Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do the Raptors suck?

lack of self-confidence?

idk man, i want us to win a championship soo bad but these guys can't get anything good to happen. We have terrible luck and a fucking millionaire guest list of injuries.

Comment

Because they are very young, have no upper level talent, have no identity on either end of the court and are simply a cheap place holder waiting for another year.
      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I don't buy that 'young team' argument. Portland have a younger team and are doing really well in the western conference. The main reasons are its difficult to attract top free agents here and some really bad decisions from our GM over the years.

Comment

We don't play defense.

Comment

Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
            lack of self-confidence?
            Lack of developed talent. Lack of star power. Lack of experience. Lack of leadership. Lack of toughness. As this should be expected from a rebuilding team I guess...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Lack of developed talent. Lack of star power. Lack of experience. Lack of leadership. Lack of toughness. As this should be expected from a rebuilding team I guess...
              We aren't rebuilding, we are retooling.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                I don't buy that 'young team' argument. Portland have a younger team and are doing really well in the western conference. The main reasons are its difficult to attract top free agents here and some really bad decisions from our GM over the years.
                if its young by age, then you are right, portland is a young team and they are doing quite well in the western conference. but you have to note that these guys have been together for 3-5 years now, compared to the raps who are young as well, but have only been together for a full season.

difficult to attract FAs, yes. bad decisions by the GM? no. bad outcome from these decisions, yes.

Comment

Why the Raptors suck is really simple to explain at least on the surface.

According to this morning blog by Dino Nation the Raptors are 10 - 1 when they out shoot, ie. have a higher FG% then their opponents.

The Raptors as a team shoot fairly well. They currently rank 9th with a team FG% of .466 which is actually just ahead of the Lakers. Boston of course is #1 in team FG%

However in defensive FG% the Raptors currently rank dead last allowing opponents to shoot an astronomically high .492%

So the Raptors sucking has nothing to do with lack of star power or rebounding.

It has to do with the fact that the Raptors as a team can not play defense period.

Basketball is really a simple game on the surface. The object is to put the ball in the basket. So teams that do that better job of that than their opponents usually win more than they lose.

So the question is. Why can't the Raptors stop opponents from shooting so good against them?

1. Bad defensive schemes
                  2. Inexperience, because it takes NBA experience to learn how to play NBA team defense. Very few players, especially those with only a year or so of college ball come into the NBA knowing how to play team defense.
                  3. Lack of talent - Just like it takes certain skills to be able to shoot well it takes certain skills to be able to defend well.
                  4. Lack of effort on defense
                  5. Lack of communication on defense
                  6. All of the above
                  7. All of the above plus some other reasons not mentioned

BC needs to weed out the guys who don't and/or can't play defense and replace them with players that can shoot good and play defense.
                  Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Jan 9, 2011, 12:13 PM.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                    difficult to attract FAs, yes. bad decisions by the GM? no. bad outcome from these decisions, yes.
                    Agreed. Look at Hedo. 17 assists last night. He looks like Hero Hedo we thought was coming to TO. I think Colangelo has done a great job but players come and flop on us.

Besides that, I think defense is harder to learn than offense. The only glory on defense is getting a block. Anyone actually watch the top ten steals of the week? Probably only a few and they are probably doing it just because they're bored. Team defense and getting a shot-clock violation on the other team doesn't give anyone glory. Offense does. So most of these guys have learned offense and have to now learn defense to take it to the next level. I think that it's what they should focus on the most as a coaching staff until the end of april above anything else. Defense defense defense. Guys like Wright are natural one on one defenders because they have 7'2 arm spans whcih is just sick. However, keepin your man in front of you and knowing when and when not to help is hard to learn and it'll take a while. That's the painful part of being a Raptor fan right now.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      Why the Raptors suck is really simple to explain at least on the surface.

According to this morning blog by Dino Nation the Raptors are 10 - 1 when they out shoot, ie. have a higher FG% then their opponents.

The Raptors as a team shoot fairly well. They currently rank 9th with a team FG% of .466 which is actually just ahead of the Lakers. Boston of course is #1 in team FG%

However in defensive FG% the Raptors currently rank dead last allowing opponents to shoot an astronomically high .492%

So the Raptors sucking has nothing to do with lack of star power or rebounding.

