Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 NBA free agents: HoopsWorld.com ranks top 30 (post 129)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A player with JR Smith's game when focused (instant offense, slasher, deep range, solid D) is exactly the type of player I would like to see the Raptors sign to come off the bench. Unfortunately I am not aware of any player with JR Smith's game that is not JR Smith.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
      Ugh! I've never liked Rodney Stuckey and couldn't understand when Raptor fans seemed to be all over him a couple of years ago. He has no PG skills and was given every chance to succeed in Detroit. I'd rather have Bayless running the team than Stuckey, and I'm not convinced Bayless can do it. Alvin Williams, while somewhat of a combo guard, had the high basketball and leadership ability that made up for his lack of true PG skills (like Chauncey Billups). Stuckey would be a fine third guard off the bench, but the Raptors already have a couple of those.
      I was never all over Stuckey, but like Billups, who it took till his 6th year in the league to grind out a role, Stuckey could be ready for a change of scenery and a new role on a team. Stuckey already brings what we hope Bayless will bring, he also can play the 2 guard with much more ease, allowing for some small ball with Demar at the 3 for short stretches of games.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Stuckey doesn't have good court vision and isn't a good facilitator. Billups, Stuckey, they're different people. I don't think you can measure Stuckey on where Billups was at this point any more than you can measure DeMar DeRozan on where Vince Carter or Tracy McGrady was at this point. I feel much better with Bayless as the potential future than Stuckey.

Comment

The Raptors need to target the best player(s) in the draft. Period.
          Barnes is a top 5 prospect i'd say he's one of the best players available for us. Kabongo would be good as a second late lottery pick or late first round pick. But with the new age restrictions that might be implemented he might not be eligible. Even if we get the 2nd or 3rd pick we should take Barnes no question about it.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            Stuckey doesn't have good court vision and isn't a good facilitator. Billups, Stuckey, they're different people. I don't think you can measure Stuckey on where Billups was at this point any more than you can measure DeMar DeRozan on where Vince Carter or Tracy McGrady was at this point. I feel much better with Bayless as the potential future than Stuckey.
            And bayless has actually showed that he can pass. He averaged 5+ assists near the end of the season

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              Barnes is a top 5 prospect i'd say he's one of the best players available for us. Kabongo would be good as a second late lottery pick or late first round pick. But with the new age restrictions that might be implemented he might not be eligible. Even if we get the 2nd or 3rd pick we should take Barnes no question about it.
              At this point, I've no doubt that Barnes is a top 5 pick. But the Raptors don't need the 5th best player. They need the best player. If that happens to be Barnes, then great. If not, they don't need to bypass a better player in order to fill a need, because the Raptors biggest need is not positional. It's one of talent. They need to pick the player who has the most potential to become an elite talent.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

And bayless has actually showed that he can pass. He averaged 5+ assists near the end of the season
                How many assists a player gets is not always the best indicator of how well he can run an offense. Bayless still hasn't shown me that he can run an offense. He gets his most of his assists by putting his head down and driving, and then dishing when his shots not there. In other words, when he dominates the ball. That works against lesser teams, but when defenses prevent him from getting into the lane, can he still make his teammates better? Can he still get his team to score? I haven't seen that, yet.

I'm not sold on Bayless, but I like him better than Stuckey, at least. An I'm willing to continue to give him a chance.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Stuckey averaged 5 + assist for the entire year, increasing his assists per game by .4 in 3 less minutes per game. Again, I am not saying he is the future, but he has a more proven track record than Bayless at this point and could come just a cheap....
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                    Stuckey averaged 5 + assist for the entire year, increasing his assists per game by .4 in 3 less minutes per game. Again, I am not saying he is the future, but he has a more proven track record than Bayless at this point and could come just a cheap....
                    He has more of a proven track record for an inability to run a team. And the Raptors already have a PG who really isn't a PG. WHy would they want another one?
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

He has more of a proven track record for an inability to run a team. And the Raptors already have a PG who really isn't a PG. WHy would they want another one?
                      I am not sure why people are so quick to write this guy off. While he is not a 10 assist per game guy, and stats are not everything, he has a better assist to turn over ratio than many other hot young PG's....Collison, Jennings, Curry, Westbrook and others. We have been spoiled with high assist PG's in Toronto and forget what it is like to have guys average only 5 or 6 from that spot. Stuckey may not have made his teammates a whole bunch better in Detroit, but having Ben Gordon and Rip Hamilton as your back-court does make for much of a transition game either. I have not seen enough of Stuckey to pull the plug, nor would I bet the farm on him, but at the right price with Jose more than likely on his way out and 4.16 million qualifying offer due to Bayless next year I would not be upset if we grabbed him to replace both those guys and bring in a PG in the draft....again at the right price.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                        I am not sure why people are so quick to write this guy off. While he is not a 10 assist per game guy, and stats are not everything, he has a better assist to turn over ratio than many other hot young PG's....Collison, Jennings, Curry, Westbrook and others. We have been spoiled with high assist PG's in Toronto and forget what it is like to have guys average only 5 or 6 from that spot. Stuckey may not have made his teammates a whole bunch better in Detroit, but having Ben Gordon and Rip Hamilton as your back-court does make for much of a transition game either. I have not seen enough of Stuckey to pull the plug, nor would I bet the farm on him, but at the right price with Jose more than likely on his way out and 4.16 million qualifying offer due to Bayless next year I would not be upset if we grabbed him to replace both those guys and bring in a PG in the draft....again at the right price.
                        Teams that don't have a high basketball IQ guy that can make his teammates better struggle, especially in the playoffs. Generally, that guy is the PG, because he's, hopefully, got the instincts to run an offense and get others involved. If you've got a guy like LeBron or even Joe Johnson, then you don't need a a PG to do that. The Raptors have no one on the team other than Calderon that has any idea how to run an offense and make his teammates better.

Collison, Jennings, Curry and Westbrook have all been rumoured to be on the block at times for the exact reason that they aren't true PGs and their teams have underperformed because of it. I've seen too many teams that have hybrid PGs never be happy with them.

In the playoffs, when the defenses get tighter and the pace slows down, a guy who really knows how to get teammates easier shows is a must.
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                        X