Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thorpe: "Davis Might End Up Being the Steal of the Lottery."

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thorpe: "Davis Might End Up Being the Steal of the Lottery."

    Let's hope Thorpe is right with this prediction.

    8. Ed Davis, Raptors
    Fields may be the steal of the draft, but Davis might end up being the steal of the lottery. His 17-point, 12-rebound, 3-block, 3-steal performance in Dallas on Dec. 28 is one of the gems of this class thus far. I don't care that Dirk Nowitzki didn't play; Toronto was missing lots of regulars, too.

    Which brings me to this: Davis has to be playing a lot for this team because he's showing that he might be a strong scorer, rebounder and shot-blocker. Although he might not end up being strong in any of those categories, the idea that he could be strong in any or all three areas is an exciting development for Raptors fans, especially considering Toronto nabbed him late in the lottery. And remember, he's months behind his fellow rookies in terms of his development because of his leg injury.
    Source - Click here

  • #2
    Thorpe is a very good evaluator of talent, and what he didn't hit on is that Davis seems to have a real sense of professionalism and pride in him. He wants to get better as a pro, and he understands what it takes to be a pro.
    Davis, DeRozen and Bayless are the untouchables on this team.
    Ship everyone else out and bring on the 10-day contracts! (only partly kidding)

    Comment


    • #3
      Ed is going to be a total stud. Amir should be sweating bullets.

      Comment


      • #4
        Apollo wrote: View Post
        Ed is going to be a total stud. Amir should be sweating bullets.
        I disagree with Amir sweating bullets. The Raptors need one more C to set up a young and dominant PF/C rotation. This is why I wish nothing more than for the Raptors to get a JaVale McGee (i.e. young athletic defensive C).

        Between injuries and different match ups throughout an NBA season there would be plenty of minutes to go around.

        Bargs is 25, Amir is 23, and Davis is 21. Add one more young player <25 and you have a diverse group that can play together and compliment one another for the next 5 years.

        I hate to say it as there is already a thread on this somewhere, but a healthy Greg Oden would be great. He would not be able to play huge minutes anyways. 20 minutes a game from a healhty Oden would be awesome. Probably never going to happen. Gambles sometimes do payoff though - Darko in MInny anyone?

        Comment


        • #5
          Matt52 wrote: View Post
          a healthy Greg Oden would be great.
          There is no such thing. I'd like to see Marreese Speights playing in Toronto.

          Comment


          • #6
            Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I disagree with Amir sweating bullets. The Raptors need one more C to set up a young and dominant PF/C rotation. This is why I wish nothing more than for the Raptors to get a JaVale McGee (i.e. young athletic defensive C).

            Between injuries and different match ups throughout an NBA season there would be plenty of minutes to go around.

            Bargs is 25, Amir is 23, and Davis is 21. Add one more young player <25 and you have a diverse group that can play together and compliment one another for the next 5 years.

            I hate to say it as there is already a thread on this somewhere, but a healthy Greg Oden would be great. He would not be able to play huge minutes anyways. 20 minutes a game from a healhty Oden would be awesome. Probably never going to happen. Gambles sometimes do payoff though - Darko in MInny anyone?
            Personally I think we need an older centre to guide the young guys along. A no-nonsense kind of guy like Oakley was back in the day, although I can't think of anyone like that in the league right now.

            Man, Stern really did a great job pansifying this league.

            Comment


            • #7
              Chandler would have been PERFECT for Davis' development. For him to see that passion and energy everynight could only be contagious for a young cat like him.

              On another note, Apollo mentioned Marreese Speights, and I've been very high on him for some time now, but whats going on with this numbers this year? Not what I expected to see.
              I still agree that he would fit right in with this team, but perhaps if Davis can put 25lbs of DwightHoward on him, we could just put him at the 5. He's already leading the team in blocks, and rebounds per48. (I may have made that up? Not sure.)

              On ANOTHER side note, Greg Oden is more Fragile then Humpty Dumpty and Butterflies.

