Trade Progress Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Progress Report

Hindsight is 20/20 but BC's trade record is not bad...

Bayless <->Jack Grade: A
    lets not kid ourselves here this was 20% about peja and cap space - they wanted Bayless (22yrs) he is already a huge upgrade over Jack(27yrs) and will only get better.
    Bayless is an asset/legit blue chip - Jack and Andersen were acquired as FA's - that is very savvy making something out of nothing.

Belineli <->J wright Grade: C - really who cares. Marco is better but I wouldn't want him on my team anyhow.

Ukic+ Delfino <-> Weems Amir GRADE:A (not and A+ because Delfino came at the expense of 2 second rounders)

Jermain O'Neil + first rounder <-> Roy Hibbert GRADE:F - this one hurts more every year. Hibbert is a real pro.

Hedo (26 min 9ppg) <-> Barbosa (21 min 11.5ppg) GRADE:B+ the fact that you are getting anything out of barbosa is a bonus. Removing Hedo and his contract was the real issue

Bosh <->2 first rounders+15mill trade exp Grade:B record is better than last year and Raps are not paying Bosh (and his knees) max money + picks and money to look forward to @ the draft.

If BC was not trying to build around an over rated power forward for 4 years this team would have gotten better faster. I dont thing the Raps can do anything but relish the moves with that one glaring exception... and perhaps this:

bosh + jermain O'neil <-> miami 2011 first rounder + Shawn Marion
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

If I remember correctly, we drafted Hibbert for the Pacers. I don't think we would have drafted him if we were using the pick for ourselves. We're always the weakest at the wing position. In any event, it was a bad trade even if you don't factor in Hibbert.

Comment

some of those grade r too high or too low,

for the bellineli and wright thing, D+ maybe.. we gave up someone who was usless to us... and somehow got a guy who does worse -_-.....

Grade A for Weems and Amir for Delfino and Ukic... more like a B i guess.... yah Ukic is outta the league but im still not sold on Weems for bein starter at all and bein maybe 10th guy on most teams, although Amir is good, But still i miss Delfino and his eyes...

Hedo for Barbosa... A+... nuthin lower than tat, honestly Colangelo was able to make a worthless, old, overpaid BY A TON player in Turk, to a Cheaper, useful, younger player in Barbosa... 100% win

Bosh trade... F, we got jack shyt for an "allstar" seriously if he juss fuckin went to houston or somethin we would be in a bttr place.... but no, had his mind sent on goin to Miami. Also.... we coulda had beasley, i know at the time didnt want him either, but im not running a team so... w.e

Comment

I don't know why people still think two second round pics for Delf was a steep price. I know there are some gems to be had, but the odds are against it. Taking a pair of long shots and turning them into a solid rotation player is a steal. Turning that player and a crap (yes, Roko is crap) second round player into 2 solid, young, athletic players is a f'ing coup.
        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
          Hindsight is 20/20 but BC's trade record is not bad...

Bayless <->Jack Grade: A
          lets not kid ourselves here this was 20% about peja and cap space - they wanted Bayless (22yrs) he is already a huge upgrade over Jack(27yrs) and will only get better.
          Bayless is an asset/legit blue chip - Jack and Andersen were acquired as FA's - that is very savvy making something out of nothing.

Belineli <->J wright Grade: C - really who cares. Marco is better but I wouldn't want him on my team anyhow.

Ukic+ Delfino <-> Weems Amir GRADE:A (not and A+ because Delfino came at the expense of 2 second rounders)

Jermain O'Neil + first rounder <-> Roy Hibbert GRADE:F - this one hurts more every year. Hibbert is a real pro.

Hedo (26 min 9ppg) <-> Barbosa (21 min 11.5ppg) GRADE:B+ the fact that you are getting anything out of barbosa is a bonus. Removing Hedo and his contract was the real issue

Bosh <->2 first rounders+15mill trade exp Grade:B record is better than last year and Raps are not paying Bosh (and his knees) max money + picks and money to look forward to @ the draft.

