No announcement yet.

Weems is Playing Himself Off This Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wishful thinking I'm sure, but I just sent a letter to Santa asking him to bring me a Raptors trade... Bayless & Weems & Miami's pick to Minnesota for Rubio... there is our pass-first PG of the future! All we'd need then is a legit starting wing who can score consistently.

Talk about a good young core of players that are all 25-or-under: Bargnani, Johnson, Davis, WING (trade/FA/draft), DeRozan, Kleiza, Rubio

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      You know Bayless is 22, making his 14th career start, and has played less than 2 seasons of NBA ball averaging under 16 minutes a game?

Oh yeah, and he did have a good game going until the final 5 minutes - 17 points and 9 assists. His shot was not consistent but he was attacking the rim despite this and finding his teammates.
      Exactly. His distribution is doing well, he is learning, and will have off nights. I like Weems, at least he seems a good cat, but this funk he is in is ridiculous. This is not an off night or two, it's an off night or 22. And if he is playing for a contract would one not think he would play well, at least hard? Uninspired defensive play does not help him. As a fringe player he should be looking to get a contract with the team he is with or find himself out of the league.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
        IDK what you're watching, Bayless is far from ready to play starting PG.

1) He's selfish.
        2) Forces plays.
        3) He turns the ball over.
        4) Low court vision.
        5) He doesn't know the system.

Calderon has been playing off the chart (at least offensively) there is no way in hell you could bench him. We win far more games with Calderon starting then with Bayless starting.
        I really hate when people express opinions without contextualizing a situation.
        1) He can be a little selfish. Because he's been asked to play the off guard position on other teams and because he is a combo guard who is still learning the Raptors sets he will look for the most effective way to score which is his shot sometimes...
        2) He forces plays (like in the last five minutes of the game) when nobody is moving without the ball and letting the offense stagger against a very good man to man defensive team.
        3) Every point guard turns the ball over. He's getting 1.7 to's a game for 23 minutes work. That's actually not bad considering how aggressive he is and no where near being turnover prone.
        4) As someone all ready stated...4.5 assists in less than 25 minutes of play places him at the top of the food chain for back up point guards and court vision.
        5) And the only way he is going to know the system is for him to get the real world minutes where this team is firing on all cylinders, as opposed to last night when Weems and Bargnani were more worried with what they were Tivoing than what was happening on the court.

And considering this happened after a night when he went all world with a great performance, sometimes a younger guy can force things. What I did here was try to contextualize the why's and wherefores...or you can just react like you did. I guess that's good too.
        Last edited by Gman; Wed Dec 15, 2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
          Weems is an over achiever who was been hyped to death with this whole young bums marketing scheme...i personally think having weems play 15min is 13min too long.. DD is enough for me... i really dont see the use for weems with DD around...1 slashing SG with no range is all we need in our starting line up thank you!!!..

Bayless has been a bright spot for us soo i dont see why bashing him does any good... hes bound to make a few mistakes with soo much time with the ball, his dribble drive opens alot up on offense for others & 9ast is good in my books.. he prob gets 14asts if more shots are made... that turn over in the 4th wasnt totally his fault either... Bargs spotted up at the 3pt line & screened his own player!...forcing Bayless to crash into his back...

Bargs is just a waste... even when he scores he gives up to much on defence... Nazi & Kwame both abussed bargs & thats just a down right embarressment....
          Well said.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Wishful thinking I'm sure, but I just sent a letter to Santa asking him to bring me a Raptors trade... Bayless & Weems & Miami's pick to Minnesota for Rubio... there is our pass-first PG of the future! All we'd need then is a legit starting wing who can score consistently.

Talk about a good young core of players that are all 25-or-under: Bargnani, Johnson, Davis, WING (trade/FA/draft), DeRozan, Kleiza, Rubio
            I would do this in a heartbeat, but it aint going to happen. Minnesota waited two years for this kid. They aint letting him go for blood or money.

Comment

Hello Clarance...

