Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bibby to Toronto Rumour

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bibby to Toronto Rumour

    Any other person from over at the RealGM and I wouldn't bother, but considering the source is coming from "LittleOzzy" (one of their moderators) I thought I'd toss this up to discuss.

    I know a few guys who work at Sportsnet and was talking to one today and he mentioned a rumour that is circling in the NBA involving Atlanta and Toronto.

    Deal involves Calderon and a big for Bibby and a big. No word on picks or cash being sent either way but he said it would likely include one or the other.

    That's about all I know other then both teams waived players today.

    -----

    To put into context my source, he was the same guy who mentioned a few seasons back BC wanting Rasho to return if waived from Indiana when really it took a whole season to get him back. So he was right on him returning, just not in the time frame that was rumoured.
    What do you guys think?

    Source - Click here

  • #2
    Scenarios

    For it to work it would have to be Bibby plus a big man making close to the MLE for Calderon and a small contracted big man (example #1). Or alternatively it could be Bibby plus a large contract for Calderon and a guy making close to the MLE (example #2).

    Example #1
    Mike Bibby & Zaza Paculia For Jose Calderon & Joey Dorsey
    Mike Bibby & Zaza Paculia For Jose Calderon & Julian Wright

    Example #2
    Mike Bibby & Marvin Williams For Jose Calderon & Reggie Evans
    Mike Bibby & Marvin Williams For Jose Calderon & Linas Kleiza
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 11:06 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't like Bibby, but if Marvin Williams is put in the deal. Why not? We need swingmen. Give them Weems as well. But it's really hard to let go of Jose...

      Comment


      • #4
        I have no problem at all with Jose leaving town. Bibby and him are at a similar level and I don't think you would see any drop off on offense. I think the defense on the perimeter would improve a little. Not to mention Bibby has one less year left on contract.

        Comment


        • #5
          Bibby is old and Zaza is a 6'11" center with an average of 4rebs per game.
          No thanks.

          Comment


          • #6
            Apollo wrote: View Post
            I have no problem at all with Jose leaving town. Bibby and him are at a similar level and I don't think you would see any drop off on offense. I think the defense on the perimeter would improve a little. Not to mention Bibby has one less year left on contract.
            me neither. his contract is definitely a hindrance to the raps signing bigger FAs
            but id rather get expirings rather than waiting for another 2 years for contracts to expire.
            at least with jose, you know what youre getting, a pass-first PG who knows his place on the team.
            the only thing i like about bibby is he's clutch, he can hit big shots at the end of games.
            but pachulia or williams, im not too sure about. williams is sitting coz of a bad back.

            Comment


            • #7
              Bibby has been in the league a long time and has had a far better career than Jose Calderon. You should know exactly what you're getting with Mike Bibby. Bibby has fit well in Atlanta for years now as a role player. Many of those years were a situation somewhat similar to where the Raptors are now, that being a team with many young players who need guidance and leadership both on and off the court. Bibby has done well in Atlanta and I don't understand how he could have created any doubt there. The main reason his numbers(assists and points) have fallen is because he's playing with an All-Star SG who dominates the ball. He's still productive and embraced his reduced role very admirably.

              Comment


              • #8
                Calderon would be perfect for Atlanta. Bibby has played in Canada, so I don't think he would have any qualms playing here. Although he isn't a pure PG, his level of play isn't that far off from Jose's. I'd do Bibby and Pachulia for Calderon and Evans in a heartbeat. Pachulia can actually play minutes at the 5, is a decent rebounder and is a very tough customer. He's got a very reasonable contract for the next few years.
                Last edited by MangoKid; Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 10:05 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  this is a lateral move at best... if there is no big money savings it is pointless

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    black angus wrote: View Post
                    this is a lateral move at best... if there is no big money savings it is pointless
                    How is it a lateral move? Chances are, this team isnt going to resign Evans at the end of the season. So with that being said, to find someone with toughness, grit and a decent rebounder is going to be difficult to find. Pachulia not only fills that role, but he could very well be plugged into the 5 spot (he's 6'11", 270 lbs) and Bargnani could be moved to the 4.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      black angus wrote: View Post
                      this is a lateral move at best... if there is no big money savings it is pointless

                      I agree The only savings is 1 year less on bibby's contract.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No point in this. Jose is outplaying Bibby right now. End this discussion.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          MangoKid wrote: View Post
                          How is it a lateral move? Chances are, this team isnt going to resign Evans at the end of the season. So with that being said, to find someone with toughness, grit and a decent rebounder is going to be difficult to find. Pachulia not only fills that role, but he could very well be plugged into the 5 spot (he's 6'11", 270 lbs) and Bargnani could be moved to the 4.
                          Zaza and Bargnani starting together would only work if Davis or Johnson were starting at the 3 and if that were to happen the team would need a strong ball handler starting at the 2. I think Zaza starting with Bargnani would cause too big of a shake up. It's more likely that he would be a bench player in Toronto.

                          grindhouse wrote: View Post
                          I agree The only savings is 1 year less on bibby's contract.
                          We're talking a $3.5M saving next season and $10.5M the following season at the PG spot. $14M.

                          sillydebate wrote: View Post
                          No point in this. Jose is outplaying Bibby right now. End this discussion.
                          I think its more a matter of Jose getting more opportunity. You stick Jose with Joe Johnson and you would see him struggle to adapt.
                          Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Zaza and Bargnani starting together would only work if Davis or Johnson were starting at the 3 and if that were to happen the team would need a strong ball handler starting at the 2.
                            I actually wouldn't mind seeing Johnson at the 3. I think he could be like a Marion without the range. You'd never have to call a play for the guy, he could actually overpower most 3's, he runs the court fantastically. But like you said, we'd need a strong ball handler at the 2, something Derozan isn't at this point.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yeah. Barbosa or Bayless would need to start at the 2 then.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X