If BC was not trying to build around an over rated power forward for 4 years this team would have gotten better faster. I dont thing the Raps can do anything but relish the moves with that one glaring exception... and perhaps this:

bosh + jermain O'neil <-> miami 2011 first rounder + Shawn Marion
          great post charlz...

what about cv for tj ford ?

grade the signings too...

kapono - 24 mil 4 years

hedo - 50 mil 5 years

jose - 45 mil 5 years

bargs - 50 mil 5 years

amir - 32 mil 4 (or 5) years

jack - ? mil ? years

i havnt checked all these numbers but what do you think about the contracts he has handed out ?

Comment

Colangelo is a mixed bag on everything.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
              I would say the jury is still out on this. We'll have to see what happens with the TPE. Remember part of it has already been used to acquire Bayless. So as of now, Bosh has returned 2 1st rounders, Bayless with a remaining $12.2 TPE.

Comment

Important to point out that delfino openly stated he didn't want to come back to play for the raptors so the grade here should be higher. I liked delfino too but to trade a malcontent for productive players at all is top notch.

As we all say colangelo is worth his weight in gold on trades and hard to match. That said an asst GM should be in charge of free agent signings. As for draft picks I think BC has relied on asst's far too much.

Comment

Michel G wrote: View Post
                  If I remember correctly, we drafted Hibbert for the Pacers. I don't think we would have drafted him if we were using the pick for ourselves. We're always the weakest at the wing position. In any event, it was a bad trade even if you don't factor in Hibbert.
                  Perhaps - Hibbert along side of Bosh was talked about - or to replace him and bump bargs to PF in the event of a Bosh departure

Comment

great post charlz... thanks

what about cv for tj ford ? at the time seemed like a classic buy low sell high. I think BC was correct about TJ's ability but what they could not gauge was his attitude. Too immature/moody and ego driven - a real shame.

grade the signings too...

kapono - 24 mil 4 years D He should have know Kapono was a liability defensively (a very big one - maybe the worst wing defender in the league). I wont give a worse grade for 2 reasons.
                    1. at least he was trying to do something (unlike babcock) kapono was coveted by other teams known as the top 3pt man in the league.
                    2. He did dump the contract for Defense and rebounding (Reggie) when it became apparent the Kapono was protected by shaq in the paint.

hedo - 50 mil 5 years GRADE:C - I always hated the move - never liked turk. But BC did something we have never seen in Toronto; got the most coveted free agent of a given summer to sign. It was a statement to Bosh. Under the new bosh free-mandate I don't think he would stop to far on turk-o-pooh.

jose - 45 mil 5 years GRADE: B- The season preceding the summer of his contract Jose was a fringe allstar. Very high in assists 3pt and ass/TO/ratio. His stock seemed to be rising and no one could have forseen him wearing down and missing so much time and subsequently becoming a substandard defender. I dont rate his contract as being as bad as IGODALA/BRAND for example. Anyhow he is off the chart in hustle and adored by many fans - off to a good start this season but I still feel he will break down and miss 10-15 games.

bargs - 50 mil 5 years GRADE:A-C? verdict is out who is this guy? 3pt shots are down which I like - he is imposing his will on teams now and it is trending up. If he continues to work the back end of that contract will be great value. Even decent big men are not cheap in the NBA.

amir - 32 mil 4 (or 5) years A++ This guy is a more athletic Denis Rodman with a hook shot. He gave Amare fits like no other player I have seen. (did you notice he did all that while staying out of foul trouble) Amare got his point totals up when Amir sat. He is still very young developing fast. Incredible NBA body very lean long and strong - works very hard. If you go to a live game just watch the intensity with which he plays every possession. He could become a Ben Wallace for the Raptors.

jack - 20 mil 4 years GRADE:A I liked the Jack deal under the old mandate to keep Bosh + he is a character hustle guy and a huge upgrade from Will Solomon. He ranks low on the talent pool and knows it but makes up for it by being a glue guys and great practice player. Unlike many stars will never take one game in the NBA for granted. Was a tad over paid but other teams had MLE to offer him too.

i havnt checked all these numbers but what do you think about the contracts he has handed out ?
                    Last edited by charlz; Wed Dec 8, 2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I won't dwell too much on the stuff that has already been mentioned, but the one trade that stings the most and its wound is still fresh is Bosh. No he couldn't have traded him before the summer because we would have eaten him alive that I understand.

