They Can't Afford To Trade Reggie Evans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shantz wrote: View Post
    As important as he is to the Raptors this year, history seems to say that he will not be this good in the years to come.
    Are we letting a sentimental attachment to Reggie cloud judgement on this one? I have been amazed by what he has been doing and have absolutely loved it. The rate that he is grabbing boards and the problems that he is causing (he went one on four last night at one point and the only reason he did not get the ball was because two players held him down). As important as he is to the Raptors this year, history seems to say that he will not be this good in the years to come.
    He's 30 year old, which is the prime of many players' careers. He's not overly athletic. He beat guys with his mind. That all tells me that even when his numbers drop he's still going to be highly effective and for many years to come. Like I said earlier "he needs to stay long term until the kids don't need the support of a seasoned vet who can make an impact when cold, when playing a minute, when playing 40 minutes and everything in between." Of course he can't keep up his current numbers, he's doing it now because of the current situation but you're missing the point. This team isn't going to win anything ever unless they have guys like this doing the dirty work off the bench and filling in at times in the starting five. He's exactly to type of guy that the Rockets team is filled with and they always competed even with both their stars out long term in the past. You can't win the ring without guys doing the dirty work and I see no legit taker in Toronto outside of Reggie Evans. He's a large part of the reason why they're winning right now. He's pulling the rest of the guys forward. They can't sit back when there's a guy like him out there getting dirty, busting his ass and firing up the crowd. It's irresistible and I think highly infectious. He's this team's wake up call every time he checks in.

If we can get a young player and/or a draft pick for this year in return for Reggie, I think we should take it.
    What kind of player? I can name you dozens of young players who aren't going to make an impact for the Raptors. My question to you would be why on earth would a team trade a good young player and/or a 1st rounder for Reggie Evans? Most teams who would be looking at him would be seeking out the cap relief. Most teams seeking out cap relief are rebuilding teams and most rebuilding teams are looking for good young players and draft picks. No, what they'll get for Reggie is an overpaid, middle of the road player who's team is looking to rid themselves of because they realize he isn't going to help them win. Sorry, I've seen dozens of them enter Toronto to much fan fare only to leave with a whimper. I personally don't want to be subjected to that anymore.

ceez wrote: View Post
    if davis is half the rebounder they say he's going to be and alabi progresses enough to be a solid bench guy then i don't see the need for reggie. don't get me wrong, i love what he's been doing and his energy but if we can flip him for a bigger piece of the puzzle then awesome. the whole contract year thing scares me, too.
    That's a lot of ifs to consider about way down the road. The only problem with that is the Raptors need to decide now... Well very soon anyway.
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Nov 25, 2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

i think that having Peja's huge expiring contract kinda takes away the need to include reggie in any trade negotiations. unless of course the deal is a no brainer(paul,carmelo etc.) hes been kinda stealing rebounds from team mates at times but i cant arguee with the work ethic, hes def. been the leader of this team soo far...im happy hes still here in T.O

Thank You MJ!

if it wasnt for you id be forced to watch JJ run the point on a very disapointing Raptor team, instead im watching very entertaining BBALL & were actually winning!

Kudos to Jose for turning his fortunes around, he has always givin everything to this team, alot of times the last couple of seasons in wasnt enough but he always gave it 100%
      again Thank You MJ

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
        i think that having Peja's huge expiring contract kinda takes away the need to include reggie in any trade negotiations. unless of course the deal is a no brainer(paul,carmelo etc.) hes been kinda stealing rebounds from team mates at times but i cant arguee with the work ethic, hes def. been the leader of this team soo far...im happy hes still here in T.O

Thank You MJ!

if it wasnt for you id be forced to watch JJ run the point on a very disapointing Raptor team, instead im watching very entertaining BBALL & were actually winning!

Kudos to Jose for turning his fortunes around, he has always givin everything to this team, alot of times the last couple of seasons in wasnt enough but he always gave it 100%
        again Thank You MJ
        At this point I don't see the Raptors in a the foreseeable future spending big bucks on a free agent.

They now have nine players on their roster 25 and under.

They are going young and BC will continue to look for very good young players to draft or steal in a trade like he has done with Bayless, Johnson and Weems.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          At this point I don't see the Raptors in a the foreseeable future spending big bucks on a free agent.

They now have nine players on their roster 25 and under.

They are going young and BC will continue to look for very good young players to draft or steal in a trade like he has done with Bayless, Johnson and Weems.
          u could be right but i think it would be extreamlly difficult for BC to not consider players of the caliber of Paul, Carmelo,D.Howard,Durant. i doubt well ever see them here but i bet u if BC had the chance hed trade his mother for any of those guys LOL

on a side note D.Howard would be great next to Bargs, thed compliment each other beautifully. MAKE IT HAPPEN BC!
          Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Thu Nov 25, 2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

u could be right but i think it would be extreamlly difficult for BC to not consider players of the caliber of Paul, Carmelo,D.Howard,Durant. i doubt well ever see them here but i bet u if BC had the chance hed trade his mother for any of those guys LOL

on a side note D.Howard would be great next to Bargs, thed compliment each other beautifully. MAKE IT HAPPEN BC!
            D. Howard makes any big look good, remember Turkoglu?
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

D. Howard makes any big look good, remember Turkoglu?
              Bigs that spread the floor ya.. & bargs would fit that better than Turkeydoodoo LOL. if there was ever a more perfect match for a front court in the NBA right now ive yet to see it.
              Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Thu Nov 25, 2010, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Bigs that spread the floor ya.. & bargs would fit that better than Turkeydoodoo LOL. if there was ever a more perfect match for a front court in the NBA right now ive yet to see it.
                Bargs plays better when he plays in the paint then when he stands outside the arc and chucks the ball.

