Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA.com Midseason Grades: Raptors D

http://www.nba.com/reportcard/midseason/2011/raptors/

Raps got a D overall....only team worse is the Cavs which got an F (LOL they fail as an NBA team).

Raps got an F on defense though. I cant find any other team among the bottom dwellers (except Cavs) that actually got an F on anything.

Pretty fair assessment when D is below average.

Their defense is failing. It started out promising but has gone to sh!t since. I had a lot of hope for PJ. I hope he and Triano can still find a way to get it done.

C for the front court is generous. Overall the SF slot has been dreadful.

C for the back court is generous given the inconsistencies for all guards (Jose, Barbo, DD, JB, Weems).

Comment

Ya I can't disagree with the assessment.
      I think at first there was an inkling that maybe we'll overachieve for the year; but I think we've fallen right back down to where most analysts had us projected.

We're not very good. That is obvious.
      We have a TON of potential, but I don't think that gets factored into the grades at all.

TWolves, Nets, Kings, Pistons, Rockets, Wizards all got a D, or D+.
      Bucks, Clippers, Warriors and Bobcats at a C-.

I think the Raptors are right where we belong with the D.
      Last edited by Joey; Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

There was one stretch where it seemed like the raptors had legitimate playoff hopes....they were playing with excitement every game...it seems like that passion and excitement have dissapeared - blame it on the injury bug or "lack of talent", but this just doesn't seem like the same raptor team that it was in the hunt for a playoff spot several weeks ago
        Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

No surprises here. My only beef with these things are this. Had the Raptors entered the season with high expectations, say 50 wins, and they were on pace to finish with 40 they would probably get a D because they fell far below what the media expected. The media didn't expect anything out of this team. Their win percentage has them winning 25-26 games this season. Frankly, that's more wins than most experts were predicting so they should be exceeding expectations right now and would thus deserve a higher grade. I know they've exceeded my expectations so far and I would give them a higher grade than D. All the young guys have taken steps forward except Sonny Weems. No surprise there for me.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Pretty fair assessment when D is below average.

Their defense is failing. It started out promising but has gone to sh!t since. I had a lot of hope for PJ. I hope he and Triano can still find a way to get it done.

C for the front court is generous. Overall the SF slot has been dreadful.

C for the back court is generous given the inconsistencies for all guards (Jose, Barbo, DD, JB, Weems).
            Last 6 games in order, points allowed with the most recent at the bottom

122 - Road
            112 - Home
            104 - Home
            101 - Home
            98- Road
            85 - Road

Very noticeable progress on defense since Triano has been playing Davis, Johnson and Bargnani together.

I would expect that the streak of giving up fewer points in each succeeding game will end tonight.

Also the last four games all losses have been by five or fewer points. Most likely that streak will also end tonight.
            Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:39 PM.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
              Last 6 games in order, points allowed with the most recent at the bottom

122 - Road vs Boston (99.8)
              112 - Home vs SAC (97.1)
              104 - Home vs ATL (98)
              101 - Home vs DET (96)
              98- Road vs WSH (96.9)
              85 - Road vs NOH (94)

Very noticeable progress on defense since Triano has been playing Davis, Johnson and Bargnani together.

I would expect that the streak of giving up fewer points in each succeeding game will end tonight.

Also the last four games all losses have been by five or fewer points. Most likely that streak will also end tonight.
              See my red above. The only team they kept below their season average was NOH. Keep in mind they are the 5th worst offensive team in the league but they still did it so congrats.

Johnson is not a SF. I do not agree with the progress - overall. Maybe in glimpses or flashes but not overall. From what I have read the coaches are hammering it home day in and day out so you can't fault them too much - but insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The players are most definitely to blame. Many of them have the physical abilities to play solid D but the majority do not - chaulk it up to inexperience and youth. A big part of the blame lays at BC's feet. I am sure this is recognized as a need and it will be itneresting to see the roster changes to be made this year at trade deadline, draft, and free agency.

Comment

Injuries would have more to do with us being on par of where we should be more than players efforts. This team plays hard and I've been impressed with them at every game (with the exception of a few blowouts that were ridiculous e.g. Detroit loss). If we had our roster full i'm sure we'd be in a more realistic position to fight for the playoffs.

That being said, I like the playing time the young onez are getting and I think the growth we've seen there will be invaluable going intothe future. Plus we'll get a lower lottery pick!

