Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Raptors purposely tank to get high draft pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    I didn't start this thread and I never said what you said "how many times....."

My comment above that you quoted was in response to the statement that athletes should never tank.

It was a legitimate response to the statement that I quoted.
    Buddha I'm so sorry man, I thought you started this thread. I take back what I said and redirect at the originator of this thread. Sorry bro.

Comment

No tanking.

Remember the year before Boston got the big 3? They tanked, sat Pierece, had the worst record in the league, all in the hopes of securing Greg Oden. Had they got the number 1 pick rather than 5, could you imagine where they would be today?

The Raptors having some cap space, a TPE, young players, multiple 1st round draft picks provides enough flexibility to move up if there is a player they really want.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        As someone who watches many of the games I don't particularly enjoy seeing my team getting annihilated every night. I seen more than my fair share of that pre and post Vince Carter and I don't care to go through it again. Tanking gives a team a higher probability of winning the #1 but it also does a lot of damage. I am totally against it. It's counter productive.
        Right on man

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          What happened to "Hell no"?

Just asking.

Maybe F... No is more emphatic than Hell No. eh
          Truuuuuue...lol.
          The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
          Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
          www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
          http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
          http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Man, it's glad to see alot of NOs in here. makes me believe that we ARE true Raps fans. And lovers of the game of basketball. I can't say how proud I am of this year's roster. No big headedness (is that a word?) in our locker room, with a guy like Reggie keepin' shit on a level. Triano's still 'meh' to me, at times, but I'm still gonna root for him, as he's learning and shit is new for him, too. Overall, ya'll know what I feel about BC, and I still root for keeping him. I see what he's doing and quite frankly, I think he HEARD the fans call for a PROPER change. A change that makes us better, going forward. Be glad that we have a GM that is competitive and doesn't stand pat for too long. Plus, he's always at it...look at the bags under his eyes...lol. We all knew this progress was gonna take time. We're STILL in that time. I'm excited about this season, somewhat because of all the unknowns, being that CB's gone...excited about WHO is gonna be emerging as the face, as the season is STILL early? Where do we place in the east, when it's all said and done, especially after the trade deadline? How will we look, then? With a different looking roster, and with Davis in and maybe Alabi. Great season, folks, and I don't think "tankin" is the answer. Remember, we're supposed to be looking for respect from other teams and players around the league. can you tell the Leafs to go tank, when they're in the dumps? Nope....lol.
            The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
            Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
            www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
            http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
            http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

The Way I see it its a WinWin for us Fans. Either we go to the lottery with a bad record and get a stud, or we surprise everyone and go to the playoffs. THats why I love the begining of the season. Its so full of hope
              What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

NO! Lottery can not fix culture of loosing SEE Clips
                "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

I dont think anyone who is a true fan can bare their team losing ... let alone tanking ...

As a professional basketball player I would hope that thought would have never entered their minds ...

All that being said ...

I am sure most of you would agree that expectations for the Raptors this year were very low, so i'm sure a lot of us here starting looking for positives this season ... and when your team is expected to be bad ... there's not much ... so the draft was the one "possible" bright spot ... that silver lining to a bleak looking future ....

I had made my peace with that ... thinking that the raptors would do poorly (record wise) my only hope was that they play hard and keep the games close ...

Now that the teams future is not looking so bad, I know some people are having trouble letting go of their fantasies of having a top 3-5 pick ... myself included ... but that doesn't mean, in any way, that I am not happy with the Raptors current success ...

My only fear is, it is difficult to sign a star free agent here and drafting may be the only way that we can acquire talent good enough to compete at a high level ...

Jay also mentioned something in his interview that goes against the premise of tanking ...

He said something to the extent of where they are teaching and showing the young players how to play the RIGHT WAY ... and that sometimes winning is the best way to hammer those points across ....

so ...

No! I don't want them to tank ... but i'm watching all the other games hoping that the bottom dwelling teams dont have too low of a record ....

and hopefully Miami just makes the playoffs as the last seed so we can have another respectable draft pick ....

Comment

As one of those "lets get Barnes, Irving people" I'd never, ever advocate tanking (for the reasons others have mentioned). I was just trying to look at the positives when the team was at 2-9.
                    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                      Buddha I'm so sorry man, I thought you started this thread. I take back what I said and redirect at the originator of this thread. Sorry bro.
                      No problem honest mistake, though I am not sure why you would think that I would start a thread like this.

If anything I have generally been one of the positive posters on this forum when it comes to the Raptors chances of having a good season in 10-11 since Bosh left.

Like all fans I have favorites players and non-favorites players but I don't recall ever being down on MLSE, the Raptors, BC or Triano.
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

jdot22 wrote: View Post
                        I dont think anyone who is a true fan can bare their team losing ... let alone tanking ...