It has to do with the fact that the Raptors as a team can not play defense period.

Basketball is really a simple game on the surface. The object is to put the ball in the basket. So teams that do that better job of that than their opponents usually win more than they lose.

So the question is. Why can't the Raptors stop opponents from shooting so good against them?

1. Bad defensive schemes
                      2. Inexperience, because it takes NBA experience to learn how to play NBA team defense. Very few players, especially those with only a year or so of college ball come into the NBA knowing how to play team defense.
                      3. Lack of talent - Just like it takes certain skills to be able to shoot well it takes certain skills to be able to defend well.
                      4. Lack of effort on defense
                      5. Lack of communication on defense
                      6. All of the above
                      7. All of the above plus some other reasons not mentioned

BC needs to weed out the guys who don't and/or can't play defense and replace them with players that can shoot good and play defense.
                      You could have saved all those paragraphs and just wrote: "We need 5 Amir Johnsons on the floor"

Comment

They definitely need a defensive center who can rebound and block/adjust shoots. Their biggest liability is defense. As subpar as their wing defense is, I think the post defense is even worse. Plus Amir continues to big up dumb fouls, Ed Davis body is still too skinny and Bargnani doesn't even know what a rebound is.

The Raptors can score but their offensive schemes seem very stagnant at time. Can't just pass it to Bargnani on the wing and stare when he is playing one on one offense. Calderon's play has been decent but still doesn't justify his salary.

I like Triano but am curious how this team would perform with another coach. Triano doesn't seem to make good adjustments. The player rotation is very predictable. I'd recommend trying to get a tough a$$ defensive coach and move Triano to an assistant.

So Summary:

- Obtain defensive center (Chandler, Marc Gasol, etc.) to improve interior defense.
                        - Improve offensive system so it isn't so stagnant.
                        - Get a defensive minded coach and move Triano to assistant.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                          You could have saved all those paragraphs and just wrote: "We need 5 Amir Johnsons on the floor"
                          I appreciate the humor but that is not the case.

I would settle for this.

Blake
                          L. James
                          D. Jordan
                          EJ - Eric Gordon EJ is his nickname and it stands for Eric Jr.
                          D. Rose

That starting unit would be pretty awesome for years to come.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                            Really? care to place a wager on that?

Portlands top 8:

Andre Miller - 11 years pro
                            Wes Matthews - 1 year pro (coached by Jerry Sloan last year)
                            Brandon Roy - 4 years pro
                            Marcus Camby - 14 years pro
                            LaMarcus Aldridge - 4 years pro
                            Nic Batum - 2 years pro (+3 years pro ball in France)
                            Rudy Fernandez - 2 years pro (+ 7 years pro ball in Spain)
                            Joel Pryzbilla - 10 years pro

Raps top 8:

JC - 5 year pro, + 7 in Spain
                            DD - 1 year pro
                            LK - 4 years pro, +1 in europe
                            AB - 4 years pro, + 4 in italy
                            AJ - 5 years pro, drafted in 2nd rnd directly from HS, played limited minutes first 3 years
                            SW - 3 year pro, barely played in y1
                            ED - Rookie, half a season at NC
                            LB - 7 year pro + 2 years pro in brazil

Portland is lead by steady vets, have a now broken superstar in BRoy, have had steady coaching and Aldridge has gone into straight Beast mode this year. Oh, and overall are older, more experienced and generally more talented than Toronto.
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

LOL at all the responses.... the source of Raps suckiness is certainly one of life's great mysteries

Seriously though, I'd say: THEY DONT HAVE A SUPERSTAR PLAYER

I saw Chicago beat Boston yesterday. The very same team that just clowned with the Raps on Friday. Boston came out doing the same thing, executing perfectly, etc....but Chicago has Rose who if he puts his mind to it, can get to the line or score anytime he wants. They were able to withstand Boston early surge and eventually pulled away and won.

If you have a player like that, you're always going to have at least a good team, and possibly great team.

Comment

Working...
                              X