Melo trade: makes Bosh deal way worse than Carter deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
    No its not a crystal ball. Were YOU surprised when Bosh didn't resign?
    oh, you havent read my posts before. i fuckin hate bosh. it's not a matter of surprise... its a matter of me praying his ass would leave despite what he was saying.

if we got a bucket of chicken and biscuits for bosh, i would have thought we were robbing the heat.

Comment

A couple hypotheticals: 1: if Anthony were to nix the Nets and insist on going to New York, Denver would probably get back even less than what the Raptors got from Miami. 2: If Bosh had been willing to go to Houston, the rumoured return that Houston was offering would have been pretty similar to what Denver is getting.

That's basically the difference between the two situations: Denver found a buyer that's willing to overpay and has the assets to do so, and which Anthony is willing to go to; Colangelo might have found a buyer for Bosh who was willing to overpay, but it was moot point because Bosh had only one destination in mind.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
        First of all, Bosh never led on anybody to believe he was going to re-up with Toronto as a preferred destination. He repeatedly stated that he was keeping his all his options open, and that the Raptors were one of the teams he would consider. Secondly, pretty much everybody in the basketball world was convinced that Bosh would not choose Toronto. Even a full year before his free agent year, they were having polls and such, and most people were convinced he was going to NY or Miami.

Therefore, it is valid to suggest that BC mis-read the situaion and was betting the future on a scenario that had very low probability. BC was actually going against the grain of popular opinion on what most people predicted would happen. They were right and BC was wrong.

Check out these articles from 2009....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...s09-BoshFuture

http://stephenablog.typepad.com/step...02/boshed.html
        Carmelo Anthony - December 2010:
        "I'm not Chris Bosh."

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          That trade sounds nice for the Nuggets but it doesn't even remotely make the Bosh deal look like the Carter deal. First off the Carter deal involved two scrubs, a guy who publicly threatened not to show if he were traded to Toronto and some crappy picks. The Bosh deal gave the Raptor free money to use how they saw fit. No horrible Zo buyouts required, no listening to Eric Williams bitch about not getting PT and how much he hates Toronto and no watching Aaron Williams do little of anything. Second, Carter was locked into many years but Bosh was a free agent. The Raptors didn't have any leverage with Bosh but still came out with something. Moving on, Melo is a far superior player to Chris Bosh. The Nuggets deserve more from him than what the Raptors got for Bosh. Finally, the Nuggets are in a much better situation than the Raptors were. Melo isn't colluding with other stars in some sort of basketball coup. He wants to play in a bigger market and his decision isn't hinging on two other much bigger stars, he's the biggest star on the market this summer. He decides how the dominos fall. Teams talking to the Nuggets aren't gutted like the Heat were. Colangelo got all he could of what Miami had left. He could have pulled the trigger last season but who's to say teams were offering more than he got in the summer? Bosh was not willing to show his cards and so who's going to sell the farm for a non-committal superego? We'll never know.

One more thing. Do you remember the roster the season after Carter was traded? It was f'in horrible. Zo was eating Raptors cap to play in Miami. Eric Williams was a cancer in the locker room and Aaron Williams a worthless player on a worthless team. This Raptors team is far better than that Raptors team. Things could be a lot worse.
          Ok not way worse, but it has to be at least in the same ballpark.

If BC handled it properly (ie. traded him earlier) he could have gotten a more significant return for Bosh compared to what he got last summer after he had no leverage.

The team was worse off after the Carter deal, but if Babcock had gotten Richard Jefferson in that deal with all of that junk, it would be considered an acceptable deal.

BC left as much just go to waste by the way he handled it.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
            First of all, Bosh never led on anybody to believe he was going to re-up with Toronto as a preferred destination. He repeatedly stated that he was keeping his all his options open, and that the Raptors were one of the teams he would consider. Secondly, pretty much everybody in the basketball world was convinced that Bosh would not choose Toronto. Even a full year before his free agent year, they were having polls and such, and most people were convinced he was going to NY or Miami.

Therefore, it is valid to suggest that BC mis-read the situaion and was betting the future on a scenario that had very low probability. BC was actually going against the grain of popular opinion on what most people predicted would happen. They were right and BC was wrong.

Check out these articles from 2009....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...s09-BoshFuture

http://stephenablog.typepad.com/step...02/boshed.html
            Exactly, it was a really bad misjudgement. And IMO its on par with Babcock's beautiful trade.

Comment

You know a lot of this is speculation until the TPE is used or expires. As of now, Chris Bosh has returned:

2 1st round draft picks
              Jerryd Bayless

There is $12.2M of TPE remaining and a trade deadline and draft to go before it expires.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                oh, you havent read my posts before. i fuckin hate bosh. it's not a matter of surprise... its a matter of me praying his ass would leave despite what he was saying.

if we got a bucket of chicken and biscuits for bosh, i would have thought we were robbing the heat.
                Well our feelings of RuPaul aside...

