Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colangelo's Job Safe Long Term? (New article referenced in post #115)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo's Job Safe Long Term? (New article referenced in post #115)

An article from the NY Post. First the B.S.

Bryan Colangelo is on the final year of his contract as Raptors president and someone who used to work for the franchise (no, not Isiah Thomas, no, not Butch Carter, no, aw, forget it) claims he's in danger of being released when it expires June 30 or possibly months earlier.
    The B.S. continued through the obvious NY Post direction about how this means Colangelo probably could potentially may come to New York. Typical Vecsey nonsense...

Oddly enough he talked to someone else instead of dropping an inaccurate bomb on the basketball world.

I hate when someone shames me into doing that. It's so damn time-consuming and often spoils a juicy story.
    That's funny because based on all the bogus crap Vecsey has written in the past I figured he felt no shame. Anyway, common sense prevailed this time as he got another opinion:

At least one person close to Bryan bristled when I ran the above suspicious by him.
    It galled the guy even more that I'm speculating Bryan might trespass on Walsh's land without first substantiating whether his Raptors days really are numbered.
    "I know the perception of the staff internally is that Bryan is going to be extended before Richard Peddie steps down at CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment," e-mailed someone in prime position to confirm or deny such an allegation. "I believe Richard 100% when he says publicly he's committed to getting an extension done with Bryan.

"With plausible rumors of a change in majority ownership swirling, and with Richard participating in the selection of his own replacement (he announced his resignation a couple months ago, effective Dec. 31 this year), I believe the last thing he wants to do is to conduct a search for B.C's replacement.

"Richard is not bluffing when he gives his full support to Bryan--so, if a change were to get made it would be entirely the result of ownership's decision, and ownership really likes Bryan. In fact, I believe the ownership/management situation gives B.C. considerable leverage in negotiating an extension."
    "It's hard to fathom the majority ownership making a change with either the Raptors or Leafs GM if they're intent on selling. It's equally hard to fathom them making a change in either position if they're not selling -- and so far they've not said they're selling in the near future."
    someone else on the scene owning peripheral vision on such matters, there's a long-term plan in place, with an emphasis on patience, that's supported by both Bryan and ownership.

"When our team lost Chris Bosh to free agency, traded Hedo Turkoglu and injuries dragged us down more, we became all about rebuilding and focusing on youth development."
    Source: NYpost.com
    Yes
    90.91%
    No
    9.09%

Can't see Colangelo being let go after this season. A lot of people rag on him, but he brings a lot of stability to this franchise.

Comment

Going into this off-season we will be in good shape money wise and have 2 first round picks and a high second rounder. With some good young players (although I am not sold on them yet) in DeMar, Ed, Amir, Jarryd, and Andrea (yes he is still young and good) and a few trade-able assets in Jose, Barbosa, and even Linas, this team has a chance to start to take shape in the near future.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
        Can't see Colangelo being let go after this season. A lot of people rag on him, but he brings a lot of stability to this franchise.
        Only the stability of losing, and ensuring there will be 6 new players on the roster every year.

Where and when has there ever been stability in Colangelo's reign as the GM of the Raptors?

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
          Only the stability of losing, and ensuring there will be 6 new players on the roster every year.

Where and when has there ever been stability in Colangelo's reign as the GM of the Raptors?
          Please do tell me, who exactly would you hire to replace him? The guy has a pretty decent reputation around the league (2 EOY awards), and he's quick to remedy any mistakes he makes. Of course when he was hired, we went to the playoffs 2 years in a row after being out of it for 5-6 seasons. I would say that's pretty good. Everytime something goes wrong, you can't just fire the front office. There are always going to be ups and downs in a franchise. What's transpiring now is what's best for the franchise.

Comment

Though I do completely agree with Mango, stability may not have been the best word. But that has to do with circumstances, rather than ability. In my opinion.
            He brings a calm, and a demeanour to the Raptors that otherwise would be seriously lacking.
            He doesn't panic, and doesn't make 'panic moves'.
            He is HIGHLY respected throughout the league, isn't afraid to make a move, nor is he afraid to admit to being wrong and correct his mistake. And unless the Raptors can get... actually I can't think of another GM I'd like to see on the Raps; and don't say Kevin Pritchard. There's a reason he was fired, and subsequently not hired, since he left Portland.

Comment

hey

love bc...just wished we had rudy gay right now
              "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Though I do completely agree with Mango, stability may not have been the best word. But that has to do with circumstances, rather than ability. In my opinion.
                He brings a calm, and a demeanour to the Raptors that otherwise would be seriously lacking.
                He doesn't panic, and doesn't make 'panic moves'.
                He is HIGHLY respected throughout the league, isn't afraid to make a move, nor is he afraid to admit to being wrong and correct his mistake. And unless the Raptors can get... actually I can't think of another GM I'd like to see on the Raps; and don't say Kevin Pritchard. There's a reason he was fired, and subsequently not hired, since he left Portland.
                So you wouldn't say that's a stabilizing force? I would catergorize that as being a stable figure in the organization.