In addition, Bargs can absolutely not defend anyone away from the basket, though he does get lucky once in a while trying to do it.

Bargnani's best game is when he plays most of the time within 15 feet of the basket. His game also is scoring not defense or rebounding.

Right now Howard has become the best low post threat in the NBA, being able to score with almost as many moves down low as Pau does.

So Bargnani would be restricted to shooting three's. I would rather have M. Pietrus or M. Barnes out there alongside Howard than Bargnani because they can both shoot the three plus they can defend the wing which Bargnani can't.

Bargnani is best utilized as a low post player occasionally taking mid-range jumpers and stepping outside the three point arc.

No room for Howard and Bargnani is the paint on the same team.

Come to think of it I am not so sure that Howard would make Bargnani look good.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Bargs plays better when he plays in the paint then when he stands outside the arc and chucks the ball.

In addition, Bargs can absolutely not defend anyone away from the basket, though he does get lucky once in a while trying to do it.

Bargnani's best game is when he plays most of the time within 15 feet of the basket. His game also is scoring not defense or rebounding.

Right now Howard has become the best low post threat in the NBA, being able to score with almost as many moves down low as Pau does.

So Bargnani would be restricted to shooting three's. I would rather have M. Pietrus or M. Barnes out there alongside Howard than Bargnani because they can both shoot the three plus they can defend the wing which Bargnani can't.

Bargnani is best utilized as a low post player occasionally taking mid-range jumpers and stepping outside the three point arc.

No room for Howard and Bargnani is the paint on the same team.

Come to think of it I am not so sure that Howard would make Bargnani look good.

Just my opinion.
                  first of all howard has no were near the post game as Gasol, Howards great rolling to basket for dunks.

bargs wouldnt have to be parked behind the ark to spread the floor & he could still play his game with howard there. just the threat of bargs shooting would be enough to clear some room for superman to dominate the paint & vice versa..

second, peitrus & barnes are good back up SF but would be horribly exposed at the 4...

bargs defencive liabilities & lack of rebounding are well documented soo i cant arguee with that but who else would be better next to him then the most dominant rebounder & defender in the league. D.Howard makes getting 20 rebounds look soo easy too..

defending the 3 point line isnt the responsability of the PF or C anyway....its defending the paint...
                  Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Thu Nov 25, 2010, 04:09 PM.

Comment

i think that having Peja's huge expiring contract kinda takes away the need to include reggie in any trade negotiations.
                    Excellent point. At this point I could really see them letting Reggie and Peja expire, taking the TPE to the draft and working something out using their flexibility before the CBA runs out. Maybe they move up? Maybe they add a third 1st round draft choice, who knows?

Comment

first of all howard has no were near the post game as Gasol, Howards great rolling to basket for dunks.

bargs wouldnt have to be parked behind the ark to spread the floor & he could still play his game with howard there. just the threat of bargs shooting would be enough to clear some room for superman to dominate the paint & vice versa..

second, peitrus & barnes are good back up SF but would be horribly exposed at the 4...

bargs defencive liabilities & lack of rebounding are well documented soo i cant arguee with that but who else would be better next to him then the most dominant rebounder & defender in the league. D.Howard makes getting 20 rebounds look soo easy too..

defending the 3 point line isnt the responsability of the PF or C anyway....its defending the paint...
                      Regarding Howard's offense. It has significantly improved. He is now making bank shots from either side, driving to the basket showing very good footwork and yesterday he even made a left, yes left handed hook in the lane, just like Pau. All of his work during the summer is paying off.

Bargnani can't defend anyone more than 10 feet from the basket.

Bargs is just not great a three point shooter. Why do think Triano has him playing in the low post? If Bargs could shoot 40% -45% which is probably about the minimum in today's game to qualify as a good three point shooter Triano would have shooting a lot more three ball shots.

Thankfully for the Raptors Bargnani agrees and is working hard on improving his post moves and scoring.
                      Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu Nov 25, 2010, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Excellent point. At this point I could really see them letting Reggie and Peja expire, taking the TPE to the draft and working something out using their flexibility before the CBA runs out. Maybe they move up? Maybe they add a third 1st round draft choice, who knows?
                        The pick from Miami is conditional. If the Heat wind up in the lottery, LOL, then the Raptors get cash.

Most likely they will have a mid-range 15 - 20 pick and a 20 - 25 pick; i.e. Miami's.

They could always try and package those for a single pick in the top 10.

Comment

The pick from Miami is conditional. If the Heat wind up in the lottery, LOL, then the Raptors get cash.

Most likely they will have a mid-range 15 - 20 pick and a 20 - 25 pick; i.e. Miami's.

They could always try and package those for a single pick in the top 10.
                          That is what I've been thinking. Between their 2 picks, TPE, and cap space (depending on what is done before trade deadline) the Raps have a lot of options when it comes to trades and draft.

Comment

its just in my dreams i know...but if BC could manage to pull this off id vote for him to be prime minister of canada LOL
                            http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=27qb3yh

Comment

Working...
                            X