Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayless is happy here

Jerryd Bayless Is Finally Home

Usually when a team drafts a player generally considered to have All-Star potential, they hold onto that young man, but Toronto's Jerryd Bayless has played for three teams in his two-and-a-half year career. That's not easy for any player, let alone one trying to find his place in the league. That's hard enough to do when you're given an opportunity to play and succeed from Day 1, but Bayless has had to wait for his opportunity.

Thankfully for Bayless, it seems as though that opportunity has finally arrived with the Raptors.

"This is just a great situation from the standpoint that it's a younger team and a team that's still growing," Bayless said. "I've been in situations before where teams were already settled and I was just kind of thrown out there. This is something where I can grow, and hopefully it works out."

In his first 24 games with Toronto, Bayless is averaging career highs in points (9.8ppg) and assists (3.9apg), while playing over 20 minutes a night for the first time in his NBA life. The Raptors are struggling to rebuild, which is awful for the team's record, but great for a group of young players that need floor time in order to get better.

"The losing is the toughest part about it," Bayless added. "You look around the league at some of the other teams that have had to go through something similar, like an Oklahoma City or a Portland… It's something that you just have to push through and keep the positive thinking."

The Raps currently have the fourth-worst record in the Eastern conference, but that's not because they've fallen short of expectations; it's simply because they're a work in progress.

"It's just the learning aspect of it. It's something everybody has to go through," Bayless said. "You might not come out with a positive result at first, but it always hopefully ends up turning around later, and I think it will here."

As for what he and the rest of his team hope to accomplish for the rest of this season, they don't seem to believe that they're totally out of the playoff picture yet.

"I don't think this season is over by any stretch. We could easily go on a five or six game winning streak and things could turn around and start looking bright. We've just got to keep working and getting better every day. If we can do that, anything can happen."

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1BscZy5h4
    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Feb 16, 2011, 09:57 AM.

Nice find. I really do hope it works out here for him here. I like him. He attacks the basket more consistently than anyone else on the team besides MAYBE Barbosa and Demar. And Jay has been playing him along side Jose alot more, which allows him to do what he does best.
    He is getting better with his court vision, and having a guy like Jose can only make him better.

Was a great pickup. This trade actually got an honorable mention from SI.com as one of the best acquisitions in the offseason. (which doesn't make much sense since it was mid-season, but still. haha)

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Nice find. I really do hope it works out here for him here. I like him. He attacks the basket more consistently than anyone else on the team besides MAYBE Barbosa and Demar. And Jay has been playing him along side Jose alot more, which allows him to do what he does best.
      He is getting better with his court vision, and having a guy like Jose can only make him better.

Was a great pickup. This trade actually got an honorable mention from SI.com as one of the best acquisitions in the offseason. (which doesn't make much sense since it was mid-season, but still. haha)
      And averaging 3.9 assists in 20 mins is pretty good too. I think when he is forcing it he is trying to be the guy to make it happen versus let someone else get the assist. I'm not sure if that makes sense but think of the scoring in hockey - often it is the guy 2 passes away who made it all happen.

Comment

playing over 20 minutes a night for the first time in his NBA life
        This really needs to be emphasized.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
          This really needs to be emphasized.
          Agreed.
          However not compleetely accurate. Last year in the playoffs, he was playing quite a few minutes as well. Not sure off the top of my head how many, but consistent, good minutes; and he produced at a high level and opened alot of eyes. Getting a first round pick for him isn't completely shite, though.
          If Portland didn't have Wesley Matthews steppin' up, they'd be REAL sorry they made this move to free a spot up for OBERTO and a conditional pick. haha
          Last edited by Joey; Sun Jan 23, 2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

He was at one point, Portland's untouchable. He is playing hurt but will be a great player in two to three years time. He also needs to be surrounded by a cast the complements his skill and they need to be together for 3+ years. The NBA landscape is also changing with the new CBA looming beyond. The trend of superfriends coming together has started and will continue. Gone are the single star with 4 complementary players. BC should he be renewed, needs to understand this landscape. DeMar, Ed, and Amir are the core of this team along with Bayless. As a fan, that puts me to sleep at night. If we draft a top tier PG, even better.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

A quick check says that he got 27.7 minutes per game in the playoffs (2009-2010), and he did indeed produce, efficiently even. His DRat was 122 though, but being up against Nash probably had a lot to do with it. Idk if he started though.

Comment

I bet Portland is kicking themselves now, especially after losing Brandon Roy to knee surgery

Comment

I love Bayless' game. He is pretty turnover prone right now but I think the team is still getting used to him, and he is still trying to learn the limits of the other players. Everyone is so used to Jose, because he is always looking to pass the ball so they move for him. In the case of Bayless, because he is a scorer, the raptor players just stand there like idiots and watch him, and they show no motion or flashes to get open. Amir Johnson and Julian Wright are good players off the ball.

Give them a year to grow together and they will become the next OKC.

Bayless, Derozan, (Draft), Davis, Bargnani

Bargnani needs to go if we can trade him for a more defensive minded Big.

Comment

Bayless should be patterning his game after Monta Ellis. I think he has those kinds of tools.

Comment

DonCarlos wrote: View Post
                      Bayless should be patterning his game after Monta Ellis. I think he has those kinds of tools.
                      Was actually thinking the same thing myself. Not sure why people are insisting he be a pass first type player. We've got Jose for that. Let Jerryd play his game. Look at DRose; he is by no means a pass first PG, but it works for them.

Comment

DonCarlos wrote: View Post
                        AAAAHHHHH! Please, no. He should be patterning his game after Chauncey Billups. Ellis is an undersized 2 who scores but little else and has never been able to lead his team anywhere. Billups came into the league, like Bayless, as a 2 guard with some PG skills but basically needed to be converted. He's one of the few success stories in that regard. And he's a winner. If Bayless wants to have a successful career in the NBA, his best chance is to become a real PG.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Was actually thinking the same thing myself. Not sure why people are insisting he be a pass first type player. We've got Jose for that. Let Jerryd play his game. Look at DRose; he is by no means a pass first PG, but it works for them.
                          Rose isn't a pass first PG, but he's a true PG. He knows how to run and team and make his teammates better. Ellis knows how to shoot.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            Rose isn't a pass first PG, but he's a true PG. He knows how to run and team and make his teammates better. Ellis knows how to shoot.
                            I wasn't comparing them.
                            And technically Ellis only really learned to 'shoot' this year. His main weapon is attacking the basket, which if you watch him, he is probably one of the best in the game. As is Rose. So perhaps you could use that comparison.
                            Ellis isn't even a PG. I just like his game and see that Jerryd has the same tenacious attacking ability and both are undersized tweeners. Bayless is young and if put in a position to lead a team (look back to the Detroit game he won by himself) I think he is more than capable when called upon. I agree that he should try to look at guys like Billups, that is a very good 'mentor' for him, I agree. But he still has to play his game. Which is attacking.
                            Last edited by Joey; Sun Jan 23, 2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Nice to hear his attitude is still good and he isn't pointing fingers at anyone considering their losing streak. His comment about going on a 5 or 6 game winning streak is something that's hard to comprehend at the moment but someone has to believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. Is there anyone on this team that can really make a difference and play consistently well on both sides of the ball for 5-6 games in a row? The opportunity to endear themselves to a lot of fans as well as teammates is there for the taking.

Comment

Working...
                              X