Comment

Please do tell me, who exactly would you hire to replace him? The guy has a pretty decent reputation around the league (2 EOY awards), and he's quick to remedy any mistakes he makes. Of course when he was hired, we went to the playoffs 2 years in a row after being out of it for 5-6 seasons. I would say that's pretty good. Everytime something goes wrong, you can't just fire the front office. There are always going to be ups and downs in a franchise. What's transpiring now is what's best for the franchise.
                  +100 I STILL have yet to see, on ALL these type of sites, where everyone wants BC fired, what GM wants to WILLINGLY come here and take over. THEN< I want to see what players that they'll bring here. Also, what players this "God sent GM" will let go of, who's either a core player or difference maker. I still say we keep BC. He's a competitor and a great business mind. Is he perfect? Nope. But neither is the "best" GM out there, either.
                  The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                  Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                  www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                  http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

They would have to land a guy like Kevin Pritchard. I don't like how he handled his salary dispute with the Blazers but he does have an eye for talent. And before anyone jumps on me, in regards to any name I mention in here, in no way am I suggesting Colangelo should get axed for that person. Just throwing out names in case Colangelo was let go.

Colangelo has taken a lot of big gambles here and most have failed. Some of his gambles failed in Phoenix as well but he hit some nice homers. I don't see him hitting homers here. He will get extended and if he doesn't become productive during that contact he won't last.
                    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I love the "who would you replace him" with comments like he's made him self irreplaceable. There are many assistant GM's in this league that would love a shot to run the big show. Cho just got his Portland job after being an assistant with the Thunder. Presti was under the same kind of evolution before he got his shot. Just because there is not a name ready to be thrown out, doesn't mean they aren't there. Colangelo is not the only GM in the league folks. Sure he's quick to remedy mistakes.....they are usually the one's he made, O'Neal, Turks, etc, etc. They went to the playoffs 2 years in a row when Bosh and Mitchell were around and the pieces the GM threw together were handled well by the coaching staff at the time. Everyone is now gone except him and the results speak for themselves.

What's transpiring now would be best for the franchise if it didn't include Bryan Colangelo. His basketball philosophy will never win and he is only concerned with putting an entertaining product on the court when the goal should be winning championships.

The collection of talent he has assembled is a joke and there is no stability in this franchise right now. From top on down there are far more questions than answers with the Toronto Raptors franchise.
                      Last edited by sleepz; Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

So you wouldn't say that's a stabilizing force? I would catergorize that as being a stable figure in the organization.
                        So he's stable for being unstable? What's stable about this guy? Does he have a plan of action? Do the Raps have a definitive style of play other than being sieves defensively? Is the young talent on this roster that good that we know we'll be a strong team in a few years? It's been 5 years and the team is in worse shape than when he got here. If this was Babcock running this show for the last 5 years would you be calling him stable? No, you would be calling for his head.

Comment

Just going to throw this out there. Glen Grunwald accomplished more than Bryan Colangelo has in Toronto.

Comment

I love the "who would you replace him" with comments like he's made him self irreplaceable. There are many assistant GM's in this league that would love a shot to run the big show. Cho just got his Portland job as an assistant with the Thunder. Presti was under the same kind of evolution before he got his shot. Colangelo is not the only GM in the league folks. Sure he's quick to remedy mistakes.....they are usually the one's he made, O'Neal, Turks, etc, etc. They went to the playoffs 2 years in a row when Bosh and Mitchell were around and the pieces the GM threw together were handled well by the coaching staff at the time. Everyone is now gone except him and the results speak for themselves.

What's transpiring now would be best for the franchise if it didn't include Bryan Colangelo. His basketball philosophy will never win and he is only concerned with putting an entertaining product on the court when the goal should be winning championships.

The collection of talent he has assembled is a joke and there is no stability in this franchise right now. From top on down there are far more questions than answers with the Toronto Raptors franchsie.
                            I love when people sit back and criticize because it's the easiest thing to do. As of right now, Colangelo is slowly building this team to be a team that can compete year in and out. He tried to appease to a fanbase that was hungry for the playoffs and he did that the first few years. He bent over backwards to please this team's star and when it wasn't enough, he did the right thing by letting him walk.
                            You talk about Rick Cho - what has Cho done since he went to the Blazers? What did he do for the Sonics? He was an assistant GM in 2000 and between that time and 2008, the team made the playoffs twice. Yup, that's success. Presti had the good fortune of having high draft selections in multiple years. It wasn't a case that the Thunder wouldn't drawn, so it wasn't a case that he had to sell the team to the city, that they had to have a winner immediately. They're the only game in town.
                            Let's see how good he is in 5 years time when Durant's contract is up. Let's see him sell Durant on staying in OKC when bigger markets come calling then we can talk about how good the guy is.

It's tough enough being the only franchise not located in the US, so you need a guy who's gonna sell not only the fans, but the players on this team and city. You can't just have a revolving door of front office personnel. You don't exactly build a good reputation that way.

I don't know how you can say there's no stability with this franchise when there are young assets on this team. To discount that is looking at the glass half empty.

Comment

In a city dominated by the Leafs, that plays during the same months, it's important to put an exciting brand of basketball out on the court to entice the fans to buy tickets to the game, to buy merchandise, to tune in to games. But exciting basketball and winning go hand in hand. Who plays losing but exciting basketball?

The collection of talent he has assembled is a joke and there is no stability in this franchise right now. From top on down there are far more questions than answers with the Toronto Raptors franchise.
                              So Davis, DeRozan, Bargnani, Johnson, Bayless are all jokes? Because from what I've seen, those guys have some pretty decent talent. Maybe you're watching something else.

Comment

Working...
                              X