Sloan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloan

Word on the street is that Jerry Sloan is going to step down as head coach of the Jazz. Should we dump Triano and persue him?
    Deadallus

cough cough...puts down crack pipe...

Comment

Deadallus wrote: View Post
      Word on the street is that Jerry Sloan is going to step down as head coach of the Jazz. Should we dump Triano and persue him?
      You think at age 70 that Sloan wants to come here and coach? You'd have to pay him at least 10M/season to consider.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's unlikely that Sloan would consider Toronto, but Colangelo wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least pick up the phone and make a call to see if there's a chance. Not sure what you'd try to sell him on, other than idea of coming here for the pure challenge of it, a young team that he can mould in his image, and Toronto as a city.
        I think it's more likely that he'll wait and see what potentially talented team underachieves in the playoffs and decides to punt their coach. McMillan's contract in Portland is up this summer and they're a team that's never quite lived up to their potential. Another first-round exit (or playoff miss) and I think he's gone.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
          Yeah, I think it's unlikely that Sloan would consider Toronto, but Colangelo wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least pick up the phone and make a call to see if there's a chance. Not sure what you'd try to sell him on, other than idea of coming here for the pure challenge of it, a young team that he can mould in his image, and Toronto as a city.
          I think it's more likely that he'll wait and see what potentially talented team underachieves in the playoffs and decides to punt their coach. McMillan's contract in Portland is up this summer and they're a team that's never quite lived up to their potential. Another first-round exit (or playoff miss) and I think he's gone.
          I think BC would be doing his job by NOT calling a 70 yr old hall of fame coach and wasting his/our time.

Our rebuild is gonna take at least 5 yrs, you think Sloan will take us to the promised land at age 75?

Comment

Guys, it doesn't make sense.

Raptors:
            One of the youngest teams in the league needing years to growth and development before they can hope to contend.
            Jerry Sloan: 69 years old, not much time left in the tank.

Raptors: Using full court/half court hybrid system. "New School" GM values full court offense, and consistently fills roster with offensive minded players.
            Jerry Sloan:"Old School" coach. Runs the half court. Values blue collar, hard working players who play defense and rebound.

Comment

provide a source to your info because it doesn't really make snese that he woiuld step down after agrreing to a one year extension.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LINK

It's like everywhere on the Internet by the way.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                  provide a source to your info because it doesn't really make snese that he woiuld step down after agrreing to a one year extension.
                  Really? You clearly have the internet, because you're talking to us, and yet you can't just go to NBA.com? haha ..Just saying.

But ya, I thought the same thing though, about the 1 year extension being a bit odd. But me and Apollo were talkin, and I'm thinkin it's the franchise trying to make it look they wanted him reeal bad, but then HE "chose to leave".. I think they fired him, but tried to make it look at well and good.
                  Last edited by Joey; Thu Feb 10, 2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Aside from the typical musings about weather it works or not, Mr. Sloan deserves the time to himself more than anything else. The more significant thing to ponder is how poorly the Jazz have treated him in backing Deron Williams rather than a man who is synonymous with NBA basketball in Salt Lake. This is like Scotty Bowman, Sparky Anderson, Tom Landry or Chuck Noll getting hung out to dry in favour of a prima donna. An organization that has any sense of what kind of presence they want to have ought to know better. In letting Sloan go, the Jazz part with a huge chunk of their reputation and class in their community and in the league. A setback that they may never recover from.

Comment

sillydebate wrote: View Post
                      Aside from the typical musings about weather it works or not, Mr. Sloan deserves the time to himself more than anything else. The more significant thing to ponder is how poorly the Jazz have treated him in backing Deron Williams rather than a man who is synonymous with NBA basketball in Salt Lake. This is like Scotty Bowman, Sparky Anderson, Tom Landry or Chuck Noll getting hung out to dry in favour of a prima donna. An organization that has any sense of what kind of presence they want to have ought to know better. In letting Sloan go, the Jazz part with a huge chunk of their reputation and class in their community and in the league. A setback that they may never recover from.
                      Precisely why they're trying so hard to make it look like he's choosing to leave. Clever management at least. haha

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        Really? You clearly have the internet, because you're talking to us, and yet you can't just go to NBA.com? haha ..Just saying.

