feel we are in a better spot with cap room, expiring contracts, tpe, draft pks. and possible trades before the end of the year that would have us ahead of say the Cavs, Timberwolves or the Pacers...if we are not already. Not a particularly warm spot but not absolutely last either. I do believe that there are many non professional serious followers of the team in Toronto who would have a much better handle on the state of the Raptors than Mr. Abbott ...is all I am saying.

As an aside I wonder what his opinion was about the Heat coming out of the gate. They just lost to the Pacers 93-77. And all 3 amigos played. Must make that other prognosticator Jeff VG (70+ wins) give his crystal ball another wipe.

Comment

I've watched the Raps play at least 10 games. I know what I saw, and there is no way that the Raps are the worst team. They are very competitive and only played shitty once, against Washington. It is nice to know that someone in Raptors Republic is scouring the internet looking for new and interesting articles and podcasts to yet again slag the Raptors. Way to go!

There are also dozens of posters who actually wish that the Raps are the worst team so they can grab a high draft pick.

And for the record, regardless of injuries, last years Nets were the worst team of this Millennium. Let's revisit how good/bad the Raptors are at the end of the season. As for right now, I'm more interested in seeing our newest members play in the next game.
                    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

If there is a good reason to be hater Abott has it. He is frustrated in what he sees Colangelo doing, which puts him in line with half the people here. Is he over the top? Yes.

The difference between the Raps and other mediocre teams is that the Raps have a fanbase. If you include revenue, team value...dollars made through ad sales, tv deals, tickets, etc and look at the quality of product on the floor in comparison to revenue made -- dudes got a point.

Worst team in the NBA strictly on the floor/court? We could make the playoffs! The East is awful this year! Heck, there are more bad teams than ever in both conferences. But when you include dollars made and the lack of any of that cash ending up on the court (in a good way) his argument becomes strong.

Comment

Forget how the Raps have played lately and look at this teams roster. Is there anyone on it that makes you think hey he's a good player? That is the logic here, that there is no one on the team that is even remotely a superstar wheres even teams that are much worse than us in the standings like LAC and Washington have Griffen and Wall. Bargnani aside,there is no one on this team that would be playing for contender and Bargs wouldn't be starting. I can't think of any other team that can say that.
                        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I just listened to that podcast and it is pretty clear that these guys treat the Raps as an afterthought in this league. It is obvious that BC made this deal to acquire another young (lottery pick) talent, and in the process gave up no players who fit in this team's long term plans. Calderon has outperformed JJ this season, and deserves to be starting. Apparently the main value Jack brings to NO is his friendship with CP3 (sound familiar?) Peja, Banks, and Andersen are included in this deal to make the numbers work, and very possibly none of those players will be playing in TO or NO next season. Bayless will be given a chance to live up to his potential, and if he pans out, this deal will be worth it for the Raps.

It does remain to be seen whether or not Bayless and Ed Davis will help contribute to more wins for the Raps this season, or that maybe this deal will cause the Raps to lose a few more games this season, while perhaps improving the overall picture long term. The way things have been going recently, I have begun to worry (hope?) that this is more like a 30 win team, which might get us a 6th - 10th draft pick, rather than the top 5 pick which would more likely allow TO to draft a potential franchise player. On the other hand, I think that the more wins this team gets this year will be beneficial for the young players' development, as playing for a loser will only get them accustomed to playing for a team with a losing culture.

Comment

these reporters base their analysis on stats, they should be reminded that this is not fantasy league. Chemistry and the efficiency that a team runs their offense and defense sets with the right players to run those sets is what teams should be evaluated by.

Comment

I agree grindhouse. But even with stats, hollinger has the Raps ranked 20th and Stein has them ranked 18th, far from the worst team.
                              Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

These two guys do not even know where Toronto is. They just branded the team as a bad team before the season started. I'm pretty sure they haven't seen a Raptors game this year. This is bad "journalism" if you want to call it.

Comment

Working...
                                X