No announcement yet.

Reggie Suffers a Broken Foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I agree with the idea that playing 4 on 5 would only work for a limited time, I have to disagree with those out there who are saying that losing Reggie is a blessing in disguise or that we're better off without him in the starting lineup.
    More than anything else Reggie was bringing the fire to this team. He may not be the best defensive player and he's clearly a liability on the other end despite his offense improving dramatically in the past two week, but Reggie's effort and intensity were infectious. That was what I took away most from the 4 game streak. When Reggie is on the court diving for balls and hustling for rebounds it's an enormous motivation for the team. Beyond that, it's a benchmark for the effort expected for the entire team. Simply put Reggie raised the bar.
    I'm also not enormously keen on Davis being called back. i think they should let him play in Erie. What's the point of bringing him back from injury, possibly too soon. He's probably re-injured and the heavy minutes he'd probably be expected to play would do little more than raise the possibility of being re-injured. Let him play his way back into shape and get his game back before we rush to have him re-join the team to fill in for Reg.
    Bottom line is that this team got significantly worse last night by losing Reggie.

Comment

sunndog wrote: View Post
      While I agree with the idea that playing 4 on 5 would only work for a limited time, I have to disagree with those out there who are saying that losing Reggie is a blessing in disguise or that we're better off without him in the starting lineup.
      More than anything else Reggie was bringing the fire to this team. He may not be the best defensive player and he's clearly a liability on the other end despite his offense improving dramatically in the past two week, but Reggie's effort and intensity were infectious. That was what I took away most from the 4 game streak. When Reggie is on the court diving for balls and hustling for rebounds it's an enormous motivation for the team. Beyond that, it's a benchmark for the effort expected for the entire team. Simply put Reggie raised the bar.
      I'm also not enormously keen on Davis being called back. i think they should let him play in Erie. What's the point of bringing him back from injury, possibly too soon. He's probably re-injured and the heavy minutes he'd probably be expected to play would do little more than raise the possibility of being re-injured. Let him play his way back into shape and get his game back before we rush to have him re-join the team to fill in for Reg.
      Bottom line is that this team got significantly worse last night by losing Reggie.
      i agree.. why rush him & risk him re- injuring himself..the raps sent him were he is so he could be evaluated & get his conditioning back... after that u still have to wonder if hes ready to be thrown to the wolves in the NBA yet... Loosing Reggie was a huge blow to the team even if some here dont think so... & i highly doubt bringing Davis back early is going to help the Raps that much...Let him get to were he needs to be before we start handing the keys to the fort to him.

i think that more NBA teams should utilize the D-League in much the same way the NHL uses the AHL... if a player not quite ready to make the jump then let him develop there game somewere else without hurting the team who drafted them.. too many young players come into the league & have there confidence shattered by high expectations & way tooo much Hype.. they get thrown to the wolves & get picked apart or they just rot on the bench.... of course theres always going to be some that are ready but most arnt & are forced to play against seasoned vets who just abuse the hell out of them for the first few years...some progress & make it but most become fodder....
      Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Sat Nov 27, 2010, 02:53 PM.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
        i agree.. why rush him & risk him re- injuring himself..the raps sent him were he is so he could be evaluated & get his conditioning back... after that u still have to wonder if hes ready to be thrown to the wolves in the NBA yet... Loosing Reggie was a huge blow to the team even if some here dont think so... & i highly doubt bringing Davis back early is going to help the Raps that much...Let him get to were he needs to be before we start handing the keys to the fort to him.

i think that more NBA teams should utilize the D-League in much the same way the NHL uses the AHL... if a player not quite ready to make the jump then let him develop there game somewere else without hurting the team who drafted them.. too many young players come into the league & have there confidence shattered by high expectations & way tooo much Hype.. they get thrown to the wolves & get picked apart or they just rot on the bench.... of course theres always going to be some that are ready but most arnt & are forced to play against seasoned vets who just abuse the hell out of them for the first few years...some progress & make it but most become fodder....
        Just my opinion but I think after Davis and Johnson have played a dozen games on the court together for reasonable amounts of time that Davis and Johnson will be way better on defense than either Bargnani or Reggie and Johnson.

Davis will also be far better on offense then Reggie but of course not nearly as good as Bargnani and Johnson are paired up.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
          rebounding isnt just on the offencive glass. Defencive rebounding leads to your team having the ball on offence... otherwise your team is just going to inbound after every basket scored by the opposition, & if your just going to let the other team score so u get the ball back your goin to loose most every game....
          Right...I get that. My point is that if you're not a very good shooting team (like the Raptors) u better get a lot of offensive rebounds.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
            Just my opinion but I think after Davis and Johnson have played a dozen games on the court together for reasonable amounts of time that Davis and Johnson will be way better on defense than either Bargnani or Reggie and Johnson.