He had a certain amount of asset value before his contract was up. BC's strategy of just letting that diminish is looking more and more of a bonehead move.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  You know a lot of this is speculation until the TPE is used or expires. As of now, Chris Bosh has returned:

2 1st round draft picks
                  Jerryd Bayless

There is $12.2M of TPE remaining and a trade deadline and draft to go before it expires.
                  BC is actually lucky that Riley gave him back his own pick. Imagine MIA taking Bosh and then cashing in on Raps miserable season by drafting with their high pick too? LOL I guess that would clearly put him ahead of Babcock on legendary bonehead status
                  Last edited by Ruuuuu; Mon Jan 10, 2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Not trying to be a smarta**, honest question: what are the projected spots of those 1st round picks?

Is it the Raps own pick and the MIA pick?

Wow BC is actually lucky that Riley gave him back his own pick. Imagine MIA taking Bosh and then cashing in on Raps miserable season by drafting with their high pick too? LOL I guess that would clearly put him ahead of Babcock on legendary bonehead status
                    You sure you're not trying to be a smarta**?

Here is BC's career as a GM: http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._colangelo.htm

Here is Rob Babcock's: http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/rob_babcock.htm

I cannot wait to see how the next 6 months plays out. I truly hope for the sake of Raptors fans everywhere BC has the last laugh - I think he will, btw.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      You sure you're not trying to be a smarta**?

Here is BC's career as a GM: http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._colangelo.htm

Here is Rob Babcock's: http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/rob_babcock.htm

I cannot wait to see how the next 6 months plays out. I truly hope for the sake of Raptors fans everywhere BC has the last laugh - I think he will, btw.
                      No really I didn't know which picks he got then I thought about it (thats why the post was edited). I edited it agian and just deleted that.

BC is definitely more talented than Babcock. I have pointed out BC's great trades in many threads but I have also been critical of his overall strategy. To put in superhero terms, he needs to make his powers work for good not evil.

But I maintain, his handling of the Bosh scenario now seems to be on par with Babcocks most bonehead moves.

Comment

Bosh refused to discuss an extension with the Raps or any other team...end of story. The Nuggets won't get jack if Melo doesn't ink an extension. Comparing this to Babcock/Carter is Babcockish.

Comment

Raptoronto wrote: View Post
                          Bosh refused to discuss an extension with the Raps or any other team...end of story. The Nuggets won't get jack if Melo doesn't ink an extension. Comparing this to Babcock/Carter is Babcockish.
                          If he refused to discuss an extension with the Raps, why not trade him to one of the big markets that was planning to make a run at multiple free agents (NY, NJ, CHI) and let them deal with the whole fiasco?

BC misplayed the situation...THATS the end of story

Comment

If he refused to discuss an extension with the Raps, why not trade him to one of the big markets that was planning to make a run at multiple free agents (NY, NJ, CHI) and let them deal with the whole fiasco?

Aye!

It was very clear even to the fans that Bosh was leaving. Letting him go for nothing was a bad move but GMs can get away with stuff like that.

Comment

Bosh refused to extend with ANY TEAM. NY, NJ and CHI would not pull the trigger without an extension and Bosh was not extending. No one was giving up anything of value for a rental as he was absolutely 100% set on testing free agency...we all now know why.

Comment

Kudos to 'Melo for being 'honest' and not 'being Chris Bosh' over this, but he still getting killed over the way he's acting this season. Either way, people in Denver are going to be just as angry at him as some Toronto fans are/were at Bosh.

And I'll never kill an athlete for 'lying' or 'misleading' management. There have been TONS of times where management has lied to players (see Calderon, Jose or Jack, Jarrett). Bosh isn't the reason this team is so irrelevant. The GM is. He made the conscious choice of not trading him at the deadline because (in The GM's words), they were in the playoffs at the trade deadline. It was HIS choice not to blow it up. And yeah, GMs aren't supposed to see into the future, but I would like to think that the GM of the team MIGHT have some insight on what's going on in a player's head and since everyone from Jalen Rose to Stephen A Smith was predicting 2 YEARS AGO that Bosh was good as gone and would be a little more prepared about these things. But hey, let's all hate on Bosh, who's the 3rd best player on the best team in the NBA (which puts him in a group including Robert Parrish, Tony Parker, Richard Hamilton, Dennis Rodman, Lamar Odom and Ray Allen) while we wait on The GM not to use the TPE and talk ourselves into the likes of Linas Klieza and Jerryd Bayless.

Comment

Working...
                                X