The Case for Reggie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Case for Reggie

He isn't the most polished offensive player. He lacks size for his position. His expiring contract will be a valuable trading asset. I can see why people would want to see him go.

I don't know. I kinda love Reggie. As a fan of the raptors and game sometimes you grow close and love some of these players for what they bring. I don't want to see him traded. He has the same qualities of Oak. Oh hell yeah he does. Not at the same level but the comparison is there. Vocal in the locker room, taking care of business on the boards, and brings an infectious amount of effort that must have been the catalyst for the effort we have seen from the whole team. Imagine if 'Il Meatball' catches some of that fever? That 'Garnett' factor where the team feeds off the energy of that one player. We were successful with that character in our mix.

And of course he entertains me all the while pushing the team in a positive direction!

He brings excitement and reasons to cheer as he climbs over bigger guys or scrambles to dig up that big O rebound. How can you not love him?

I vote keep.

*disclaimer: Of course at a 'fair' (not favorable) price since his new contract is coming up and if his play stays as is.

imaginelino wrote: View Post
    He isn't the most polished offensive player. He lacks size for his position. His expiring contract will be a valuable trading asset. I can see why people would want to see him go.

I don't know. I kinda love Reggie. As a fan of the raptors and game sometimes you grow close and love some of these players for what they bring. I don't want to see him traded. He has the same qualities of Oak. Oh hell yeah he does. Not at the same level but the comparison is there. Vocal in the locker room, taking care of business on the boards, and brings an infectious amount of effort that must have been the catalyst for the effort we have seen from the whole team. Imagine if 'Il Meatball' catches some of that fever? That 'Garnett' factor where the team feeds off the energy of that one player. We were successful with that character in our mix.

And of course he entertains me all the while pushing the team in a positive direction!

He brings excitement and reasons to cheer as he climbs over bigger guys or scrambles to dig up that big O rebound. How can you not love him?

I vote keep.

*disclaimer: Of course at a 'fair' (not favorable) price since his new contract is coming up and if his play stays as is.
    i like reggie. i dont love him LOL

reggie isnt anywere near the same type of player oak was though.

oak had a more polished offensive game & wasnt known as a hustle energy type player more of a very physical rebounder & defender with a good mid range jumper (kinda like a Rasheed Wallace with less range & more muscle). he was very vocal & had a hard nosed i dont give a shit who u are type of attitude. in my opinion oak was the main reason VC was soo agressive attacking the rim in his younger raptor days.oak used to rip VC for not playing hard
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Tue Nov 23, 2010, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Just from an entertainment perspective, I think Reggie makes watching the game more enjoyable. His hustle and positive energy are contagious.
      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Reggie is fun to watch, I think we keep him since up until the Jack trade he was our second bigest trade chip, and now with the TPE and Peja's contract, we have 3 big trade asests.
        What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

I think this forum should come up with a definitive stance towards reggie evans' tenure on the raptors team. many times re-iterated, i will say it again: trading evans now or anytime soon would be a cardinal mistake for the team. just think of it: if evans was traded earlier this season, you take away all of his offensive and defensive rebounds, how much would it take the complexion and outcome of the games we played so far? would the raptors' record be at 5:9 or, would it be at 2: 12? unfortunately, i do not see another comparable rebounder and defender on this team. the closest next would be amir johnson, but his rebounding is still far behind the one of reggie's.

Comment

database_666 wrote: View Post
            I think this forum should come up with a definitive stance towards reggie evans' tenure on the raptors team. many times re-iterated, i will say it again: trading evans now or anytime soon would be a cardinal mistake for the team. just think of it: if evans was traded earlier this season, you take away all of his offensive and defensive rebounds, how much would it take the complexion and outcome of the games we played so far? would the raptors' record be at 5:9 or, would it be at 2: 12? unfortunately, i do not see another comparable rebounder and defender on this team. the closest next would be amir johnson, but his rebounding is still far behind the one of reggie's.
            Heh database I think your points are broken

The Raptors are outscored by 19.1 Points per 100 Possessions when he is on the court.

That is the worst on the team, Bargnani is slightly not as bad

Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Nov 24, 2010, 02:31 PM.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
              Heh database I think your points are broken

The Raptors are outscored by 19.1 Points per 100 Possessions when he is on the court.

That is the worst on the team, Bargnani is slightly not as bad

thank you for the quote, those are amazing facts, if they are verified. again, the numbers might be deceiving, but, i do not think that anyone could deny that evans is by far the leading rebounder on this team, and the last i heard, 4th overall in nba in the season so far. good point, good argument - i do not think that raptors would have a suitable substitution for evans' production, even if ed davis was ready to go, and amir increased his rebounding productivity and decreased his fouling.

