Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odds of Amir Johnson Ever Becoming A Starter are Pretty Darn Low To Say The Least.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Odds of Amir Johnson Ever Becoming A Starter are Pretty Darn Low To Say The Least.

    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  • #2
    Yes I think Davis can contribute immediately. Also, I think this is a reason why we should try and get Thompson or sign TYoung in the summer. Reggie shouldn't be re-signed, and with Amir having foul problems, and Ed being quite raw. Having another young back-up would do us no harm. Anyways, Davis will be really great for this team. Can't wait for him to come back.

    I hope not, Ed is 6-10 225 lbs and Amir is 6'9 210 lbs. Both are PF. But it really depends on who they will be matched-up with. They would be pretty athletic, and would be our best defensive bigman combo...

    Yes, I think. If he learns to use his hands less, or play with less contact whilst staying aggressive...

    Comment


    • #3
      JoePanini wrote: View Post
      Yes I think Davis can contribute immediately. Also, I think this is a reason why we should try and get Thompson or sign TYoung in the summer. Reggie shouldn't be re-signed, and with Amir having foul problems, and Ed being quite raw. Having another young back-up would do us no harm. Anyways, Davis will be really great for this team. Can't wait for him to come back.

      I hope not, Ed is 6-10 225 lbs and Amir is 6'9 210 lbs. Both are PF. But it really depends on who they will be matched-up with. They would be pretty athletic, and would be our best defensive bigman combo...

      Yes, I think. If he learns to use his hands less, or play with less contact whilst staying aggressive...
      Johnson is not 6'9' and 210 pounds. Those were his numbers when he was drafted at age 18.

      He is now about 6'11 and about 235 pounds which is probably a couple of inches shorter than Camby who is close to 7'1" or better? (a lot of players don't like to be identified as 7 footers) and not much heavier than Johnson.

      He said he weighted 237 when asked during the pre-season.

      You can Google Amir Johnson 6'11" and you will find a number of links stating this including player profile links.

      Also if you can find pictures of Johnson standing next to Rasheed Wallace, Sheed is only slightly taller. Sheed was listed at 6'11" but he was definitely 7' or more. He was one of those players that did not like to be identified as a 7 footer.
      Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Nov 23, 2010, 12:37 PM.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

      Memories some so sweet, indeed

      Larger Photo of the avatar



      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

      Comment


      • #4
        Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        Johnson is not 6'9' and 210 pounds. Those were his numbers when he was drafted at age 18.

        He is now about 6'11 and about 235 pounds which is probably a couple of inches shorter than Camby who is close to 7'1" or better? (a lot of players don't like to be identified as 7 footers) and not much heavier than Johnson.

        He said he weighted 237 when asked during the pre-season.

        You can Google Amir Johnson 6'11" and you will find a number of links stating this including player profile links.

        Also if you can find pictures of Johnson standing next to Rasheed Wallace, Sheed is only slightly taller. Sheed was listed at 6'11" but he was definitely 7' or more. He was one of those players that did not like to be identified as a 7 footer.
        Didn't know that. Do you think he can play center? I think he would be a more capable center than Bosh was though.

        Comment


        • #5
          JoePanini wrote: View Post
          Didn't know that. Do you think he can play center? I think he would be a more capable center than Bosh was though.
          He is playing some center right now.

          I can't wait for him and Davis to be on the court together.

          Make it so.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

          Memories some so sweet, indeed

          Larger Photo of the avatar



          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

          Comment


          • #6
            last 5 games

            vs MIA: 5 PF - 25 min - L
            vs WAS: 0 PF - 18 min - L
            vs PHI: 6 PF - 14 min - W (embarrassing)
            vs HOU: 2 PF - 27 min - W
            vs BOS: 5 PF - 24 min - W

            If he can stay on 3,5 / 4 he could be a real factor in this team. what do you think?
            Last edited by teoserio; Tue Nov 23, 2010, 01:03 PM. Reason: added W/L
            Let's go Raptors!