As a professional basketball player I would hope that thought would have never entered their minds ...

All that being said ...

I am sure most of you would agree that expectations for the Raptors this year were very low, so i'm sure a lot of us here starting looking for positives this season ... and when your team is expected to be bad ... there's not much ... so the draft was the one "possible" bright spot ... that silver lining to a bleak looking future ....

I had made my peace with that ... thinking that the raptors would do poorly (record wise) my only hope was that they play hard and keep the games close ...

Now that the teams future is not looking so bad, I know some people are having trouble letting go of their fantasies of having a top 3-5 pick ... myself included ... but that doesn't mean, in any way, that I am not happy with the Raptors current success ...

My only fear is, it is difficult to sign a star free agent here and drafting may be the only way that we can acquire talent good enough to compete at a high level ...

Jay also mentioned something in his interview that goes against the premise of tanking ...

He said something to the extent of where they are teaching and showing the young players how to play the RIGHT WAY ... and that sometimes winning is the best way to hammer those points across ....

so ...

No! I don't want them to tank ... but i'm watching all the other games hoping that the bottom dwelling teams dont have too low of a record ....

and hopefully Miami just makes the playoffs as the last seed so we can have another respectable draft pick ....
                        Trades
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Very true ...

What do you think of the idea of them playing Peja heavy mins to showcase his talents and use him as bait to grab a player that better suits our teams needs or who is a better fit for the direction the team is going in? Obviously, Peja's mins would cut into some of the younger players PT ...

Can playing Peja heavy mins (while losing at the same time) be considered as tanking?

If you are sacrificing W's in hopes to get some takers on Peja ... then I would have to consider that a form of "tanking"

Comment

Very true ...

What do you think of the idea of them playing Peja heavy mins to showcase his talents and use him as bait to grab a player that better suits our teams needs or who is a better fit for the direction the team is going in? Obviously, Peja's mins would cut into some of the younger players PT ...

Can playing Peja heavy mins (while losing at the same time) be considered as tanking?

If you are sacrificing W's in hopes to get some takers on Peja ... then I would have to consider that a form of "tanking"
                            I think as long as Peja is a Raptor he will be a situational player not a regular rotation guy.

Comment

Also, I posted this idea in another post ...

Jeff Green anybody?

If the choice was based solely on the fact we would be looking to build for the future of course ...

Also, resigning him might be the difficult part too

Any package we can offer to get him? Would he even fit well?

I heard earlier in the summer that OKC did not extend him ... I might be wrong ...

He is young and comes from a winning culture ... almost made the USA squad this summer ...

If OKC thinks they can make a deep run in the playoffs and needs a rebounder (Evans) or a deadly shooter (Peja) to space the floor then we may have some pieces ...

We all know Evans is doing amazing this year ... He is not only the motor but the heart of this team right now imo ... but do we see him as being part of the team beyond this year?

If not ...

Then do we look to trade him at some point for a young prospect? I just used Jeff Green as an example but I am sure there are better ideas/possibilities everyone else has already thought of ....

Again, I believe if we traded Reggie right now for a younger prospect we would definitely lose more games ... is that tanking?

Myself, I'm torn ... I RESPECT Reggie's workmanlike attitude and I absolutely enjoy watching him outhustle everyone on the court, but at what point do you say ... We need to look beyond this year ... ???
                              Last edited by jdot22; Thu Nov 25, 2010, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Also, I posted this idea in another post ...

Jeff Green anybody?

If the choice was based solely on the fact we would be looking to build for the future of course ...

Also, resigning him might be the difficult part too

Any package we can offer to get him? Would he even fit well?

I heard earlier in the summer that OKC did not extend him ... I might be wrong ...

He is young and comes from a winning culture ... almost made the USA squad this summer ...

If OKC thinks they can make a deep run in the playoffs and needs a rebounder (Evans) or a deadly shooter (Peja) to space the floor then we may have some pieces ...

We all know Evans is doing amazing this year ... He is not only the motor but the heart of this team right now imo ... but do we see him as being part of the team beyond this year?

If not ...

Then do we look to trade him at some point for a young prospect? I just used Jeff Green as an example but I am sure there are better ideas/possibilities everyone else has already thought of ....

Again, I believe if we traded Reggie right now for a younger prospect we would definitely lose more games ... is that tanking?

Myself, I'm torn ... I RESPECT Reggie's workmanlike attitude and I absolutely enjoy watching him outhustle everyone on the court, but at what point do you say ... We need to look beyond this year ... ???
                                Go to the trade forum. I put 2 trades up with the Raptors ending up with Green.

Comment

Working...
                                X