Why do the Raptors suck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add to the point:

Watch in 1-2 years.....Washington (because of John Wall) is going to be a team to be reckoned with.

"they're too young" "not enough talent" "their GM is crazy" etc wont matter......They have that one SICK player, they will be good at the very least

You add proper players around him, you have a championship contender. Its that simple.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
      We aren't rebuilding, we are retooling.
      Yeah and the Queen of England is French.

Comment

Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
        LOL at all the responses.... the source of Raps suckiness is certainly one of life's great mysteries

Seriously though, I'd say: THEY DONT HAVE A SUPERSTAR PLAYER

I saw Chicago beat Boston yesterday. The very same team that just clowned with the Raps on Friday. Boston came out doing the same thing, executing perfectly, etc....but Chicago has Rose who if he puts his mind to it, can get to the line or score anytime he wants. They were able to withstand Boston early surge and eventually pulled away and won.

If you have a player like that, you're always going to have at least a good team, and possibly great team.
        Rose was as good as ever, no doubt, but it's the 79 points allowed that got them the win, much like our victory in Dallas; it's all about defense and rebounding in this game.

Comment

Inexperience, poor coaching, soft defense, inconsistent rebounding, too many new faces, etc... I could go on and on, but it all starts with the coach whose job it is to get players to understand that the game is won by playing team defense and clearing the glass.

Comment

To be a good team in the L, you have to play with consistancy. To say the Raptors suck is pretty ridiculous, they have the talent to hang with pretty much any team in the L on any given night. But they are too inexperienced mentally to achieve this. This is far from a losing year, look at Derozan going off the charts right now. He had time to comfortably come into the league, get minutes, and now he's looks to be a key piece of the future, and exactly the player we need; same goes for Ed Davis. This team loosely resemble what they've done in OKC. The future looks very bright in Toronto, get us a key free agent or a solid draft pick and we are sailing into the future.

Comment

jamesk wrote: View Post
              Rose was as good as ever, no doubt, but it's the 79 points allowed that got them the win, much like our victory in Dallas; it's all about defense and rebounding in this game.
              No but they can hang with any team in the league, and are generally a good team because of Rose. You need defense too, you also need secondary scoring etc to win, but it all starts with that one all around superstar.

Just watch what happens with the Wizards. They have not done anything "better" than the Raps, Indy, Charlotte, etc. But they just got lucky and hit the jackpot. Now they have that one superstar in the making, and they will be the next good team in the East within 2-3 years.

Comment

Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
                lack of self-confidence?
                How about not understanding the word defense(Do they even know what D stands for? lol)?

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
                  How about not understanding the word defense(Do they even know what D stands for? lol)?
                  But even at Pheonix' height of success they were consistently ranked 27-30 in defense. It is possible to win during the regular season while still playing little to no defense. It still comes down to out scoring the opponent. Andrea/Demar need to just develop as clutch players who can take over the game for us when we need a play or a basket. And Sacremento on Sunday was a perfect example of those two carrying us.
                  Not saying the Raptors have the talent the Suns did, but still. It's possible. haha

Comment

666 wrote: View Post
                    They definitely need a defensive center who can rebound and block/adjust shoots. Their biggest liability is defense. As subpar as their wing defense is, I think the post defense is even worse. Plus Amir continues to big up dumb fouls, Ed Davis body is still too skinny and Bargnani doesn't even know what a rebound is.

The Raptors can score but their offensive schemes seem very stagnant at time. Can't just pass it to Bargnani on the wing and stare when he is playing one on one offense. Calderon's play has been decent but still doesn't justify his salary.

I like Triano but am curious how this team would perform with another coach. Triano doesn't seem to make good adjustments. The player rotation is very predictable. I'd recommend trying to get a tough a$$ defensive coach and move Triano to an assistant.

So Summary:

- Obtain defensive center (Chandler, Marc Gasol, etc.) to improve interior defense.
                    - Improve offensive system so it isn't so stagnant.
                    - Get a defensive minded coach and move Triano to assistant.
                    +1 on the last 3 points.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      But even at Pheonix' height of success they were consistently ranked 27-30 in defense. It is possible to win during the regular season while still playing little to no defense. It still comes down to out scoring the opponent. Andrea/Demar need to just develop as clutch players who can take over the game for us when we need a play or a basket. And Sacremento on Sunday was a perfect example of those two carrying us.
                      Not saying the Raptors have the talent the Suns did, but still. It's possible. haha
                      And what have they won in the post-season? Nothing. nada. lol. I laugh when people point to the Phoenix Suns. I can bet that if those Phoenix teams had some defence, Steve Nash would have had a ring instead of riding into the sunset, a ringless(lol) hall-of-famer.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
                        And what have they won in the post-season? Nothing. nada. lol. I laugh when people point to the Phoenix Suns. I can bet that if those Phoenix teams had some defence, Steve Nash would have had a ring instead of riding into the sunset, a ringless(lol) hall-of-famer.
                        Well I just don't really think we are in any position to be talking about 'winning in the post-season'. Hence why I pointed to the regular season. Which is the only place we will be playing games this year at least. Obviously if they could play better defense it would be great, but the pieces we have just don't lend itself to great defense. So we must work with what we have. Which is offense. And clearly lots of it.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Yeah and the Queen of England is French.
                          German!
                          "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
                          -Newsradio

Comment

Defense. Interior defense. We beat Sacramento, the worst team in the league, by six points in Toronto. We had to score 118 to win. We gave up 112 points to the worst offensive team in the NBA. Udrih played well but I wonder what the result would've been with Tyreke Evans playing.

We couldn't contain a volatile Cousins and even at PF, Carl Landry and Jason Thompson scored 22 and 19 respectively.

The number #1 priority is by far to obtain a defensive minded center.

Comment

coaching:

everyone agrees that we need to play better defense, well having our defensive players sit on the bench is not helping the situation.

the argument that our defensive players need to sit on the bench because they are liabilities on offense is BS, run better sets! Anyone can make a wide open lay-up.

as 666 said we just played the kings with no Evans and they still score 100+ points, I don't care if we won that is unacceptable.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                                coaching:

everyone agrees that we need to play better defense, well having our defensive players sit on the bench is not helping the situation.

the argument that our defensive players need to sit on the bench because they are liabilities on offense is BS, run better sets! Anyone can make a wide open lay-up.

as 666 said we just played the kings with no Evans and they still score 100+ points, I don't care if we won that is unacceptable.
                                Unacceptable? What are you writing the cheques? We're still a BAD team!! I think people forget that. We're young. And frankly, bad. Not AS bad as some teams, but still. Who's saying we should be up there with the Lakers and Miami and Orlando in terms of Defense. WE AREN'T! But we WON! Geezus, this is unbelievable. Some people are never happy.
                                We simply don't have the defensive pieces. And yes JuJu is solid, but I don't care what you say, he's not stopping them from scoring the points they did. They were shooting lights out for 3 quarters. But they played D when it counts and won the game.

Would you rather them hold the Kings to 80 but lose?

Comment

Working...
                                X