            Comment


            • #7
              i dunno he's been playing quite well. his 1 on 1 and help defense is probably the best on the team.
              @sweatpantsjer

              Comment


              • #8
                These are Johnson's current rankings among all NBA playing who are currently playing 25 or less mpg and at least 200 minutes for the season

                Category--------Season number-Rank
                --------------------------------------
                Total Win Shares-----1.4---------1st - On a pace for 8.4 total Win Shares for the season - Bosh had 9.6 for the 09-10 season
                Offensive Rating------136--------1st
                True Shooting %-----.683--------1st
                Offensive RPG---------3.0--------2nd
                PER------------------21.5--------2nd
                Total RPG-------------5.5--------13th
                Points Per Game-------9.1--------14th
                Usage Rating %-------16.6--------23rd - Usage % is up from last season
                Def Rating-----------105---------28th tied

                I think his Defensive Rating his hurt by playing on a team that is currently 21st in points allowed per game.

                These numbers are starting to show that even though Johnson is a pretty good defender that for the minutes he plays he is one of the better offensive players in the league coming off of the bench right now even though his Usage% is still a bit low. I would like to see it get up to around 18% - 20% which could very well move him into the top 10 in Points Per Game of all players in the league averaging 25 minutes per game or less or essentially bench players.

                stats
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                Memories some so sweet, indeed

                Larger Photo of the avatar



                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I do not say this as an insult to Johnson, but given his versatility and hustle I want him to keep coming off the bench.

                  Remember, I'm not knocking the guy. You need depth to win, especially with big men due to foul issues (why did ORL spend $40M to keep Gortat as the backup?).

                  I think the Raptors already have depth and a phenomenal bench players. They need some legitimate starters IMO.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I do not say this as an insult to Johnson, but given his versatility and hustle I want him to keep coming off the bench.

                    Remember, I'm not knocking the guy. You need depth to win, especially with big men due to foul issues (why did ORL spend $40M to keep Gortat as the backup?).

                    I think the Raptors already have depth and a phenomenal bench players. They need some legitimate starters IMO.
                    I think this is best as well. Although he does need to cut down on his fouls, his energy off the bench would out weigh his production as a starter. He can back up both the 4 and 5 spots and plays with out needing plays run for him, great bench player who can earn big minutes and a regular spot in the rotation (the spot he has, the minutes needs work)
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      Johnson is averaging 6.7 fouls per 36 minutes and playing 19.8 mpg.

                      There have only been 8 players in the history of the NBA who have averaged 6.7 fouls or more per 36 minutes in a single season and played more than 19.8 mpg.

                      The most mpg that any player in the NBA has ever averaged per game in a single season while averaging 6.7 or more fouls per 36 minutes is 23.7 mpg.

                      It has been done once

                      In 1985-86 Chocolate Thunder averaged 6.8 fouls per 36 minutes and 23.7 mpg.

                      So it seems that unless Johnson can lower his foul rate (his career rate is 6.5) he is close to being maxed out in his mpg which is great news for Ed Davis.
                      Great post. I'll pick out this section because it sums up what I was saying leading into free agency, only you took it a step further here. Amir has to figure out how to be effective while keeping his body in check. Some of the things he gets called for are really sloppy plays and I feel because of that I think he's "conditioned" the officials to pay close attention to him. As a result he now gets called for some weak assed stuff that you wouldn't even see a guy like Reggie Evans getting hit with. He needs to earn the respect of the officials by playing controlled ball.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Buddhafan says: "oh Amir. OH AMIR. You are so big and strong. No, he's not a young nubile 210, he's 235 pounds of rippling manhood. Here's his stats:

                        glistening pecs: Team Rank 1st
                        Long lean legs: Team Rank 1st
                        Sculpted Biceps: Team Rank 1st
                        General Handsomeness: Team Rank 1st

                        As the stats have shown, Amir is quite a man and deserves the title of captain of my heart."

                        Sorry Buddha, couldn't resist. You do have quite the man crush.
                        Last edited by RaptorDan; Tue Nov 23, 2010, 06:43 PM.
                        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X