First of all his name is Clarance Weems not Sunny...
              Anyway I'm not suprised...ppl his not starter,he probably wouldn't even be bench player on good team,he would be dressed in suit.
              I mean look what happend at the end of Charlotte Bobcats game,tie game with less then 2 minutes 2 go and he let's his man go for a nice easy lay up...not only that but his laughin it with the fans.
              Anyway I don't see him in big picture...I am predicting a big trade that involves him.

P.S

Guys that won't be back next year...here is the list.(Traded,Free Agent,not signed)

Sunny Weems
              Jose Calderon
              Peja Stojakovic
              Reggie Evans
              Julian Wright
              Joey Dorsey

Maybe...even Leandrinho Barbosa if he doesen't pick up his option...but u never know.
              Richard Jefferson decline his option and got more money,but I dought it especially that nba collective bargaining agreement is coming 2 the end of this year...
              Anyway ppl don't worry Clarance won't be with us next year...
              Bye Bye Clarice...I mean Clarance
              "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
              My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Gman wrote: View Post
                I really hate when people express opinions without contextualizing a situation.
                1) He can be a little selfish. Because he's been asked to play the off guard position on other teams and because he is a combo guard who is still learning the Raptors sets he will look for the most effective way to score which is his shot sometimes...
                2) He forces plays (like in the last five minutes of the game) when nobody is moving without the ball and letting the offense stagger against a very good man to man defensive team.
                3) Every point guard turns the ball over. He's getting 1.7 to's a game for 23 minutes work. That's actually not bad considering how aggressive he is and no where near being turnover prone.
                4) As someone all ready stated...4.5 assists in less than 25 minutes of play places him at the top of the food chain for back up point guards and court vision.
                5) And the only way he is going to know the system is for him to get the real world minutes where this team is firing on all cylinders, as opposed to last night when Weems and Bargnani were more worried with what they were Tivoing than what was happening on the court.

And considering this happened after a night when he went all world with a great performance, sometimes a younger guy can force things. What I did here was try to contextualize the why's and wherefores...or you can just react like you did. I guess that's good too.
                Good post. I think people need to get real and ask themselves the tough question. Do they want to see this team win now at the level of mediocrity or do they want to suck it up, sit through some frustrating times and see this team come out of it with some developed young players who have a chance to achieve far more than the dead end players that people want playing in favor of them.

I mean seriously. So they bench Bayless, what happens next? Does the team suddenly morph from a piece of crap into a contender? If not then what's the point? Colangelo himself described this season as a "rebuild" without using the actual term so if anything I expect Bayless to play more and so he should. This season isn't about squeezing the maximum amount of wins out, it's about squeezing the maximum amount of progression out of the young players.

A lot of recent Raptors fans complaints sound like those of fans of a struggling contender and not those of a lotto team who's primary goal is anything but winning right now.
                Last edited by Apollo; Wed Dec 15, 2010, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                  This guy frustrates me more and more every time he plays. The most selfish player on the court at all times (and that's counting whomever we're playing each night) and can singlehanded kill our momentum at the flick of a switch. Tonight was a pure example of what I'm talking about.

A mental midget on offense who was sloppier than a drunk Grade 9'er at their first high school dance. Instead of taking notice of his play you think he would contribute in other ways. Say like, playing some defense. Nope. Lazy, lazy, lazy with no pressure at all.

So considering he's playing for a contract the only thing I see this guy doing right now is playing himself off this team. Only problem we have is that the alternative right now isn't any better with Linas. So, Jay better show Weems some tough love because his play over the last while I feel is unacceptable.

OK, rant over. Sorry for the rant. Just frustrated as a fan.
                  I'm never a fan of Weems even in his early successes. I cannot understand for the life of me why he's such a fan favourite. He does nothing well in particular. It seems to me that fans are settling for the next best thing. Outside of Reggie, Julian and in my opinion Jerryd, there's no one else in the team that has the hustle and heart. Weems is what he is - a selfish, one dimensional player that seems to be doing cartwheels during practice for him to earn so much burn during games. He has most of the coaches and some fans drinking his Koolaid.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

"seems a good cat, but this funk he is in is ridiculous" <--- Somebody posted but I'm brutal with linking stuff!