BUT once free agency started and Bosh's ploy became apparent why the fuck didn't he accept Chicago's offer of 2 or 3 1st round picks with Taj Gibson (and obviously the TPE). An article was written at the time by ESPN about the Raptors asking for Noah (which I don't mind) but once he declined that it was obvious he was going to Miami which offered a much inferior package.

Ok so he said no to Chicago and Bosh decided on Miami and forced his hand by saying that he (Bosh) was going to sign with Miami even for less money; i.e. Toronto wont even get a S&T. Why the fuck did he let Beasley go to Minnesota?? That hurts especially now that we desperately need a consistent scoring wing. Say what you want about Beasley but the guy is on rookie scale contract and had he caused any problems we could have easily cut him.

That transaction deserves a grade of F lettong the best asset of the Bosh trade go to a third team for 2 second round picks. And to cover his tracks a few weeks back one of the local papers (I think the Sun but I'm not sure) mentioned that BC was never offered Beasley, which is a blatant lie.

I will give him a D until I see what he does with his precious TPE.

Comment

Bosh has bad and deteriorating knees.

He is a big risk for $100 million, especially for a reloading team

If he can help the Heat win a title or two over the next couple of seasons the Heat's investment in him will have been worth it, even if he can't play productively further out in his contract due to continuing deterioration in his knees.
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

thomas1 wrote: View Post
                          I won't dwell too much on the stuff that has already been mentioned, but the one trade that stings the most and its wound is still fresh is Bosh. No he couldn't have traded him before the summer because we would have eaten him alive that I understand.

BUT once free agency started and Bosh's ploy became apparent why the fuck didn't he accept Chicago's offer of 2 or 3 1st round picks with Taj Gibson (and obviously the TPE). An article was written at the time by ESPN about the Raptors asking for Noah (which I don't mind) but once he declined that it was obvious he was going to Miami which offered a much inferior package.
                          Chi deal would have been nice yes. I like the Houston Deal better Bosh <-> scola + brooks + ariza.
                          But BC seems to be working it out. Bayless may have more upside than brooks. Scola was a big contract great player but I think over the life of the contract (next 5 years) Raps will get more From Davis+Amir.

Ok so he said no to Chicago and Bosh decided on Miami and forced his hand by saying that he (Bosh) was going to sign with Miami even for less money; i.e. Toronto wont even get a S&T. Why the fuck did he let Beasley go to Minnesota?? That hurts especially now that we desperately need a consistent scoring wing. Say what you want about Beasley but the guy is on rookie scale contract and had he caused any problems we could have easily cut him.

That transaction deserves a grade of F lettong the best asset of the Bosh trade go to a third team for 2 second round picks. And to cover his tracks a few weeks back one of the local papers (I think the Sun but I'm not sure) mentioned that BC was never offered Beasley, which is a blatant lie.

I will give him a D until I see what he does with his precious TPE.
                          Yes Raps were offered Beasley. I would rather have gotten the pick and kept the caps space clear.
                          Couple things to know about beasley.
                          1) DWADE refused to come back if he was on the team
                          2) he is clinically b-polar so he will be UP and DOWN his entire career.
                          3) his stats on T-wolves - like Bosh's stats as go-to guy on crummy team. They are inflated.
                          YOU CAN NOT BUILD WITH A GUY LIKE BEASLEY.

Comment

Working...
                          X