Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does Toronto need to do to get the All-Star game here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
    U of T must have facilities they could use.
    Very good point. Or hell, even Convert the SkyDome ala 1996 into a BBall FanJam Massive amaazingness. That would be cool. haha
    I think the ACC IS top of the line and Doug is just a disgruntled media memeber. Theres plenty of em. haha I love Doug though, don't get me wrong. He can be cranky sometimes.

Comment

Isn't it chosen by financial need? Teams that need money usually host the ASG to gain some revenue? I don't know. Thats just my assumption. (New Orleans, L.A., Houston) ?

Comment

How did Vegas get one then? Or L.A. this year? Didn't Dallas have it last year in Jerry Jones' new $1.2B facility?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          My understanding is the Fan Jam and otehr ativities are all extremely close to one another - like out one door from the arena walk 10 steps and in through another for the festivities.
          Even if the Metro Toronto Convention Centre is booked, there is always the Exhibition Grounds. That's more than big enough to hold the NBA fan jam. It's about 3.5 kilometers between there and the Air Canada Centre.

There are a lot of hotel rooms to help accomodate the NBA all-star game. When I went last year, I stayed in Las Colinas, which is about 20 minutes from the Dallas downtown core, so I'm sure the hotels in Scarborough, Etobicoke and North York could accomodate it.

I think the Raptors brass would like to hold it when this team is more relevant. The area around the Air Canada Centre and Maple Leaf Square still isn't fully developed. There is still a lot of construction going on.
          Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Feb 8, 2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

The ASG in Dallas was a nightmare to get to. Arlington is out of the way and there's no public transportation there or to get there.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              You are absolutely correct. There is no conference centre space in close enough proximity to ACC. Also, which I found hard to believe, there is a lack of hotels - supposedly.
              Metro Toronto Convention Centre is 900 meters from the Air Canada Centre
              The exhibition grounds is 3.5 kilometers from the Air Canada Centre

I find it hard to believe that there is a lack of hotels. The city hosts Caribana every year and that brings in a lot more people to the city than the all-star game would - and there are hotels available for that event.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                I remember Doug Smith wrote something about how the ACC isn't built well for an ASG and as long as the Raps are using it there won't be one here.
                That's rubbish. The NBA had it in Las Vegas a few years back at the Thomas & Mack Centre (which holds over a thousand less people than the Air Canada Centre). That was a nightmare. It took forever to get from the strip to the game.

Comment

David Aldridge answers it for us. Apparently we just need to apply... which we haven't done. Ever.

QUESTION: What are your thoughts on the possibility of the NBA All-Star weekend happening in Toronto sometime soon? With the globalization of the game, having preseason and now regular season games hosted in Europe, doesn't it make logical sense to host the first All-Star game outside of the United States in Toronto, an NBA city? I'm not sure if there is a weather issue when deciding on the locations (i.e. the last six cities L.A., Dallas, Phoenix, New Orleans, Las Vegas and Houston are all warm February locations), but Toronto isn't exactly a slouch when it comes to hosting world-class international events. I think it'd be a resounding success!
                  ANSWER Please tell me who I see about this, Kiran. I miss the regular trips to the 416 that came in the early, Vince and T-Mac days. I don't think weather would be any more of a factor there than in, say Minneapolis and Salt Lake City, two cities that have hosted All-Star games in the last 20 years. (There was a near blizzard in SLC in '93, but that didn't stop folks from enjoying themselves.) I asked the league about this on Friday and was told that they don't believe the powers that be in Toronto have ever applied to host an ASW. It's always a hassle for cities and owners to host the weekend, because they have to invariably displace season-ticket holders who expect tickets to the game and the Saturday night events, and either don't get them or are pushed up into the rafters. But Toronto is one of my favorite NBA cities and I'd love to be up there for an All-Star.

Comment

Working...
                  X