Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grizzlies Scouts Recently in Attendance at Raptors Games

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grizzlies Scouts Recently in Attendance at Raptors Games

    This is a couple days old already, but nevertheless news.

    As @beezersun points out, Grizzlies director of pro scouting took in his second straight #raptors game today. Grizz/Raps not until 27th

    So kind of weird he is here for two games. Memphis apparently shopping Thabeet hard and Raps need a true centre ...
    Thabeet eh? Big kid who's very raw. Anyone think the Raps should take a shot at him?

    Source - Click here

  • #2
    Last year's numbers look very good. Exactly the opposite of what Bargnani does. It's nice to see the Raps recognize that Bargs is not a 5. But "Big kid who's very raw."? The Raps already have that player. Not sure they need another one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Brandon wrote: View Post
      Last year's numbers look very good. Exactly the opposite of what Bargnani does. It's nice to see the Raps recognize that Bargs is not a 5. But "Big kid who's very raw."? The Raps already have that player. Not sure they need another one.
      That.

      Comment


      • #4
        Even BC was quoted a couple of years ago as saying that you can't have too many "projects" on one NBA roster. Our roster is overflowing with projects already. Not just young guys like Bayless, Weems, Davis, Alabi, Dorsey & DD still trying to find their way in the NBA, but also career bench guys like Amir, Kleiza & Reggie trying to prove they can be starters and even Bargs trying to prove he can carry a franchise and play defense. What's that - 10 project players right there?

        You can argue that only Calderon and Barbosa can actually perform the roles that are expected of them, consistently. If anything, we need a few solid vets that know how to play the right way to mentor these guys. Even so, the total number of projects has to be pared down, or you'll have players learning bad habits from other players who are still developing.

        Comment


        • #5
          golden wrote: View Post
          Even BC was quoted a couple of years ago as saying that you can't have too many "projects" on one NBA roster. Our roster is overflowing with projects already. Not just young guys like Bayless, Weems, Davis, Alabi, Dorsey & DD still trying to find their way in the NBA, but also career bench guys like Amir, Kleiza & Reggie trying to prove they can be starters and even Bargs trying to prove he can carry a franchise and play defense. What's that - 10 project players right there?

          You can argue that only Calderon and Barbosa can actually perform the roles that are expected of them, consistently. If anything, we need a few solid vets that know how to play the right way to mentor these guys. Even so, the total number of projects has to be pared down, or you'll have players learning bad habits from other players who are still developing.
          Jose is also technically a project by your definition. He's still trying to prove he can play D.

          Comment


          • #6
            RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
            Jose is also technically a project by your definition. He's still trying to prove he can play D.
            Yeah, I was debating that too, but I give Jose a pass this year because his defense has truly improved. The effort is better and it reflects in DRtg, where he surprisingly has the best rating of perimeter players and also shows up in on/off rating where the team is better defensively when he is on the court. A stunning reversal of the last few seasons.

            The other obvious problem with so many projects is - where do find the minutes to develop all these guys?

            Comment


            • #7
              Wouldn't it make as much sense if the Raps were talking to the Grizz about OJ Mayo?

              Comment


              • #8
                I think Alabi has more upside.

                Comment


                • #9
                  daveyboy wrote: View Post
                  Wouldn't it make as much sense if the Raps were talking to the Grizz about OJ Mayo?
                  I don't understand the infatuation with OJ Mayo. Undersized combo guard, ball-sticker and a bit of a chucker. Hot and cold. Classic sixth man material - like Jamal Crawford. We already have Barbosa and Bayless for that role.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You know what they say, "When there's smoke, there's fire". Yea, the scout being here for a reason is not by accident. I do think that Memphis is shopping Thabeet and only Thabeet. I also think that the scout was perhaps heavy on looking at Alabi as well in his 6 minutes of action. This may be a case of Center swap but the players attached (the key centerpieces) to them will be interesting. I'm not sure if management is ready to back-up Mayo either. It seems like they're grooming Xavier Henry as the starting SG / SF (a duplication of skill and at a cheaper price). I think that Memphis being a small market team cannot afford to hold on to their guys (Gasol and ZBo). Something may be in the works and this is outside of the fact that I think Thabeet has yet to fully realize his potential. I just don't want this to turn into Roy Hibbert 2.0 situation where the Raps drafted him, never looked at his potential and trades him to another team, then flourishes. Hibbert I might add was a lot less talented when he came out of college than Thabeet did. You can't teach height, but everything else might come in with the right tutelage.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      With Thabeet and Amir on the floor at the same time, Raptors could probably break an NBA record for most fouls committed in 60 seconds.
                      Eh follow my TWITTER!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't know if Alabi and Thabeet are at the same level. Thabeet seems to be at a higher level than Alabi and maybe it's because Alabi is just way too nice of a guy to be a Mutombo kind of character. People need to be scared of your center and how can you be scared of someone who smiles that much. I'm not that involved with Memphis but I rarely seem Thabeet smile

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I wouldn't trade amir but kleiza could go

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thabeet has a whole lot more upside than Alabi. I'm not sure what his problem is, there's been a lot of talk about his effort on and off the court.

                            As a comparison, Grizz coach got fed up with Thabeet and sent him to the D-League last year. If I remember correctly he had a couple monster games and played pretty good. Might be just the type of player that needs a kick in the ass.
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                              This is a couple days old already, but nevertheless news.



                              Thabeet eh? Big kid who's very raw. Anyone think the Raps should take a shot at him?

                              Source - Click here
                              Thabeet is softer than butter left in the summer sun for two hours.

                              In addition he has no offense whatsoever.

                              He will be a bigger bust than Darko. You can bank on it.
                              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                              Memories some so sweet, indeed

                              Larger Photo of the avatar



                              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X