Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does Toronto need to do to get the All-Star game here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does Toronto need to do to get the All-Star game here?

I think its about time Toronto had the Biggest showcase right in our own backyard.
    All the celebs love Toronto. The athletes would "eat-up" White Vegas.
    Air Canada Center is TOP OF THE LINE.

Fan Base is Guarenteed.

You think the NBA is scared to take it away from the American population?
    Golden State got it a few years back when they were a pretty trash team so I don't think that has ever held them back from selecting a city.

MLSE has said they wont bid for one until they have finished building up Maple Leaf Square... i dont know what else needs to be built, they finished the condos didnt they?

Comment

If there is an NBA all star game in Toronto it won't be for a while. I'm not sure about the part of ALL celebs liking the city. Toronto has often gotten the reputation of being team that no one wants to play for, which could explain out lack star power. I've also noticed that every all star game since 2006 has been held in a warmer or milder city. 2006 in Houston ,2007 in Las Vegas , 2008 in New Orleans, 2009 in Phoenix, 2010 in Arlington, 2011 in Los Angeles and 2012 is in Orlando. While it does get milder in these cities on occasion , it is for the most part warm. I don't think the idea of the all star game here would fly well as a whole. The franchise usually gets shot on by the US media so I don't see it being done any time soon

Comment

Well when I said celebs I meant the Jack Nickolsons and the Spike Lees. I've also read that the players actually love coming to Toronto (look up White Vegas) but I imagine it's more to do with the lack of winning culture that has lead to the lack of Star power. But TIFF and Caribana have given Toronto a good reputation and anything like this would only solidify that.

Very good point about the warmer weather destinations though. Hadn't thought of that... hrmmm... ya good point. haha

And I agree that the US media doesn't really 'like' Toronto, but perhaps that might be the reason the NBA does it. And also to have that whole 'First All-Star game outside of US borders' bru-haha. That is what the NBA is leaning towards.
        If they have an All-Star game in China or wherever before they have one here, I'll be pissed. hah

Comment

I remember Doug Smith wrote something about how the ACC isn't built well for an ASG and as long as the Raps are using it there won't be one here.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

also i forgot, they need a place to put the fan jam or whatever that thing is called where they have all the fan activities for fans during the days before the events. The most logical location for this would be the convention centre, however i remember reading somewhere that the autoshow or something has it booked for many years during the same time span that the game would be takin place.

can anyone confirm/deny that?

Comment

The NBA wants to internationalize the game so why not put an all star game here? I could see it going to Puerto Rico. It's still US territory so it might make sense. I'd suggest doing it as Rogers Centre to see how many people we could get, but first off it isn't the most glamourous building and secondly the Autoshow directly coincides with the game. There is also the chance of the Leafs having a game on one of the days. So they'd have to work around that.

Comment

If it were to be held at the ACC there is always the chance that the Leafs have a home game.

Comment

Rg1990 wrote: View Post
                  If it were to be held at the ACC there is always the chance that the Leafs have a home game.
                  means nothing, thats the easiest thing to move around, the NHL just wouldn't schedule a game that weekend. Both leagues talk to each other to make sure that doesnt happen, the same issue could've happened in LA with the Kings

Comment

I think for us to get an all-star game here, we'd have to have a more winning culture. I mean, there's already preseason games that happen with Raptors in Montreal and Vancouver, and then we got that London game coming up...I think it'll happen soon, but just not right away...Maybe, they've even asked MLSE, but we've said we're not ready yet.

Comment

Madman wrote: View Post
                      also i forgot, they need a place to put the fan jam or whatever that thing is called where they have all the fan activities for fans during the days before the events. The most logical location for this would be the convention centre, however i remember reading somewhere that the autoshow or something has it booked for many years during the same time span that the game would be takin place.

can anyone confirm/deny that?
                      You are absolutely correct. There is no conference centre space in close enough proximity to ACC. Also, which I found hard to believe, there is a lack of hotels - supposedly.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        You are absolutely correct. There is no conference centre space in close enough proximity to ACC. Also, which I found hard to believe, there is a lack of hotels - supposedly.
                        But is the NBA All-Star thaaat much more resource intensive than the NHL game? We handled that juust fine. I understand they are different levels, but I can't see it being completely different situations and requirements.
                        Suppose the Conference space coould be a problem, but they usually announce the Host city like 2-3 years before they get it. Thats plenty of time to book appropriate space. I think..? haha

Comment

I read last year that the owners preferred to have the game in warmer climates. It's a nasty time of the year and I don't blame them.

Doug did say something about it a few weeks ago and said that they don't have a good enough facility for the fan jam. I don't know how that could be true, U of T must have facilities they could use.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            But is the NBA All-Star thaaat much more resource intensive than the NHL game? We handled that juust fine. I understand they are different levels, but I can't see it being completely different situations and requirements.
                            Suppose the Conference space coould be a problem, but they usually announce the Host city like 2-3 years before they get it. Thats plenty of time to book appropriate space. I think..? haha
                            My understanding is the Fan Jam and otehr ativities are all extremely close to one another - like out one door from the arena walk 10 steps and in through another for the festivities.

Comment

I think it's complete B.S. that Las Vegas was picked over Toronto a few years back.

Comment

Working...
                              X