X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo
    replied
    tbihis wrote: View Post
    i think its based on a lot of factors thats why a team doesnt want a player back, some are quite good but they dont fit the team's system.
    i think Young will be a great fit with the Raps. he seems to be a good pick and roll guy, which is currently the raps are very good at. i think he is a more athletic, smaller version of amir.
    If Young is as good as some think and Philly doesn't want him then wouldn't you think they would trade him between now and the deadline to extend the qualifying offer?

Leave a comment:

• JoePanini
    replied
    Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
    The stats say you're wrong.

http://www.82games.com/1011/10PHI7.HTM#bypos

Check out his production breakdown by position. Not nearly as effective at the 3 as he is at the 4, on both sides of the ball.
    Well he is a better SG as well :P

I guess so, but he can play both positions which can come in handy. Especially because if we don't resign Reggie, Wright and Weems (I hope we re-sign Weems) we will have space at the 3 and 4. With Amir having trouble staying on court, and Ed still quite raw. I think TYoung would be a great fit.

Leave a comment:

• JoePanini
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I didn't realize Young was only 22. As already mentioned, his knock is he is a tweener.

He is a RFA with a qualifying offer of $3.99M.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-10-11

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9167

Personally, I think Green is a legit 3 and if there was a choice I would go with Green. Playing out of position and initially in Durant's and now Durant's and Westbrook's shadow, Green has not shown how good he can be.

Also, OKC just resigned Collison to an extension and they have Ibaka. I think this may be another sign Green's future might not be in OKC.
    I would also take Green over Young. That is if we don't re-sign Weems and Green doesn't ask for too much. If we keep Weems, which I would prefer, I don't think Green would come to play 20 minutes a game. He is a starter, and would probably only consider our offer if we can guarantee a starting spot. Also he might want to go to a contender, or at least a .500% team.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    I didn't realize Young was only 22. As already mentioned, his knock is he is a tweener.

He is a RFA with a qualifying offer of $3.99M.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-10-11

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9167

Personally, I think Green is a legit 3 and if there was a choice I would go with Green. Playing out of position and initially in Durant's and now Durant's and Westbrook's shadow, Green has not shown how good he can be.

Also, OKC just resigned Collison to an extension and they have Ibaka. I think this may be another sign Green's future might not be in OKC.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    tbihis wrote: View Post
    i think its based on a lot of factors thats why a team doesnt want a player back, some are quite good but they dont fit the team's system.
    i think Young will be a great fit with the Raps. he seems to be a good pick and roll guy, which is currently the raps are very good at. i think he is a more athletic, smaller version of amir.
    More athletic than Amir?

Not unless you discount the ability to run fast and far as non-athletic abilities.

Johnson competed very successfully in both basketball and track, sprinting and long distance running in high school.

Amir is probably the best in the league in getting up and down court both on offense and defense.

Yes Young is a better ball handler and maybe able to jump hirer though I am not sure about that.

However he can't run anywhere near as good as Amir can period.

Leave a comment:

• TheGloveinRapsUniform
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Philly brass got to see him every day in practice. They chose not to extend his contract with all that experience of watching him play. That's a big statement coming from the experts on Thaddeus Young, the fact that they're not willing to commit to a deal starting at $4M/yr.

EDIT: Wait a second. They have first crack at him with a qualifying offer of $4M. They don't need to make a call until the summer... I think.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Philly brass got to see him every day in practice. They chose not to extend his contract with all that experience of watching him play. That's a big statement coming from the experts on Thaddeus Young, the fact that they're not willing to commit to a deal starting at $4M/yr.

EDIT: Wait a second. They have first crack at him with a qualifying offer of $4M. They don't need to make a call until the summer... I think.
    I believe that they will have until June 30th to extend a QO that would most likely fall under the current CBA rules.

If they don't extend a QO by June 30th under the current CBA rules Young would become a free agent. However, under the new CBA we don't know what the rules will be and when the league will even play next after this season if no new CBA is signed by June 30th.

What we need on this forum is a "Free Agent Thread" just like there is a "Trade Proposal Thread"

Leave a comment:

• Nine New Faces
    replied
    JoePanini wrote: View Post
    He is a better 3 than a 4.
    The stats say you're wrong.

http://www.82games.com/1011/10PHI7.HTM#bypos

Check out his production breakdown by position. Not nearly as effective at the 3 as he is at the 4, on both sides of the ball.
    Last edited by Nine New Faces; Tue Nov 23, 2010, 02:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied

Last edited by Apollo; Tue Nov 23, 2010, 02:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Like others he has always stood out with his fluid offense whenever he plays the Raps. He is a matchup problem because of his versatility and is not unlike Green (who is a starter playing the 4 outofposition I think and has leadership intangibles). I dont know about Young's defense though and this should always be a primary consideration in my view for any acquisition.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    JoePanini wrote: View Post
    In the summer he will be

And I'm hoping there will be a season
    We have no idea what the new CBA rules will be and when they take take affect, so we have no idea of what Young's availability via free agency will be for the next season that the NBA plays whenever that might be.

If no new CBA is reached by June 30th there will most likely be no free agent signings until a new CBA is signed because free agent signings after June 30th will fall under the new CBA rules. Young's status visa via free agency will not be determined until after the new CBA is signed.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Nov 23, 2010, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JoePanini
    replied
    jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    Yeah, I was advocating for Thaddeus Young awhile back. I think he'd be great on the Raps. I heard though one reason why the 6ers didn't extend him was because he was looking for a ton of cash. Not sure if that's true or what, but he probably was looking for more than what Philly was willing to spend. Which, given the huge contracts of Iguodala and Brand, could make some sense - Philly's trying to avoid overpaying at this point. BC, on the other hand, is all about overpaying, so you never know. Could happen. He's one of the better upcoming FA's, that's for sure.
    Well if he's asking for a ton of money I would rather we don't sign him. But I think up till $5M a year seems reasonable. Even less would be better.

Leave a comment:

• JoePanini
    replied
    Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
    I'm not sold on Young, at least not as a good fit with the Raps. Like Jeff Green and Josh Smith, he's far more effective as an undersized 4 that relies on athleticism and speed than as a big 3. He doesn't have a great outside shot, doesn't penetrate well from the perimeter, and he's going to struggle guarding quick 3s. He's a bit like Kleiza in that respect, only without he 3 point shot. If the team wasn't already stacked at the 4 spot I'd say go for it, but where is he going to get the minutes he needs to develop?
    He is a lot more athletic than Kleiza. In his sophomore year he averaged 16 points a game, just a couple less than Iguodala. He is a better 3 than a 4. I think if we can get him for $3-5M for a couple seasons it would be a great deal

Leave a comment:

• JoePanini
    replied
    Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    I didn't know that Young was a free agent.

I thought I saw him playing against the Raptors the other night?

2011-12, there might not even be a season
    In the summer he will be

And I'm hoping there will be a season

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    I didn't know that Young was a free agent.

I thought I saw him playing against the Raptors the other night?

2011-12, there might not even be a season

Leave a comment:

Working...
X