DeRozen Weems Kleiza will continue to decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeRozen Weems Kleiza will continue to decline

With Bargniani's emergence as a scorer and Jose @ the point. The last two games offensive set 70% of the time is:

Jose Bargs shot

or

Jose Bargs (back to Jose) Repost to Bargs - Shot.

If he stays hot and consistent they will continue to use wing players (weems Derozen) on Strong side to run ISCO's for Bargs on the weak side.

DeRozens last game with Jack was 42 minutes and last night he was down to 22 mins. He needs touches to get going and playing along side Bargs will impede his growth.

But Bargs is hot! - so short of swapping DeRo him and Kleiza as starters I am not sure what they will do.

INTERESTING:
    Reggie had more shot attempts than DeRozen v Philly
    With Jose as a starter Kleiza ave 3 PPG.
    Last edited by charlz; Thu Nov 25, 2010, 12:43 PM.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

i really wish derozen was more aggressive
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

it's funny because i noticed that; it looked like the Jose-Bosh days, but i thought i was going crazy.
      i guess if you guys did too, i wasn't.
      i dont know if this is good or not, bargs is really hot right now no denying that.

Comment

DeRozan is just as much important to the future as Bargnani. We don't hear all the reasons that go into how PT is handled from game to game. DeRozan will settle down, I think he's psyched himself out a little because of his newly perceived importance to the success of this team. I still think this will be a breakout season for him. He struggled most of his first year at USC when he was tossed a similar role but near the end of the season it all came together and he carried them far further than anyone could have guessed that year. He played him mind out in the tourneys and I'm sure it landed him in the position to be taken high in the draft.

Comment

I think there is a big factor which people are overlooking, and that is the departure of Jack.

Dero and Weems seemed to look up to him alot. I noticed in their body language, mostly Dero, that they seem a little "out of it". On the flip side, Amir appears not to give a sh** and is playing awesome.

Comment

I think it's good planning by Triano, to know which matchups should be exploited against each opponent. Against Philly, they had no answer for Bargnani, so why wouldn't they keep feeding him? It worked wonderfully well in several ways: first, Bargnani got Philly in early foul trouble; second, going to him early forced Philly to double-team him and it opened the court up for the rest of the team (at one point the Raps were something like 8-12 from 3-pt range).

Last year I was frustrated how every game was PG passing into Bosh, who would dribble for 10-15 seconds, regardless of the opposition and matchups. Triano has a deep team with no clear go-to guy, which allows him to more effectively focus on particular matchups and gameplan to the Raps advantage.

I expect the wing players to have a much bigger role in the upcoming Boston rematch, since Bargnani doesn't have as advantageous a matchup as he has had the past few games. Look for Bargnani to be used early, then for the wings to be given the green light to attack off the dribble and via good ball movement, once Bargnani has been established.

Comment

Bah, if that's the case it's something they'll get over quickly. We're talking about grown men.

Comment

It does sometimes seem that the Jose-Bosh connection is slowly becoming the Jose-Bargs connection, but what you dont see is that Derozan - 1 out of 5, Weems - 3 out of 8, Kleiza - 2 out of 5. If im the PG and im seeing that shots are not falling for these guys, im giving it to the guy who's hot. and its not like Derozan is asking for the ball anyways, he seems to be standing in the corner waiting for a pass or an alley-oop. he needs to be more aggressive.

Comment

Good point. A good QB will give you a chance each game to make something happen but if you're dropping easy balls on 3rd and 10, you're done son.

Comment

The team as as whole is still gelling. Right now, the defensive intensity needs to continue. This team has held the opponents in its 3 of it 4 victories under a hundred and that is a stat that is FAR MORE important right now than playing time and touches.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

You are reading it in the opposite way.

Because DD shot was not fallin' they keep going to AB, not the opposite.

And everybody know that DD is needed out of his slump in order to succeed

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Good point. A good QB will give you a chance each game to make something happen but if you're dropping easy balls on 3rd and 10, you're done son.
                        People have to realize that most of our offence is run by plays that Triano designed, so it's not like Jose CHOOSES to feed Barney every single time, it's the coach who makes the decision.

At the end of the day you will also see plays run specifically for the wing players, the most common one that actually worked last night was with Barbosa going around the screen and into the baseline, DD and sonny didn't have those chances last night cuz they were shutdown by philly's D.

Comment

ska wrote: View Post
                          You are reading it in the opposite way.

Because DD shot was not fallin' they keep going to AB, not the opposite.

And everybody know that DD is needed out of his slump in order to succeed
                          i agree. but even if you keep feeding him the ball and he's not doing anything with it then there's no point.
                          right now, the only moves derozan has are:

standing in the corner, makes eye contact with the ball handler, cuts to the basket for an alley
                          drive and spin
                          drive, ball gets knocked loose and he throws both hands in the air plus a loud scream looking for a foul

for somebody as athletic as him, all he has to do is get the ball up top and waive everybody else to go on the weakside. maybe a screen as well but he has to learn to beat his man off the dribble, or get the first step in
                          but for some reason, he doesnt want the attention. he wants to sneak behind everybody and do the oop.

Comment

Until DeRozan can knock down the 15 - 23 footer and three ball with some consistency he may not fare as well playing with a PG like Calderon who can pass.

That is because with Calderon on the floor the nature of the offense changes from when Jack was running the first unit.

Also Bargnani is playing a lot more in the paint on offense. So when you have Bargnani and Evans in the paint so much it gets awfully crowded down there making it difficult for DeRozan to find an open lane to drive to the basket.

DeRozan needs to really work on developing his jump shot big time.
                            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

matt wrote: View Post
                              People have to realize that most of our offence is run by plays that Triano designed, so it's not like Jose CHOOSES to feed Barney every single time, it's the coach who makes the decision.

At the end of the day you will also see plays run specifically for the wing players, the most common one that actually worked last night was with Barbosa going around the screen and into the baseline, DD and sonny didn't have those chances last night cuz they were shutdown by philly's D.
                              i think jose is getting better. he sees the D is too much on Bargs, he dribbles and goes to the other side.
                              Unlike with Bosh before, you can already see Jose going to the direction where bosh is and just throws him the ball and then goes to the weakside. now, you can see him waiting for a return pass incase bargs gets stuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X