Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thorpe: "Davis Might End Up Being the Steal of the Lottery."

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    In the sports world I thought it was pretty commonly accepted that when discussing the draft, "steal" means drafting a guy who is worth far more than one would expect to get at their current draft position. Just as when someone gets a below market price for a car typical commentary would be "wow, you got a total steal on that car."
    Just because it is commonly accepted does not mean that it is correct. Geez

    For centuries it was commonly accepted that the world was flat.

    For decades it was commonly accepted that cocaine was good for you. Where do you think the name Coca Cola comes?

    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Jan 8, 2011, 02:16 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

    Comment


    • #17
      JoePanini wrote: View Post
      Ed Davis was a steal, considering what the 12 players picked ahead of him have been able to do.
      Davis was not a steal.

      Get over it.

      He was a mistake by about a half a dozen teams that drafted ahead of the Raptors but didn't take him.

      BC was smart enough not to make the same dumb mistake.

      BC and the Raptors did not get a steal in him.

      They benefited by other GMs stupidity.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

      Memories some so sweet, indeed

      Larger Photo of the avatar



      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

      Comment


      • #18
        Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        Actually I know it is knit picking but Thorpe like a lot of people uses the term "steal" incorrectly.

        To steal something is not only to take what doesn't belong to you but it involves taking something that most people would think you wouldn't take before you actually stole it. Though the second condition is not a necessary condition to "steal" something.

        So in the case of drafting basketball players.

        Davis was available at #13 however most people figured that the Raptors would take him at that point since he was still available so they were not not stealing anything. To say that no one figured he would fall to #13 does not mean the Raptors stole him, because you have to take possession of something in order to have stolen it. So the "stealing" if it were to occur would have to happen at the moment that the pick was made irrespective of whether or not people thought before the draft that that player would be available at that pick.

        An example of "stealing" someone in the draft would be to draft someone that no one expected to be drafted that high and then the player turned out to better than "most" everyone else taken after him.

        So Davis was not the steal of the lottery because by the time the Raptors actually drafted him almost everyone thought that Davis would be the Raptors pick.

        In looking at the actual lottery picks it appears that there was no "steals" in the 2010 draft among the lottery picks: i.e. that there was no lottery pick that was not expected to go as high as they did at the time that they were actually picked and is playing better than every lottery pick after him.
        Yaa... Sorry Buddah this just reads like a whole lot of BS. haha Apollo nailed it.
        Thorpe mentions Fields as the steal of the draft. A second round pick FAR exceding his perceived value prior to draft night.
        In hindsight, Fields would have been drafted maybe 5th or 6th. Not 50th.
        Thus the Knicks 'stole' him from the 50 teams that could have had him, and likely would have taken him, had they 'known'.

        Ed Davis being the 'steal of the Lottery', means that in hindsight, of all Lottery Picks, Ed Davis would have likely been selected much higher then 13th among them.
        Thus the Raptors 'stole' him from the 12 teams that could have had him to themselves.

        Y'dig?

        Comment


        • #19
          Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          Just because it is commonly accepted does not mean that it is correct. Geez

          For centuries it was commonly accepted that the world was flat.

          For decades it was commonly accepted that cocaine was good for you. Where do you think the name Coca Cola comes?
          I'll take the majority rule on this one and saying that your definition is wrong...

          joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Yaa... Sorry Buddah this just reads like a whole lot of BS. haha Apollo nailed it.
          Thorpe mentions Fields as the steal of the draft. A second round pick FAR exceding his perceived value prior to draft night.
          In hindsight, Fields would have been drafted maybe 5th or 6th. Not 50th.
          Thus the Knicks 'stole' him from the 50 teams that could have had him, and likely would have taken him, had they 'known'.

          Ed Davis being the 'steal of the Lottery', means that in hindsight, of all Lottery Picks, Ed Davis would have likely been selected much higher then 13th among them.
          Thus the Raptors 'stole' him from the 12 teams that could have had him to themselves.

          Y'dig?
          I agree 100%
          Last edited by Apollo; Sat Jan 8, 2011, 05:07 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            I picked up Davis in the RR fantasy league a couple weeks ago. Just looking at some stats over the past 14 days. 7PPG, 6REB, 2BLK, 1 STL and close to 60% FG. That's an impressive stat line for a guy who is only averaging 22 minutes over those two weeks. He's also, for the most part, playing within himself as he's not turning the ball over often and with the exception of the odd game he's not been getting into foul trouble.

            Comment


            • #21
              Apollo wrote: View Post
              I picked up Davis in the RR fantasy league a couple weeks ago. Just looking at some stats over the past 14 days. 7PPG, 6REB, 2BLK, 1 STL and close to 60% FG. That's an impressive stat line for a guy who is only averaging 22 minutes over those two weeks. He's also, for the most part, playing within himself as he's not turning the ball over often and with the exception of the odd game he's not been getting into foul trouble.
              He is the future of this franchise. Even if he doesn't have a very flashy style of play, he is very smart and has all the fundamentals for a great PF. He's like Tim Duncan (although being as great as him would be pretty far fetched, but he could be close). Although I'm an avid Bargnani supporter, and for now he is the face of the franchise. But as soon as Ed matures and gets starter minutes I think he will be the franchise.

              Comment

              Working...
              X