Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey
    replied
    Ya I for one am glad he's not turning out to be our next Kris Humphries. He takes good shots within the offense. He gets ZERO plays run for him, so when he scores, as I said above, its nothing but a bonus for the squad on the floor.

Leave a comment:

• Multipaul
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Not to mention that he plays within his abilities. He knows he's not a good shooter and so he keeps it close to the bucket. I don't see the offense hurting when he's on the floor. He doesn't need to score the ball from everywhere on the court, his thing is in the paint. We should hope and pray that he continues to center in on scoring in the paint and low post defense. When I hear all this criticism about Ed's and DeMar's mid-range and perimeter shooting I just have to chuckle. We've been watching this team play like London Silly Nannies for going on a decade and suddenly Colangelo starts bringing in guys who want to bang in the paint, who don't want to settle for jump shots, who want to play the odds and they get criticized for not being able to shoot outside. Give me a break. If they develop outside shooting then great, if not I don't give a crap as long as they keep improving around the bucket. Guys, jump shooting teams don't win Championships. Tough teams win championships. I want the guys looking for contact on my team. The Raptors have a great staff. Ed can learn shot mechanics but you can't teach his God given natural abilities.
    +1

The Raps have seen their fair share of players regress into average jump shooters...Vince..Jamario...heck, Sonny...keep these guys banging hard to the bucket. Hopefully soon they will "earn" the respect of the refs as Jack would say.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Not to mention that he plays within his abilities. He knows he's not a good shooter and so he keeps it close to the bucket. I don't see the offense hurting when he's on the floor. He doesn't need to score the ball from everywhere on the court, his thing is in the paint. We should hope and pray that he continues to center in on scoring in the paint and low post defense. When I hear all this criticism about Ed's and DeMar's mid-range and perimeter shooting I just have to chuckle. We've been watching this team play like London Silly Nannies for going on a decade and suddenly Colangelo starts bringing in guys who want to bang in the paint, who don't want to settle for jump shots, who want to play the odds and they get criticized for not being able to shoot outside. Give me a break. If they develop outside shooting then great, if not I don't give a crap as long as they keep improving around the bucket. Guys, jump shooting teams don't win Championships. Tough teams win championships. I want the guys looking for contact on my team. The Raptors have a great staff. Ed can learn shot mechanics but you can't teach his God given natural abilities.
    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jan 19, 2011, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Multipaul
    replied
    Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    So tell me you would give Oden an incomplete too?

I doubt that Blazers fans would give him an incomplete.

It is what it is at this point. You can't wipe away missed games because of injury in evaluating a player. Injuries are part of the game. Players like D. Fisher, A. Miller who never or rarely miss games at add a lot of value to their teams because of it.

I am hopeful Davis plays in all the remaining 41 games.

As far as his shooting goes it too is pretty much what it is. He had a NBA father and a great college program to teach him how to shoot.

In my book the "raw" doesn't apply to Davis. Lack of actual NBA experience yes but "raw" no, not when you have his background. There should be no excuses for him not being at least an average shooter from beyond nine feet. He has had plenty of opportunity to learn from the right people and so far despite years of it has not shown that it has made him an acceptable shooter from more than nine feet.

Of course like I said he does not have NBA experience so his shooting should improve somewhat as he gets more of it, but raw no way.
    Hey paeson, lets clear this up.

If your dad was a famous pastry chef, and you spent your childhood watching him bake pastry, and eating his biscuit mix, doesn't mean you will grow up to be Betty Crocker by default.

Ed has had to work hard, and it shows. Just cuz he went through a good college program and had a baller dad doesnt mean he should be a great shooter. Everyone is different, that's what makes the world great isnt it.

Leave a comment:

• heinz57
    replied
    chris wrote: View Post
    gary neal, one spot ahead of him. went to towson, who are dead last in the colonial. not exactly UNC pedigree.
    not to argue with you, but he was kind of a big deal the year he spent at Lasalle, before he got booted out and went to towson.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    huskies2raps wrote: View Post
    You can write all of reviews of Ed Davis as you want, but the fact is, we haven't even seen the kid play half the season yet due to early injuries, so how deep can you really dig into his play so far to give a grade as low as C? His offence, yes, still very raw and needs some work, but offence is not what the raptors are in need of - it is obviously D, and as soon as he steps on the floor, his presence on D is felt, and Appolo, I hope you're right about future all-star for Davis, because that would be a huge help to the Raps
    So tell me you would give Oden an incomplete too?

I doubt that Blazers fans would give him an incomplete.

It is what it is at this point. You can't wipe away missed games because of injury in evaluating a player. Injuries are part of the game. Players like D. Fisher, A. Miller who never or rarely miss games at add a lot of value to their teams because of it.

I am hopeful Davis plays in all the remaining 41 games.

As far as his shooting goes it too is pretty much what it is. He had a NBA father and a great college program to teach him how to shoot.

In my book the "raw" doesn't apply to Davis. Lack of actual NBA experience yes but "raw" no, not when you have his background. There should be no excuses for him not being at least an average shooter from beyond nine feet. He has had plenty of opportunity to learn from the right people and so far despite years of it has not shown that it has made him an acceptable shooter from more than nine feet.

Of course like I said he does not have NBA experience so his shooting should improve somewhat as he gets more of it, but raw no way.