              Comment


              • #8
                2009 draft will be remembered for all the great point guards that were drafted (Rubio, Flynn, Curry, Jennings, Holiday, Collison, Lawson and Beaubois )

                2010 draft will be remembered for all the great big men that were drafted (Favors, Cousins , Monroe, Davis, and Patterson)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Aminu will be better than Davis.

                  You can bank on it.

                  You can watch the Clippers led by Blake and EJ at the ACC on Feb 13th.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                  Memories some so sweet, indeed

                  Larger Photo of the avatar



                  “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                    Aminu will be better than Davis.

                    You can bank on it.

                    You can watch the Clippers led by Blake and EJ at the ACC on Feb 13th.
                    I disagree. He would have been better, but the Clippers are ruining him. He used to be an inside presence and a prolific rebounder. Now he hits threes. Davis can become great, one day he might even lead the league in rebounds and blocks. I don't think Aminu will.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We need ED to be good enough to cover for Bargnani on the defensive end of the floor. That's the only way both play together. Otherwise ED's only a backup. Hopefully he has it in him because he does have defensive instincts we're not used to seeing in Raps players.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hah, J-Roc, you wickety-wickety whack. nawmsayin. nawmsayin? Wizoooord.
                        But yes I agree Ed has shown above average defensive insticts, and I think he'll be a solid starter.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Actually I know it is knit picking but Thorpe like a lot of people uses the term "steal" incorrectly.

                          To steal something is not only to take what doesn't belong to you but it involves taking something that most people would think you wouldn't take before you actually stole it. Though the second condition is not a necessary condition to "steal" something.

                          So in the case of drafting basketball players.

                          Davis was available at #13 however most people figured that the Raptors would take him at that point since he was still available so they were not not stealing anything. To say that no one figured he would fall to #13 does not mean the Raptors stole him, because you have to take possession of something in order to have stolen it. So the "stealing" if it were to occur would have to happen at the moment that the pick was made irrespective of whether or not people thought before the draft that that player would be available at that pick.

                          An example of "stealing" someone in the draft would be to draft someone that no one expected to be drafted that high and then the player turned out to better than "most" everyone else taken after him.

                          So Davis was not the steal of the lottery because by the time the Raptors actually drafted him almost everyone thought that Davis would be the Raptors pick.

                          In looking at the actual lottery picks it appears that there was no "steals" in the 2010 draft among the lottery picks: i.e. that there was no lottery pick that was not expected to go as high as they did at the time that they were actually picked and is playing better than every lottery pick after him.
                          Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                          Memories some so sweet, indeed

                          Larger Photo of the avatar



                          “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            In the sports world I thought it was pretty commonly accepted that when discussing the draft, "steal" means drafting a guy who is worth far more than one would expect to get at their current draft position. Just as when someone gets a below market price for a car typical commentary would be "wow, you got a total steal on that car."
                            Last edited by Apollo; Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 12:19 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              Actually I know it is knit picking but Thorpe like a lot of people uses the term "steal" incorrectly.

                              To steal something is not only to take what doesn't belong to you but it involves taking something that most people would think you wouldn't take before you actually stole it. Though the second condition is not a necessary condition to "steal" something.

                              So in the case of drafting basketball players.

                              Davis was available at #13 however most people figured that the Raptors would take him at that point since he was still available so they were not not stealing anything. To say that no one figured he would fall to #13 does not mean the Raptors stole him, because you have to take possession of something in order to have stolen it. So the "stealing" if it were to occur would have to happen at the moment that the pick was made irrespective of whether or not people thought before the draft that that player would be available at that pick.

                              An example of "stealing" someone in the draft would be to draft someone that no one expected to be drafted that high and then the player turned out to better than "most" everyone else taken after him.

                              So Davis was not the steal of the lottery because by the time the Raptors actually drafted him almost everyone thought that Davis would be the Raptors pick.

                              In looking at the actual lottery picks it appears that there was no "steals" in the 2010 draft among the lottery picks: i.e. that there was no lottery pick that was not expected to go as high as they did at the time that they were actually picked and is playing better than every lottery pick after him.
                              Ed Davis was a steal, considering what the 12 players picked ahead of him have been able to do.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X