The Raptors Should Seriously Consider Signing Oden This Coming Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raptors Should Seriously Consider Signing Oden This Coming Summer

Raptors should seriously look at Oden during the off-season.

People shouldn’t just dismiss this idea because of Oden’s history of injuries.

No way the Trailblazers will extend him his QO which is about $9 million so Oden will become a free agent.

The Raptors should look at his medical history, talk to his doctors, his agent and Oden.

I would think that other teams will be doing the same thing.

Raptors should not overpay for him but if his medical prognosis passes mustard then they should consider making him a reasonable offer.

Then decide if they want to make an offer maybe of say 3 seasons $4 million a season with the third being a team option depending on what the Raptors decide regarding his ability to stay healthy.

Or they could even offer a lower guaranteed amount and load the contract with incentive pay based upon minutes played each season.

There is no doubt that Oden is force down low when he is healthy.

So it seems to me that evaluating him and possibly offering him a heavy incentive laden contract based upon minutes played per season, if his health prognosis is favorable played, makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Dec 15, 2010, 04:28 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

I agree. It appears Oden will not be able to log heavy minutes and he would fit in very nicely with Bargnani, Davis, and Johnson. Davis, Johnson, and Oden would also be free to play hard and aggressive because there would be capable bodies waiting on the bench should one get in foul trouble.

I would definitely take the risk on him and would load it with performance and playing time (minutes/games) incentives.

You never know, the guy could be the next Amar'e (i.e. to come back from 2 microfracture surgeries and be a force - he could also be the next McGrady or Kenyon Martin, as well).

Comment

it would be nice but i wouldnt want to offer too much money. but im sure alot of teams would want to sign him.

Comment

He's barely played in the NBA, what's the point. We have Big Ed, Bargs, Amir, Alabi plus whatever player(s) we draft. By the end of this year Big Ed will have more experience then GO.

Comment

OHIP would need overhauling if Oden joined us....BC would need a Mental Evaluation if he signed Oden..

Comment

we might as well sign B Roy and A Bynum as well

Comment

Bone problems/disorders can be due to genetics. I doubt if Oden would allow such a test to be performed (privacy being one reason). Of course if he did have a problem this would put an end to his sporting career. This has a precedent in the Curry-Chicago case where it was suspected Curry had a genetic heart problem and a test was requested prior to contract negotiations. He refused and the rest is history. In Curry's case the Bulls and Knicks should have also hired a shrink to shake him out.

Comment

At $4M a year or so or incentive laden not a bad risk I would like to see the chance taken. Some have been saying the blazers forced him to big up too quickly thus causing the extra knee issues (came out of the brandon roy case coming up this year) which concerns me with Ed Davis and his quick bulk up (although he has the family genetics that support it).

Comment

I don't think that would be a good idea, we already have Ed Davis who's practically been injured since last year at UNC, and we have a nice young core that probably will develop into a very good team in the future.

I say lets just wait to see what this team can do in the next 2 years befor we start signing other players.

*my bad about the two yrs thing, but we still have one guy with his own knee problem, no reason to sign Oden as well.
                  Last edited by webcrawler89; Wed Dec 15, 2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

webcrawler89 wrote: View Post
                    I don't think that would be a good idea, we already have Ed Davis who's practically been injured the last two years at UNC, and we have a nice young core that probably will develop into a very good team in the future.

I say lets just wait to see what this team can do in the next 2 years befor we start signing other players.
                    Davis played for UNC for two seasons. To my recollection the only time that he was seriously injured was this year in Feb 2010 and then of course this last summer.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I think taking a shot at Oden would be a good idea ....

Only thing is ... Im sure other GM's may have the same idea ... and knowing BC and us being the Raptors ... we will have to overpay to get him ...

Depending on how much they could get for him .... I like this move

But its all whole different ball game at the end of the season ... we have to see what we can do at the trade deadline and at the draft ....

Comment

The way things are going, Oden is headed for an early retirement. I think there are better FA options out there. Hell, the Raptors have lots of expiring contracts and a big TPE. They don't need to wait until FA to find a solid defensive presence in the paint.

Comment

Unless Oden's signing a 1 year, <2 mil deal, no.

Do you know WHY he gets injured? The details came to light a few months ago.

One of his knees is a full inch and a half higher than the other.

He'll NEVER be healthy with that against him.
                          Joshua Priemski
                          NBA blogger
                          SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                          www.RufusOnFire.com/
                          www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Working...
                          X