Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grindhouse
    replied
    I once heard ray allen call the NBA the "No Boy's Allowed" league. This game puts a ridiculous amount of strain on your joints and the only way I know of to survive the rigorous punishment done to your body is to strengthen the muscles around those joints. You have to completely buy into these professional trainers program or you will not benefit at all, just look at Sonny Weems and his whole I don't stretch ever thing, what a idiot. Look at bosh's body before he left in the summer, look at demar's body and look at Ed Davis, you can look at them and see they bought into the program completely.

whether or not raptors are at fault, disregarding that kleiza played in 2 different leagues this year I fully expect him to be gone shortly after he recovers from his injury.

Leave a comment:

replied
    My biggest criticism is that management is allowing to guys play hurt. I don't believe that they were forced to play, I'm just shocked that they are allowed to after expressing pain. Plus the misdiagnoses was pathetic. Regarding Kleiza no one could find an issue with him in Toronto and yet he goes to Denver and it becomes obvious? Come on.

Here's an article about Bargnani that just came out:

hose injury problems have negatively affected both individual and team performances as players have felt obligated to play even when it looked like they should be on the bench. There just wasn't anyone else to put in the games. Amir Johnson has played with a sore back, Barbosa has played through a sore shoulder and a wrist injury that will likely require offseason surgery, Jerryd Bayless started one game on a sprained ankle that was painful for the people watching as he hobbled up and down the court, and Jose Calderon has been playing on a sore feet for weeks now.

"Sometimes it is being forced to play certain players out of position or too many minutes so they are not given the time to recover," said Gherardini. "With Andrea maybe there have been times that we took him by the neck and forced him probably more than he actually (should) when he needed to rest.

"The quality of his season changed when he had those physical issues and he tried to play with them and they got worse. That somehow got him out of sync."
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18685

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Exactly. I'd say Scott McCullough has a very solid reputation around the league as a very reliable trainer. He can't help it if his players are made of glass.
    I wouldn't even go that far about the players.

Barbosa had a bad wrist injury last season and falls on it early this year. Hamstring pull can happen to anyone.

Weems bad back - admits to no stretching and preventative stuff.

Dorsey has sore knees - I guess 265lbs does put pressure on the knees.

Bargnani strains his achilles - could happen to anyone. Knees are sore - what basketball player doesn't have sore knees at some point?

Calderon has feet issues - the guy has had many issues, add the feet to the list.

Bayless rolls his ankle - 3 times in one game, versus NOH if I remember correct.

Amir has back spasms after getting whacked by Gasol (b@st@rd!). Back spasms are brutal but the key is getting the muscles warm and stretched and then keeping them warm - which appears what Amir/staff did to keep him playing.

Reggie gets a stress fracture - that might be glass worthy - but again awkward landing = freak injury.

Davis seems to have been handled perfectly as he continues his rehab playing without a brace now - just the sleeve.

Comparing Garbo or Hedo is b.s. as well. Garbo, as much as I love him, had a horrific injury and came back way early to play for his national team. Garbo and the Spanish national team are to blame for that situation. He came back injured after the Raps, who hold his contract, asked him not to play, which he did not comply with, of course. Hedo is hardly a reliable source as anyone knows. The fact he got himself in shape 2 years after the signing of his contract is disgusting and speaks to him as a professional basketball player than anything else. He did not have himself physically ready to play basketball at an NBA level during any period of his time in Toronto.

Kleiza appears to be an extremely unfortunate situation and I hope he addresses it publically sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

replied
    joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Exactly. I'd say Scott McCullough has a very solid reputation around the league as a very reliable trainer. He can't help it if his players are made of glass.
    Every Raptor has been injured, probably why he was chosen. He has the most work out of any trainer obviously. Plus who wants to work during the break?

I'm just curious if he has taught Sonny to stretch yet? Whether he has strengthened Bayless' and Calderon's ankles? Curious how long he will allow Amir to play with back spasms so the guy can develop Tracy McGrady type back problems. This McCullough guy sounds like the real deal. BC may conspire something sending him to the all-star game. Has anyone gotten seriously hurt in a all-star game. Hope not.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    MacCullough can't be that bad of a trainer. He is going to be the East All-Star trainer. He also spent 6 years as head athletic trainer for the Memphis Grizzlies before the Raptors.

http://media.nba.com/2011/allstar/20...ase/index.html

Leave a comment:

• jrdyck
    replied
    I'm thinking the story probably went more along the lines of...
    -Kleiza tells Raptors that his knee hurts.
    -Raptors look at knee, realize there is a problem, but cannot tell how serious it is.
    -Raptors tell Kleiza to either play through the pain or go in for surgery.
    -Kleiza does not want surgery and so plays through it.
    -As season goes on, knee becomes worse and can no longer play through pain.
    -Raptors tell Kleiza that surgery is the only other option.
    -Kleiza has surgery.