Davis will also be far better on offense then Reggie but of course not nearly as good as Bargnani and Johnson are paired up.
            maybe but i think theres a better chance of Bargs getting traded then comming of the bench.. Johnson's Offence is far from polished aswell, theres always Amirs fool problems too & Davis is a rookie soo i wouldnt expect miracles from the guy.

Comment

Yes your right I had to get that of my chest sorry for the rant !
              It is just that I am so sick of Bargs Bashing.
              He is not this, he can not do that, he should be better doing this, BC should have picked a different player ( that is the funny one
              after a few years have gone by Bargs is actually still getting better , thank the stars for BC).
              Has any one noticed his new favorite trick . first he fakes a charge to the bucket, the player in front is now off guard so he now fakes a 15 ft jumper and up goes Baby Davis , as he is going up Bargs steps into him causing contact from Davis , Davis looked like a rookie I yelled out ROOKIE and jumped up at the baksetball I Q of Bargs which he is using more and more.
              If you get to close to him he will foul you, and he will get the call for two gifts. I love that play.

I think we have him for three more years at $ 10,000,000 ???
              Positive Bargs Lover

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                Right...I get that. My point is that if you're not a very good shooting team (like the Raptors) u better get a lot of offensive rebounds.
                fair enough... i think that the biggest problem though is the insistance on DD & weems starting.. both are slashers & not shooters..basicly our starting lineup consisted of slashers & bangers other then Bargs & jose.. they need to spread the floor for the slashers to score.. id start peja at the 3 & hope it helps DD at the 2 a bit... if it doesnt work then try something else i guess.. maybe go back to Linas if his shooting improves
                Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Sat Nov 27, 2010, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Too bad about Reggie. Glad though this happened now..8 wks makes recovery at end of Jan. and trade deadline is Feb. sometime. So we might still get some return.
                  Surprised though I haven't seen mention of giving Dorsey a whirl. Time to get a feel to see what he can do with some mins. at least until Davis is ready. A mistake will be rushing ED into games as a starter.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    Too bad about Reggie. Glad though this happened now..8 wks makes recovery at end of Jan. and trade deadline is Feb. sometime. So we might still get some return.
                    Surprised though I haven't seen mention of giving Dorsey a whirl. Time to get a feel to see what he can do with some mins. at least until Davis is ready. A mistake will be rushing ED into games as a starter.
                    According to Triano in last nights post game presser when asked about who will replace Evans in the starting lineup, at least one Raptors writer/broadcaster suggested Peja, Triano said that Johnson was next in the pecking order so he would be starting.

My sense of it is that that position is now for Johnson to lose. He will continue to start if can show that he is worthy of it regardless of what Davis does. If Davis plays well and Davis and Johnson play well and well together then look for BC to start considering offers for Bargnani.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

sunndog wrote: View Post
                      I don't agree here that the loss will be felt on the fire driven side since we are trying to develop the younger players they need to draw from the example reggie has already set. He will NOT be around forever and if these guys cannot play with fire after seeing the effects of it by now then they are not meant to play here if Toronto wants to build a winner. They are not significantly worse if they develop their own fire: they are better. If they are worse and have no fire they are doomed as players in this league.

Comment

The loss of our most tradable asset and maybe even the end of a career

What a shame this injury is for both Reggie and the Raps.

For Reggie, his monster rebounding stats, expiring contract and reputation as a consummate professional were certainly going to solicit trade offers from any number of playoff/title contending teams, which means he was likely going to be traded by the trade deadline and be playing for a playoff team this spring - and a new multiyear contract this summer (lockout notwithstanding). But this injury certainly diminishes much of his trade value now, as well as all of his leverage in any forthcoming contract negotiations - especially since he missed the first 50+ games last season due to a somewhat similar foot injury,

For the Raps, we would have definitely acquired a couple of decent players and/or draft picks to help the team build itself back into a contender.

Hopefully Reggie is able to recover quickly, if at all. I really hope we haven't seen the last of him as a player.
                        Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Sun Nov 28, 2010, 07:23 AM.
                        RR OG

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                          Rebounding is meaningless if you can't shoot and score.

You can rebound all night but if you can't shoot what good is it?

None

However, if you can shoot than you don't need to rebound as much.

Rather obvious.
                          That's bball crazy talk buddafan. The bulls won titles with Rodman and Pistons won one with Big ben.
                          Both player we're starters with zero offensive skill(but they did play better defence)

Comment

Working...
                          X