But ya, I thought the same thing though, about the 1 year extension being a bit odd. But me and Apollo were talkin, and I'm thinkin it's the franchise trying to make it look they wanted him reeal bad, but then HE "chose to leave".. I think they fired him, but tried to make it look at well and good.
                        ya, my bad just logged on and didn't check.

anyways, i wuld have totally believed him anyways had it not been for that one year extension thing just days ago, it's so dumb how it usually works out that way.

plus, i think jerry is looking for a title in the next few years which the jazz kind of seem on the slow decline. williams will be traded in the next few years and they'll prolly blow up the team, they acquired jefferson one year too late in my opinion and they should not have got rid of brewer or matthews which ever.

they would have had jefferson,boozer,kinky,brewer or matthews, and williams. with okur as the sixth man.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Unfortunately Toronto never had a good coach. The problem in Toronto is that there is no pressure, we just went through 13 game losing streak, we are starting another one and it's "business as usual", most of the media is blind folded, they are on the Raptors payroll one way or another, so they can't speak their mind openly. Years ago fans of one of the best Croatian soccer teams got very angry because players were not trying at all and thought only about their contracts and fancy sport cars. So they entered into a team practice and took off the jerseys of some of the players, saying that they do not deserve to wear them. Needless to say, the team played much better and became multiple champions in following years. How many Raptors players would have kept their jerseys if we had more Croatian fans around here?
                          I'm sure that Triano is a nice guy, but it takes more than that to lead NBA team successfully. Toronto is probably the only franchise in NBA that never had a coach over .500 during his years with the Raptors (the best one, believe it or not, is Lenny Wilkens who was .459 beween 2000-2003). I can't remember any game we won because our coach "outcoached" the opposition, but on the other hand there were hundreds of close games we lost due to elementary coaching mistakes (this was the case not only with Triano, but also under Mitchell, O'Neal, Wilkens…)
                          Getting Sloan is too good to be true, but having someone like him will bring some accountability and stop the street ball attitude (scoring is the only thing that matters around here). It will help develop the talents of Davis and DeRozan, clear the wasted space in the locker room and put the franchise on the right track towards the ultimate goal – to win the championship. Wasn`t that the goal of Colangelo when he took over, to build a championship team (or at least a contender)? How many more losing seasons can this fan base support? It's time to do something right and start the building process. The good side of the basketball is that there are only 5 players on the team, so with a couple of good moves you can quickly turn around the franchise. It can be done, just remember that the Celtics were much worse than the Raptors few years ago, but KG and Allen brought the championship almost "overnight" to Boston. So, it's possible to do it without consecutive lottery pick years. It just takes some sharp eyes to recognize the players who can impact your team in such a way, and most of all, get players who have strong will and do whatever it takes to win games (to adjust their play even if it means that their stats will decrease, for the benefit of the team).

Comment

really makes you scratch ur head why they wouldnt let him ride out the season. They are "panicking" because they are 17-11 at home this year. makes you think eh, look at our abysmal record, and JT is still "our guy".

Wonder what Matt and Jack are gonna talk about now, how many times did we hear them preach about "Utah does it right, stick with Sloan, he is 'their guy'" yaaddayaddayadaaa

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                              really makes you scratch ur head why they wouldnt let him ride out the season. They are "panicking" because they are 17-11 at home this year. makes you think eh, look at our abysmal record, and JT is still "our guy".

Wonder what Matt and Jack are gonna talk about now, how many times did we hear them preach about "Utah does it right, stick with Sloan, he is 'their guy'" yaaddayaddayadaaa
                              He's not being forced out. He wants out.
                              Deadallus

Comment

Working...
                              X