Now I'm not in a doctor in any sense of the word, but doesn't this seem like a much more plausible course of events?

Besides, how on earth would a Greek newspaper of all places received word of this before anyone else?
    Last edited by jrdyck; Sat Feb 5, 2011, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AJM
    replied
    If this is true, Kleiza must be a hell of a professional that he has not talked about it to the media.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    MacCullough can't be that bad of a trainer. He is going to be the East All-Star trainer. He also spent 6 years as head athletic trainer for the Memphis Grizzlies before the Raptors.

http://media.nba.com/2011/allstar/20...ase/index.html

Leave a comment:

• webcrawler89
    replied
    Great, even our doctors are made out to be incompetent....

Seriously, this is horrible, not only for the Raptors, but for all of Canada. You know some crazy American jingoists are gonna pick this up and talk about our "inferior" healthcare system, and that in turn is really gonna affect future players from wanting to come here.
    Remember when we drafted Ed and journalists were asking him about tax laws? Now it's gonna be "So, do you trust their doctors to keep you healthy?"...

ugh... This is like a bad nightmare.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    666 wrote: View Post
    He was making over 6M a year. He opted out of the 2nd year of his contract to sign something more long-term. In all reality he would make nearly the same money... easily can get 4M a year and for a shorter season too.
    I was aware what his contract in Greece was. It is important to keep in mind that the NBA is the biggest stage in the world, he surely wanted to show he belonged after sitting behind Melo, Greece is hardly the most politically settled place in the world, the money in the NBA is guaranteed, and the travel, arenas and amenities are nicer. I'm sure there was much more than money in determining where he wanted to play.

I read he is going back to Toronto in a week not off to Lithuania.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Even if the article is not completely true, I find it suspicious that literally every single Raptor aside maybe JuJu and Demar has missed games due to injury. Why do we continue to play Amir and Bargs when they are noticeably in pain? Same goes for Bayless and Calderon.
    Injuries bugs happen. It is rare for a player to play all 82 games healthy. The NBA schedule is extremely demanding. Most human bodies cannot take the wear and tear the season demands. Guys are playing hurt with minor nagging injuries because so many guys are out with serious injuries. It seems now the team might be in a rotation of sorts with Bayless sitting last night.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    As I'm sure you know, he played in Greece last year. Maybe someone there is pissed off he left? Pissed off the Raps made an offer that they couldn't compete with? Trying to make the NBA/Raptors look bad in general. I don't know, totally speculating and trying to think critically about the situation. I'd like to know Kleiza's thoughts or comments on the accusations.
    He was making over 6M a year. He opted out of the 2nd year of his contract to sign something more long-term. In all reality he would make nearly the same money... easily can get 4M a year and for a shorter season too.

I'm waiting to hear from Kleiza as well. I'm surprised the Lithuanian media is not confirming this. I think he might be in Colorado though but once he gets to LTU there should be updated news.

Sketchy situation and regardless of that article this is a blow to the Raptors. No one is going to want to play here.

Leave a comment:

replied
    bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
    Maybe our biggest concern going forward is our medical staff. You guys are right in the fact we have huge health problems with our players. Maybe Kleiza is a lot better then we saw. Damn shame I have verbally abused him more than a few times due to his play.

Did not know our medical staff might have been mistreating him the whole time.
    Yea very unfortunate. And his knee problems started in the first game of the preseason. That was just bad luck but now it questions the competency of the medical staff.

The coincidence is too outrageous. Why is everyone hurt. Bargs and Amir continue to play in pain. Calderon and Bayless are game-time decisions every other night. Who is healthy on this time? Julian Wright... 1 out of 15? Demar had hamstring issues in Nov and Jay Triano said that Derozan needs to learn to play through pain. Fortunately nothing bad happened there.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    The scary part is that this isn't the Lithuanian federation pointing the blame. It's not in the LTU press but rather in the Greek press. What incentive does Greece have?
    As I'm sure you know, he played in Greece last year. Maybe someone there is pissed off he left? Pissed off the Raps made an offer that they couldn't compete with? Trying to make the NBA/Raptors look bad in general. I don't know, totally speculating and trying to think critically about the situation. I'd like to know Kleiza's thoughts or comments on the accusations.

Leave a comment:

• bloodyhandedgod
    replied
    Maybe our biggest concern going forward is our medical staff. You guys are right in the fact we have huge health problems with our players. Maybe Kleiza is a lot better then we saw. Damn shame I have verbally abused him more than a few times due to his play.

Did not know our medical staff might have been mistreating him the whole time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X