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
                  Injuries would have more to do with us being on par of where we should be more than players efforts. This team plays hard and I've been impressed with them at every game (with the exception of a few blowouts that were ridiculous e.g. Detroit loss). If we had our roster full i'm sure we'd be in a more realistic position to fight for the playoffs.

That being said, I like the playing time the young onez are getting and I think the growth we've seen there will be invaluable going intothe future. Plus we'll get a lower lottery pick!
                  I agree on the effort. This team, despite the losses, is much more exciting to watch and, as a fan, fun to follow than previous years. Despite the losses, as you said, the effort is usually there. The talent and experience is a work in progress. As has been mentioned before, take away Peja and Evans, and this is the second youngest team in the league.
                  Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Jan 19, 2011, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Well at least they dont need a heart transplant. Thats probably the difference between the Cavs and Raps. Considering the recent injuries I still admire most of them play hard. They may not be good enough but they play hard.

Now that I said that I hope they dont lie down tonight!

Comment

The Raptors suck defensively... but it hasn't always been that way. Looking strictly at points allowed here are the numbers for the last 4 seasons:
                      2007-2008: 97.3 (rank - 10th)
                      2008-2009: 101.9 (rank - 20th)
                      2009-2010: 105.9 (rank - tied for 27th)
                      2010-2011: 104.5 (rank - tied for 24th)

So what has happened?

Bargnani's playing time:
                      2007-2008: 23.9 mins
                      2008-2009: 31.4 mins
                      2009-2010: 35.0 mins
                      2010-2011: 35.5 mins

Calderon's playing time:
                      2007-2008: 30.3 mins
                      2008-2009: 34.3 mins
                      2009-2010: 26.7 mins
                      2010-2011: 29.1 mins

Coaches:
                      2007-2008: Mitchell
                      2008-2009: Mitchell/Triano (Dec 3, 2008)
                      2009-2010: Triano
                      2010-2011: Triano

Obviously there are other factors, but the defense has seemed to suffered with Bargnani getting more playing time and Triano taking over as head coach (even with the help of supposed defensive specalists like Iavaroni and PJ). Interesting to see that even with Calderon playing less since '08 the defence is still getting worse.

Comment

black angus wrote: View Post
                        The Raptors suck defensively... but it hasn't always been that way. Looking strictly at points allowed here are the numbers for the last 4 seasons:

So what has happened?

Bargnani's playing time:

Calderon's playing time:

Coaches:

Obviously there are other factors, but the defense has seemed to suffered with Bargnani getting more playing time and Triano taking over as head coach (even with the help of supposed defensive specalists like Iavaroni and PJ). Interesting to see that even with Calderon playing less since '08 the defence is still getting worse.
                        Though what you fail to mention is that there is, correct me if I'm wrong, a similar correlation with 'Points Scored' as well. Thats the name of the game, no? Obviously we're not winning, so its not working, but it should be acknowledged. We score alot more points under Triano. I think.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          No surprises here. My only beef with these things are this. Had the Raptors entered the season with high expectations, say 50 wins, and they were on pace to finish with 40 they would probably get a D because they fell far below what the media expected. The media didn't expect anything out of this team. Their win percentage has them winning 25-26 games this season. Frankly, that's more wins than most experts were predicting so they should be exceeding expectations right now and would thus deserve a higher grade. I know they've exceeded my expectations so far and I would give them a higher grade than D. All the young guys have taken steps forward except Sonny Weems. No surprise there for me.
                          I dont think they're grading relative to expectations...just as it stands right now, who is above/below average

Comment

black angus wrote: View Post

So what has happened?

Bargnani's playing time:

Calderon's playing time:

Coaches:

Its hard to explain how the Raps have had the worst defense in the league the last two years. I mean bad is one thing, but arguably the WORST 1-3 defense in the league?

They've had all different types of players. This year they're extremely athletic. They had different coaches. Triano knows X's and O's. Two different "defensive" assistant coaches Ivaroni/Carlessimo. Two different systems.....

Bargnani probably has to take a lot of the blame here - Because the Centre is supposed to anchor the defense

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Though what you fail to mention is that there is, correct me if I'm wrong, a similar correlation with 'Points Scored' as well. Thats the name of the game, no? Obviously we're not winning, so its not working, but it should be acknowledged. We score alot more points under Triano. I think.
                              The team has been scoring somewhat more - but the point differential is pretty bad - especially this year.

Point Differential:
                              2007-2008: +3.7 (12th)
                              2008-2009: -2.9 (22nd)
                              2009-2010: -1.8 (19th)
                              2010-2011: -4.4 (25th)

Comment

Working...
                              X