Sonny had a great Summer League. Sonny & Derozen had AWESOME chemistry..... ya I know it's only summer league but Sonny was riding a big wave of confidence coming into this year. Add the YoungGunz Ads and Contract Year and Sonny I bet was feeling like a king! Then the season started.....

Sonny lost his swagger, shot, confidence and connection with Derozen. I think Sonny & Derozon were getting each other PUMPED with confidence = Shots Dropping. Now that Sonny & Derozon are being pressured to preform we are seeing that they are still WET behind the ears.

Sonny is like that guy at the bar that looks SUPER cool but when you talk to him you can tell he need more experience and isn't mentally strong enough YET to deal with this FUNK but *could* still be cool.

Jury is still out for Sonny....

Comment

Everyone understands that Rubio is garbage, right? Bayless>>>>>>>>>Rubio
                      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Good post. I think people need to get real and ask themselves the tough question. Do they want to see this team win now at the level of mediocrity or do they want to suck it up, sit through some frustrating times and see this team come out of it with some developed young players who have a chance to achieve far more than the dead end players that people want playing in favor of them.

I mean seriously. So they bench Bayless, what happens next? Does the team suddenly morph from a piece of crap into a contender? If not then what's the point? Colangelo himself described this season as a "rebuild" without using the actual term so if anything I expect Bayless to play more and so he should. This season isn't about squeezing the maximum amount of wins out, it's about squeezing the maximum amount of progression out of the young players.

A lot of recent Raptors fans complaints sound like those of fans of a struggling contender and not those of a lotto team who's primary goal is anything but winning right now.
                        So you're saying we shouldn't even try to win? It wouldn't be fair to the fans or other players on this team if they went by that logic.

Bayless can learn from the bench, he's getting more min here then he has on any other team in the NBA. He is most likely not even going to be the PG on the future, he just doesn't have the skills to be a starting PG.

Comment

So you're saying we shouldn't even try to win? It wouldn't be fair to the fans or other players on this team if they went by that logic.
                          I am saying winning should not be prioritized ahead of developing the young guys. Extra loses now may be made up ten times over if they can get the kids going sooner than later.

Bayless can learn from the bench, he's getting more min here then he has on any other team in the NBA. He is most likely not even going to be the PG on the future, he just doesn't have the skills to be a starting PG.
                          Bayless has been learning from the bench for years now. He needs minutes whether it be a starter or a rotational guy. Watching only goes so far. Watching is also far more beneficial when the player is watching good players play. I'm not sure how much he's going to learn from watching Sonny Weems chuck it all night... Or Jose Calderon do his best matador impersonation on defense.
                          Last edited by Apollo; Wed Dec 15, 2010, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Raptorfan4life
                            So what you are telling me is that we keep playing Calderon and bring Bayless off the bench. I disagree with you. I know right now Calderon is a better player then Bayless I'll give you that but what are you going to do when they trade Calderon and Bayless has not enough experience running the team with more min. This is now a rebuilding mode and Calderon really is not in their plans but Bayless is. Bayless needs the min.first of all to get rid of all of the tendencies that you listed. He is a young ball player with a great upswing not an old Calderon who is not really in the Raptor plans. Think about the overall picture before you criticize me and the way the Raptors are moving!

1) He's selfish.
                            2) Forces plays.
                            3) He turns the ball over.
                            4) Low court vision.
                            5) He doesn't know the system.

Calderon has been playing off the chart (at least offensively) there is no way in hell you could bench him. We win far more games with Calderon starting then with Bayless starting.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Well said Doc, I was furious watching Weems kill our momentum last night. His crunch time turnovers are even worse than his poor shot selection. This dude is nice off the bench, and that's it.

To all you "develop the young guys" posters- just cuz the dude is young , DOES NOT mean he will develop into something great.

I agree with that other dude though, Weems might look better starting in DD's position, but we all know that will never happen unless DD is injured.

Comment

It is my opinion that it is always best to try and win a sporting event, event by event.

I don't care what the odds are people should never enter into any competition unless they desire or expect to win regardless of the odds.

People who play for reasons other than winning each game that they compete in are losers not only in the game but more importantly in life, period, straight up.
                                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                                X