Comment

thank you for the quote, those are amazing facts, if they are verified. again, the numbers might be deceiving, but, i do not think that anyone could deny that evans is by far the leading rebounder on this team, and the last i heard, 4th overall in nba in the season so far. good point, good argument - i do not think that raptors would have a suitable substitution for evans' production, even if ed davis was ready to go, and amir increased his rebounding productivity and decreased his fouling.
                How are the numbers deceiving?

What is deceiving are his rebounds

Yes he grabs rebounds while he is on the court, but the Raptors are outscored horribly when he is on the court and then outscore their opponents when is not on the court. That is what counts.
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

the numbers are deceiving because they apply to the intervals of the game when evans played only, numbers were not prorated for the entire duration of the game, and only then, as a percentage, compared to the other players on the roster. if the bottom line is a game won as opposed to a game lost, then, i would suggest to entertain these stats:
                  - this season, in the games that raptors won, evans averaged 29 minutes on the court
                  - this season, in the games that raptors lost, evans averaged 26 minutes on the court
                  source: http://realgm.sportsdirectinc.com/ba...yer543681.html
                  compared to evans, bargnani's stats are as follows:
                  - this season, in the games that raptors won, bargnani averaged 36 minutes on the court
                  - this season, in the games that raptors lost, bargnani averaged 33 minutes on the court
                  source: http://realgm.sportsdirectinc.com/ba...yer732486.html
                  these numbers might also stake a claim or two, but it would be unreasonable to consider them as the sole source for an intelligent analysis. even without the stats, it is obvious that evans is a good rebounder with poor offensive skills, while bargnani is an exact opposite - a solid perimeter offensive player, with an obvious and glaring deficiency in his rebounding and defense in general.

Comment

the numbers are deceiving because they apply to the intervals of the game when evans played only, numbers were not prorated for the entire duration of the game, and only then, as a percentage, compared to the other players on the roster. if the bottom line is a game won as opposed to a game lost, then, i would suggest to entertain these stats:
                    - this season, in the games that raptors won, evans averaged 29 minutes on the court
                    - this season, in the games that raptors lost, evans averaged 26 minutes on the court
                    source: http://realgm.sportsdirectinc.com/ba...yer543681.html
                    compared to evans, bargnani's stats are as follows:
                    - this season, in the games that raptors won, bargnani averaged 36 minutes on the court
                    - this season, in the games that raptors lost, bargnani averaged 33 minutes on the court
                    source: http://realgm.sportsdirectinc.com/ba...yer732486.html
                    these numbers might also stake a claim or two, but it would be unreasonable to consider them as the sole source for an intelligent analysis. even without the stats, it is obvious that evans is a good rebounder with poor offensive skills, while bargnani is an exact opposite - a solid perimeter offensive player, with an obvious and glaring deficiency in his rebounding and defense in general.
                    Go back and look to my second last post above to see how the -19.1 is compiled.

The -19.1 Points Per 100 Possessions consists of two numbers

-12.8 when Reggie is on the court
                    +6.3 when Reggie is off the court
                    --------------------------
                    -19.1 differential

The Raptors actually outscore their opponents by 6.3 Points Per 100 Possessions when Evans is off the court.

Last response on this thread.

Its all yours
                    Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Nov 24, 2010, 04:17 PM.

Comment

You can say whatever about Reggie's offense, or even defense, but one thing's for sure- I would love to have him on my team. His hustle is very infectious, a d we really need that right now. Talent's not gonna get us anywhere. Only when we got everyone working hard will we be able to win. And Reggie's a very big factor in that. You can't measure in stats how much he inspires his teammates by leading by example.

Now Ed Davis could certainly be much better at every aspect of the game than Reggie, by we don't know that for certain yet. And even if he is I still wouldn't let Reggie go. Not unless there's significant talent coming back.

Comment

I'd say we end up keeping him. Toronto has been waiting for another JYD and I think BC realizes that. Between Davis and Amir, they are well capable of backing up the Center position, and both are solid offensively as well; so I could see Kleiza losing out before we give away Reggies minutes, in my oppinion.

And despite the numbers, I think Kleiza has been finding his way back into NBA form the perfect way. Not at all to the detriment of the team.

Comment

I like Reggie more and more each game, but there is no room for him. I'm fine with not trading him, but when Ed is healthy. We will have too many PFs. Kleiza, Johnson, Davis and Dorsey are all younger than Reggie.

Comment

Working...
                          X