Leave a comment:

• Roughhide
    replied
    Agreed on Paul George's talent level, I'm glad Indiana is finally starting to give him minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    chris wrote: View Post
    gary neal, one spot ahead of him. went to towson, who are dead last in the colonial. not exactly UNC pedigree. albeit he's averaging 9 and 3 in 19 minutes rather than 6 and 6 in 20, but whatever. he bounced around europe for three years too, so he is the epitome of not hyped/not 'ESPN Pedigree'/whatever your point is (but he is also 5th in ESPN's rookie rankings on their awards watch fwiw)

also your original post is an incoherent rant about ESPN and I just can't figure out what the hell that has to do with NBA.com, which is the source multipaul linked to.
    Gary Neal is not averaging only 6 ppg in just 24 games.

He is averaging 9 ppg over 41 games and playing for what could be the best team in the NBA with at least one HOF player and a HOF coach. So even though he doesn't come from an elite college he plays for an elite NBA team and gets plenty of national TV exposure.

I guess I should have said elite college or elite NBA team that gives the player a lot of national TV exposure.

Leave a comment:

• Multipaul
    replied
    I think he can be an All Star too. it is a BIG shame he got that injury and surgery in the summer. I would loved to have seen him come out gangbusters from the get go. Who knows how much the surgery has impeded his development as well.

Leave a comment:

• huskies2raps
    replied
    You can write all of reviews of Ed Davis as you want, but the fact is, we haven't even seen the kid play half the season yet due to early injuries, so how deep can you really dig into his play so far to give a grade as low as C? His offence, yes, still very raw and needs some work, but offence is not what the raptors are in need of - it is obviously D, and as soon as he steps on the floor, his presence on D is felt, and Appolo, I hope you're right about future all-star for Davis, because that would be a huge help to the Raps

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Good stuff. Davis' worst case is an above average role player. I think he has the talent to one day be an all-star.

Speaking of future all-stars, Paul George is going to be a beast. That kid is high on the talent meter.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    If he had played in all 41 games I would give him a B- also but I ding him for not being able to play because of the injury.

Davis is only averaging 11 points per 36 minutes in only 24 games for half a NBA season.

Of all the players in the league who have played over 500 minutes he is 198th out of 202 in points per 36 minutes. That is not very good

The garbageman is at 153rd out of 202.

I would hope that Davis can eventually average more points per 36 minutes than the garbageman
    If scoring points were something the Raptors struggled to do, then yes, I would see that as a big problem.
    But do you think Jay is telling Ed to go out there and get 20 points a game? No. I bet Jay has never even mentioned the Offensive side to him. Whatever points he gets is a bonus.
    Its his defense and positioning that make him a special player and NBA.com has recognized that.

And how does a guy being injured HURT his overall grade for the year? If anything it should help, knowing that he has far less in-game experience than ANY other rookie on the board, and is still contributing at a higher level.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    4. How many rookes from Div II colleges or some mediocre Division I program that are not lottery picks and don't have pedigree that are averaging 6 and 6 in 20 something games gets this kind of write up. Name me one. Go ahead.
    gary neal, one spot ahead of him. went to towson, who are dead last in the colonial. not exactly UNC pedigree. albeit he's averaging 9 and 3 in 19 minutes rather than 6 and 6 in 20, but whatever. he bounced around europe for three years too, so he is the epitome of not hyped/not 'ESPN Pedigree'/whatever your point is (but he is also 5th in ESPN's rookie rankings on their awards watch fwiw)

also your original post is an incoherent rant about ESPN and I just can't figure out what the hell that has to do with NBA.com, which is the source multipaul linked to.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    1. What does Jelly Bean Bryant have to do with this? I'm aware his dad played NBA ball. Thats not why everyone thinks he's amazing, or why he gets all the pub that he does.

2. I am aware he plays for the Lakers. Again, not sure what your point is. He's not the type of player he is, because of LA...

3. How have I compared Kobe and Ed Davis? Pretty sure I didn't. What actually happened, was I made a ridiculous, sweeping statement that is so obvious on the surface and in substance, so as to show you how silly your comment about Davis was.

4. And if you read what has been said about Davis on the Rookie Ladder for MANY weeks now, you will see that not only are the Rookies behind him not that great, but the Ladder makes its very clear that his consistency is not what he up there for. Its for the numbers he puts up within that 20mins of PT, and because he is doing what many Rookies WISH to be doing, while having played in far less games and while having far less in-game experience.

I think a 'B', maaybe a 'B-' is probably more fair; all things considered.
    But a difference of opinion is nothing new 'round these parts.
    If he had played in all 41 games I would give him a B- also but I ding him for not being able to play because of the injury.

Davis is only averaging 11 points per 36 minutes in only 24 games for half a NBA season.

Of all the players in the league who have played over 500 minutes he is 198th out of 202 in points per 36 minutes. That is not very good

The garbageman is at 153rd out of 202.

I would hope that Davis can eventually average more points per 36 minutes than the garbageman
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• heinz57
    replied
    joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    1. What does Jelly Bean Bryant have to do with this? I'm aware his dad played NBA ball. Thats not why everyone thinks he's amazing, or why he gets all the pub that he does.
    half his press has been about rape and tasting shaq's ass. those championships are minor footnotes in his career compared to the glorious chapter that was "kobe, tell me how my ass taste"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X